OpenDungeons TODO

Re: OpenDungeons TODO

Postby paul424 » 04 Mar 2014, 09:52

Well for me , if you can dig in OD code and give your own patches you are quite good programer.
Anyone can change the applied color texture on floor tiles,
the most annoying bug are the scratches when playing sounds with the newest mulitmedia library -- sfml ( after port , ONLY on LINUX)
What do you want to change in camera movement ? , it's quite fine for me :D ... ( after I have had learned all this :D ) ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 04 Mar 2014, 17:47

Hi paul, :)

paul424 {l Wrote}:Well for me , if you can dig in OD code and give your own patches you are quite good programer.

Thanks a lot. Let's wait for when I have them ready for inclusion and we'll see whether I am actually good. ;)
Anyway, I still need to bugfix two minor regressions before proposing the patches.

paul424 {l Wrote}:Anyone can change the applied color texture on floor tiles,

Do you know what texture it is, and where in the code it is applied?
(I might be able to check that but I'd rather finish what I'm on, atm.)

paul424 {l Wrote}:What do you want to change in camera movement ? , it's quite fine for me :D ... ( after I have had learned all this :D ) ...

Well, what was discussed, in fact: :)
- Remove the camera strafing movement when going on the screen borders, since it prevents from scrolling the objectives window for instance,
and get in the way when playing anyway.
- Remove the tilting when dragging the mouse and going left or right of the screen, as it also gets in the way when you're selecting a range of tiles, a creature, ...

- Make the Q and E keys rotate the view left and right.
- Make page up, page down tilt the view up or down.

Would this be working, would I find the camera perfect, personally. :)

paul424 {l Wrote}:the most annoying bug are the scratches when playing sounds with the newest mulitmedia library -- sfml ( after port , ONLY on LINUX)

As SFML is a high-level library over OpenAL, the issue you'll have is to define whether this is coming from OpenAL or SFML. What is the sample rate of the sounds already?
Do you have a way to test sounds using OpenAL? E.g: http://devmaster.net/posts/2888/openal- ... atic-sound

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 06 Mar 2014, 02:22

Hi all, :)

I've pushed my local enhancement to 'development' after a lot of testing: (I'll upload a new binary in a few days.)
- Removed a lot of dead code, fixed a lot of code style, and merged certain members and classes to be much more straight forward about their use.
Eg: I merged the EditorContext and EditorMode Class into one as only two rendering functions where useful in the context class.
The ModeContext class was renamed InputManager because it is simply what it does.
- The app is now using a stack of AppModes which will load on demand, instead of being uselessly preloaded in an array.
- The render manager only loads the meshes once instead than for each context, thus preventing an ogre exception when loading the same resource twice.
- The map loading code was semi-merged into one and only function in the GameMap class. It should be easier later to improve that now.
- Simplified a lot the code complexity on the input handling in the editor and in-game with several benefits:
The light and cursor mesh now appear from the start and not when you click the first time.
The editor can now put several tiles when dragging and can move creatures again.
- The camera rotation has been fixed.
- For everyone, here is the game commands in the development branch:
WASD/arrows : move camera
Q/E : Rotate left, right.
Page up/down: tilt up, down.
Home/End- Mouse wheel: Move higher/lower. -> The mouse wheel is functioning. the keys are fixed locally, I'll push that asap.

For those willing to try the editor:
R can change the type of tile you put.

Note that the game still crash at exit or when you load the editor after the game and vice versa, but I've removed half of the reasons of it.

Ah, and last but not least, I'm sure we might enhance the tile missing walls if we can manage to debug the function Tile::refreshMesh() which reload the meshes
according to their neighbours.

I've got some other work atm, but after that, I'll keep bugfixing the GUI handling which can desync easily atm, especially with the console.

EDIT:
Paul, could you copy the Test.level file from the level_git folder into the SVN levels/ folder? (Or maybe I have access to SVN?)
Once done, we'll be able to delete the levels_git/ folder which is redundant. Thanks!

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 06 Mar 2014, 14:56

Quick update:
I "fixed" the FAQ.txt file to make it more readable, up-to-date and complete:
https://github.com/Bertram25/OpenDungeo ... nt/FAQ.txt

Tell me what you think! Can I merge that?

The missing tiles seen on the map were due to a mistake of mine because I forgot to remove the a from the first version of certain tile mesh files.
This will be fixed in the next uploaded version. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 06 Mar 2014, 17:56

Yeah , you have done great job , in improving my FAQ,
only , why you have removed the flaming quetsion about STL ? It's always useful if someone is going to rise it in the future .
Hmm you can just restate it to more polite form if you wish , ...
Always try to avoid removing certain Q&A if they are already in the FAQ.
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 07 Mar 2014, 09:38

Thanks, Paul. :)

Yeah, I removed the STL question part because, as you righteously said, it was put just like a flaming thread's answer.
I removed it at first because, to me, STL is a de-facto standard nowadays, and such a question, especially turned into such a criticism won't likely happen anymore.
More importantly, I also feared it would have a negative impact on the users reading the FAQ, since it's one of the first file people happen to read when they have questions
and start looking at the source.

