"hello" and a patch

"hello" and a patch

Postby domtron » 12 Jun 2013, 16:50

Hello, Ran into OD while looking through the freegamedev forum index. I have built OD from source and played a little with the code. I am a programmer in the USA with most of my experience in Python and Javascript/Node.js, both self-taught. I have a C++ college class coming up so I have been studying the language ahead of time. I usually have no time to program during the school year, but I'm good at coming back to the same OS project once I get free time. I previously worked on http://blog.PARPG.net/(python game), under the same username, until the project was closed down, this is why I'm looking for a new project to help out.

I read through some of the code and decided to fix one of the simple TODO tags. I renumbered the tile IDs, so nullTileType was 0, in Tile.h and reflected the changes in the map file(with a python script) and Tile.cpp >> Tile::getTilePassability(). I rebuilt it and tested it and didn't run into any errors. I have attached a patch file and the python script I used to edit the level file. I haven't made a patch in a long time so tell me if there is a problem.

--Domtron Vox
Attachments
nullTileType_renumber.patch
(276.55 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
add_one_to_map_types.py
(545 Bytes) Downloaded 370 times
domtron

Re: "hello" and a patch

Postby Danimal » 12 Jun 2013, 18:32

Hello Domtron, your help is most welcome, right now our two core coders are taking a rest from the project due to life issues (like a thesis) so we are left with only artists at the moment. Any help you can provide would be great to us.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 12 Jun 2013, 18:49

Cool, thanks for the help and welcome to the forum. The development is pretty slow at the moment and the project really needs programmers and of course other contributors as well, even if they just provide ideas.

It's sad that PARPG didn't survive. I was looking forward to playing a good, traditional, post-apocalyptic RPG. :(
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 12 Jun 2013, 20:51

Hi again.

As stated, it's really just skorpio and danimal keeping the project alive right now, neither are coders. Though at least the art lives on in AgentKeeper.
If the project is going to go anywere we will need both someone that can code, and someone that can do management as well.
I've read about your project on the forums here, sad that it ended.
I think I might as well just give you commit access to the repository if you want to help out (that also goes for kervate if he should show up again), it should be less work for me that adding a patch, and I can't really spend much time at the computer these days. If you make an account on sourceforge.net and send me the username and I'll sort it out.
oln

Postby domtron » 12 Jun 2013, 22:38

Thanks for the friendly welcome. As I said my c++ skills are not great but I'll try to help out where I can. If I feel adventurous and want to do something other then solve TODOs in the code is there anything specific I should work on. Should I be following the ticket tracker or is it out of date? I talked to Paul424 on IRC and he said to work on the map editor, is there any kind of wiki page with information about it(I know there is a forum thread) like mock ups and the like?

@oln: thanks, I prefer using git. I pm'ed the info to you and am reading through the SF git setup documentation.

thanks
--Domtron Vox
domtron

Postby svenskmand » 13 Jun 2013, 21:42

Welcome aboard domtron :D I am very happy to hear you want to help out :) I am the guy writing the thesis, and just wanted to check in an tell you all that I will be coming back ;) And also help with the code, never coded much C++ before only Java, so it will be nice to brush up on the C++ :D
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby domtron » 14 Jun 2013, 04:09

Glad to be here. Just straightened out my git repo and pushed my first commit. Plus I read 60ish pages in one of my c++ books.

A thesis, wow my dad got a PhD... I can barely stand getting an undergrad degree :P is your thesis on programming or are you just a person of many talents?
domtron

Postby svenskmand » 04 Jul 2013, 23:31

It is on Dynamic Data Structures :) I actually have not programmed for OD yet. But I like programming, I mostly program in Java. I have mostly done 2D artwork, lore/backstory, aligment system and other stuff :) But I plan on helping with the programming when I get back :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 04 Jul 2013, 23:37

Svend, the guys are trying to clean up the wiki, can you help? you know many things had to be cut, like the alignement system and a couple of factions...
Danimal
OD Moderator