But you're right, I'll readd it, but in a more polite way.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 07 Mar 2014, 09:57

and now?
https://github.com/Bertram25/OpenDungeo ... nt/FAQ.txt
EDIT:
Did a slighter update to the README:
https://github.com/Bertram25/OpenDungeo ... ent/README

EDIT2:
Nice surprise, I managed somehow to understand the material language doc from Ogre. :)
This means I was able to fix most of the models used on map. I'll upload a new binary asap with everything new.

There is one thing though, the Kobold.mesh model seems neither to be using the "Kobold.material" file or the "Kobold_skin" and "Kobold_skin/TWOSIDE" declaration within.
@Skorpio, Danimal: Can one of you fix that in the model and re-export?

Thanks a lot!
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 15 Mar 2014, 02:17

Hi Guys, :)

Latest development version has got the following cool features:
- Kobold texturing fixed (The material name was including the image filename, which was misleading. I guess it will need to be fixed later on)
--> No more untextured creatures. :)
- Fixed the Gui code to be in sync with the current mode. Now, each application mode is in charge of requesting its gui sheet at activation time.
This is making it all much more readable.
The application modes now have a activate() function used to do custom logic when their loaded or the focus is put back on them.
- ^ This permitted to get the console work properly. I mean you can now safely enter/exit the console mode.
- ^ This also permitted me to make sure the editor tool box was loaded fine by the engine and I also upgraded the corresponding layout file.
This means the editor has now a palette with buttons to select the tile type again.
- I also made so that you no more pick up a creature when you're in the process of adding rooms or a trap as it was annoying.
- I fixed the tilting lower bound so that you can't end up in an inverted camera and/or get stuck in the lowest tilting value.
--> The camera is now fully working. :)

Behind the scene, I carried on my quest of removing useless and messy local references of singletons, code cleanups, and such.

I also uploaded the fixed material file, the Editor layout file and the CEED project file (for overall gui edition) on the SVN repo.

What's on the road is:
- Adding the ability to remove a tile and let only ground.
- Add the ability to put castle walls.
- Remove creatures
- Add creatures and rooms.
- Save a map.

I'll thus be working on the editor toolbox and editor logic to add those options.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 15 Mar 2014, 11:49

Amazing Betram! :D ; while you are at it, there is still surely a bug in the mouse control, middle button click any creature and game crashes, as i remember this created a small windows that showed the creature level, hp,... ; but seeing how broken cegui was, no wonder it crash the game.
Im itching to have a proper editor and making a few maps!
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 15 Mar 2014, 11:58

That's great Bertram. When will you upload a new OD version for Windows? Do normal and spec maps work correctly now or only the color textures?
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 15 Mar 2014, 12:36

hi guys. :)

Danimal {l Wrote}:middle button click any creature and game crashes, as i remember this created a small windows that showed the creature level, hp,... ; but seeing how broken cegui was, no wonder it crash the game.

True. I disabled this in the editor (to avoid frustrating people) but forgot to do the same in the game mode.
I can disable it easily but I'd need time to properly investigate. Is this something wanted for the next release/a priority or not really?

Skorpio {l Wrote}:That's great Bertram. When will you upload a new OD version for Windows? Do normal and spec maps work correctly now or only the color textures?

Sorry, I won't be able this week-end. More likely the next week.
As for normal and spec maps, if you mean on meshes, to me they are applied. I'm not 100% sure of what is happening atm and whether it is working the way you intend it to,
but the textures looks to be applied to me.
Now, please note that certain meshes have the same texture for texturing, normal maps and specular maps and I don't really know whether this is intended.

If you think I don't get what you mean, feel free to give a more precise explanation, so I'll more likely know where to look in the code, but also to clearly state my ignorance. ;)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 15 Mar 2014, 12:37

[ 68%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/OpenDungeons.bin.dir/source/MiniMap.cpp.o
/home/tom/Opendungeons/opendungeons/source/Gui.cpp:408:24: error: ‘const string Gui::MM’ is not a static member of ‘class Gui’
const std::string Gui::MM = "MainMenu";

Ok , I fixed that myself and git pushed .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 15 Mar 2014, 12:49

Thanks for pointing out, Paul!

Good point, it's my fault. I never uploaded the new main menu GUI to SVN, which go along with the change.
Hence the conflicting gui code.
I'll fix that asap.

In the meanwhile, you can either revert the strings change to get the old gui back, or grab the working versions here:
https://github.com/Bertram25/OpenDungeo ... ce/Gui.cpp
https://github.com/Bertram25/OpenDungeo ... urce/Gui.h
https://github.com/Bertram25/OpenDungeo ... opment/gui

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 15 Mar 2014, 15:56

Hello Scorpio, could we talk a little about how you created the New Tiles SET ?
Could you put a tutorial step by step in blender so others could create thier own TSets ?
Bertram : I don't see the Editor's Pallete steel , what is more you must have done something to either Tiles or code calculating postfixes , cause now some are missing ( not WALSS in tiles but entire TILES ) . :\
Naah I got idea of multi -online coding ... that always help when someone looks behind your arm, maybe the same would work for OD ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 16 Mar 2014, 10:17

The tiles just have to have the same profile and height. Also, you have to unwrap them so that the textures are seamless ("project from view bounds" works pretty well). The problem is, you have to create a lot of different tiles in order to close all possible gaps between them. That makes the creation of a set very tedious and inflexible. Therefore it would be good to use a much simpler system.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 16 Mar 2014, 10:34

From the blender file , it seemed you have had one solid block which you later divided into blocks .....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 16 Mar 2014, 10:46

Yes, you can start with a block and subdivide it, but that doesn't matter. It's just important that the vertices of the outer edge are aligned with the vertices of the other side, so that they fit together.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 16 Mar 2014, 20:17

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
CEGUI::UnknownObjectException in function 'CEGUI::NamedElement* CEGUI::NamedElement::getChildElement(const CEGUI::String&) const' (/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/cegui-0.8.3/cegui/src/NamedElement.cpp:151) : The Element object referenced by 'StartNewGameButton' is not attached to Element at 'MainMenu'.
An exception has occurred: CEGUI::UnknownObjectException in function 'CEGUI::NamedElement* CEGUI::NamedElement::getChildElement(const CEGUI::String&) const' (/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/cegui-0.8.3/cegui/src/NamedElement.cpp:151) : The Element object referenced by 'StartNewGameButton' is not attached to Element at 'MainMenu'.

Again , some fault , could you fix that ?
EDIT : Yeap , it works youpee ... hmm , now could you look at the TIle holes in the walls issue ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 16 Mar 2014, 20:46

Quick answer: I've updated the gui files in SVN. And did some commits relatively to SVN changes. Could upgrade both git and svn and try again?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 16 Mar 2014, 21:16

We could use multi online editing if you wish ... like this : http://collabedit.com/

I have few ideas , but I lack motivation to finish it ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 16 Mar 2014, 23:47

EDIT : Yeap , it works youpee ...

Great! We have a saner base to move on now. :)

hmm , now could you look at the TIle holes in the walls issue ?

Well, I'll be honest, I touched the game and editor tile selection and update logic but I didn't touch the way the tile file is computed.
Plus, as for me, the missing tiles problem is here since the first Win32 binary I've done.
Could you tell me more about the problem and why not show me how it was before?

I suspect the refreshNeighborTile() functions I created in the game mode and the editor mode (to avoid code duplication there),
but I only took the code used to refresh the tiles as is.
I'll have a look but I can't promise anything for now.

We could use multi online editing if you wish ... like this : http://collabedit.com/
I have few ideas , but I lack motivation to finish it ....

For what purpose exactly?

While I'm on it:
In CMakeLists.txt, can you tell me whether this patch doesn't break anything for you?
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
@@ -457,7 +464,7 @@ else()
     #only use d3d renderer plugins if we are on windows
     set(OPENDUNGEONS_COMMENT_D3D "#")
     #On linux, we should look in the standard paths for plugins
-    if(${OGRE_PLUGIN_DIR_REL} STREQUAL NOTFOUND)
+    if("${OGRE_PLUGIN_DIR_REL}" STREQUAL "NOTFOUND")
         #Try pkgconfig if the ogre module doesn't set the plugin paths
         find_package(PkgConfig)
         if(PKG_CONFIG_FOUND)

Also, I wanted to know whether we should move XML/ in the media files. Do you agree?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 17 Mar 2014, 00:13

Yes , you can move XML to media dir.
The CMake.txt patch works fine for me .
Multi -- programming is fine , you will like it :D ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 17 Mar 2014, 11:13

Yes , you can move XML to media dir.
The CMake.txt patch works fine for me .

Cool, I'll apply both things when I have the time to. :)

Multi -- programming is fine , you will like it :D ....

I don't doubt that :) But for what particular example do you want me to use it?

Also, do you have the editor toolbox now?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 17 Mar 2014, 12:07

Don't know what you mean editor toolbox ... I use emacs and give the link to the example online multi-editor.
Ah, well, I meant the toolbox in Editor mode on Open Dungeons with the lava/dirt/water/gold, .. buttons. Can you see it now gui files are in sync?
Yes
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 17 Mar 2014, 13:21

Ah, well, I meant the toolbox in Editor mode on Open Dungeons with the lava/dirt/water/gold, .. buttons. Can you see it now gui files are in sync?
Bertram
VT Moderator