Installation experiences

Re: Installation experiences

Postby svenskmand » 11 Mar 2010, 15:20

Just tried to build it, and it worked like a charm :). But I cannot play it as the 0.3.7 media files are not published yet :(
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 13 Mar 2010, 14:56

I just built from git, no build errors and the game starts.. But then everything goes wrong. The camera seems to jump all over the place, and the interface buttons don't work (but the tabs do)

PasteBin output: http://pastebin.com/GXSvX5Hd
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 13 Mar 2010, 16:44

First, make sure you are on the development branch (git branch), next do a (make clean; rm CMakeLists.txt; cmake .; make) to build everything fresh.

If this does not work, try unpacking the "Media" zip file over your directory, then do a (git checkout -f development) the run make once more and run the game. If all that doesn't work, try running from a minimal level file; edit Media/levels/Test.level, for each section set the "Number of things to load" to zero and delete the blocks of text below it.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 14 Mar 2010, 14:01

removing CMakeLists.txt makes cmake say "no CMakeLists.txt", didn't you mean just the make files?

also, git checkout -f development gives me "error: pathspec 'development' did not match any file(s) known to git."
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 14 Mar 2010, 14:17

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:I just built from git, no build errors and the game starts.. But then everything goes wrong. The camera seems to jump all over the place, and the interface buttons don't work (but the tabs do)

PasteBin output: http://pastebin.com/GXSvX5Hd

I think I have the exact same problem. If you find a solution maybe it will fix my problem too :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 14 Mar 2010, 14:52

I edited the test map, loading nothing doesn't show any errors (but I think the map is still spinning), loading 5 tiles shows that the camera is still spinning.

Also, the mouse moves really slowly, and the mouse capture is annoying
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 14 Mar 2010, 17:35

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:... the map is still spinning ...
Also, the mouse moves really slowly, and the mouse capture is annoying

Same thing here.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 14 Mar 2010, 17:46

I guess the git command I gave you was wrong, it should be "git branch --track development origin/development". As for the slow mouse movement, I get that on my laptop but I am unable to determine what causes it. I think the spinning camera results from the camera not being fully initialized during the startup routines. It may have to do with the CEGUI overlay file ("Media/gui/OpenDungeons.layout) that I included in the patch. Try running the new executable with the minimal 5 tile level and the version of OpenDungeons.layout that comes in the media pack. It could also be something video card related. Maybe try switching to the OpenGL renderer vs the DirectX one on the main loading screen (you may have to uncomment some lines in plugins.cfg to do this).

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 15 Mar 2010, 01:29

How exactly should the Windows version be installed? I have tried the following:
1) Download Exe, Media and DLL

2) Unzip them all into a folder by unzipping; DLL, Media and Exe in that order.

3) Run the MapEditor.exe

BUT, it appears that there is no configuration files, because I cannot see any in the directory, and when I launch MapEditor.exe then I get a error saying that file "resources.cfg" could not be found :S

If I then copy all the cfg-files from the GIT-repository I then get the following error:

""
Attachments
Error.png
Error description in Windows Vista 32-bit
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 15 Mar 2010, 01:52

The config files are in the older EXE zip, the ones in the git repository are the linux versions (there might be a plugins.cfg.windows but I don't remember for sure.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 15 Mar 2010, 02:03

If its any consolation, the Linux version builds beautifully :)

Just by looking at that error though, it is trying to load linux libraries - '/usr/lib'

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 15 Mar 2010, 13:26

Oh, I'm on linux to, so by the way :P
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 15 Mar 2010, 14:36

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Oh, I'm on linux to, so by the way :P

Hmm, I did experience some issues that were due to inconsistencies with the level code and the level files in the media pack. I did a clean build yesterday without any issues.

The level files are now being tracked via git, could you try cloning the repo again and pulling the dev branch to see if that resolves your problems. then we would be able to narrow it down to an issue with the code/dependencies.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 15 Mar 2010, 20:18

Ok, switched branch with git checkout development, it downloaded the newest files, I copied over the cmakecache and old cmake dir to a backup location, went cmake . ; make ; and then finally ran MapEditor, exactly the same problem...
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 15 Mar 2010, 22:04

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Ok, switched branch with git checkout development, it downloaded the newest files, I copied over the cmakecache and old cmake dir to a backup location, went cmake . ; make ; and then finally ran MapEditor, exactly the same problem...

What distribution are you running?

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 15 Mar 2010, 23:55

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Ok, switched branch with git checkout development, it downloaded the newest files, I copied over the cmakecache and old cmake dir to a backup location, went cmake . ; make ; and then finally ran MapEditor, exactly the same problem...

Could you try doing this in a completely clean directory. e.g. Remove the current build directory and clone the repository.

After speaking with AndrewBuck, he thinks that the spinning camera is due to part of the MapEditor failing due to inconsistent layout files. Pulling all the files fresh should resolve the issue.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 16 Mar 2010, 00:46

Bodsda {l Wrote}:...
After speaking with AndrewBuck, he thinks that the spinning camera is due to part of the MapEditor failing due to inconsistent layout files. Pulling all the files fresh should resolve the issue.

Bodsda

I have the same issue, and have done exactly that, but the error still persists :(

I did:
1) Extracted this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendun ... p/download
into a new folder called "opendungeons"
2) Extracted this: http://opendungeons.git.sourceforge.net ... 962;sf=tgz
into the "opendungeons" directory, overwriting any existing files
3) Compiled and run the game.

And the spinning camera still persists. I am running Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit by the way.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 16 Mar 2010, 00:53

svenskmand {l Wrote}:

Bodsda

I have the same issue, and have done exactly that, but the error still persists :(

I did:
1) Extracted this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendun ... p/download
into a new folder called "opendungeons"
2) Extracted this: http://opendungeons.git.sourceforge.net ... 962;sf=tgz
into the "opendungeons" directory, overwriting any existing files
3) Compiled and run the game.

And the spinning camera still persists. I am running Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit by the way.

Hi Svenskmand,

Can you try pulling everything from git. You should not have to manually fetch any files to build the game on Ubuntu.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
git clone git://opendungeons.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opendungeons/opendungeons
cd opendungeons
cmake .
make
./MapEditor

This should be enough to run the game. the media pack is then extracted. You then need to run

git checkout development

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 16 Mar 2010, 19:26

Hi Svenskmand,

Can you try pulling everything from git. You should not have to manually fetch any files to build the game on Ubuntu.

git clone git://opendungeons.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opendungeons/opendungeons
cd opendungeons
cmake .
make
./MapEditor

This should be enough to run the game

The git clone and the compiling worked, but I could not start up the game :S
Bodsda {l Wrote}:...the media pack is then extracted.

This I do not understand. Should I download the media pack and install it, or WILL it be downloaded automatically through the git command above?

I tried to extract the Media package from the sourceforge page, but it did not work, the game will not start.
Bodsda {l Wrote}:You then need to run

git checkout development

Bodsda

When I try to run this in the opendungeons directory it just gives me this error
ckr@ckr-laptop:~/Skrivebord/opendungeons$ git checkout development
error: pathspec 'development' did not match any file(s) known to git.
ckr@ckr-laptop:~/Skrivebord/opendungeons$
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 16 Mar 2010, 20:44

You need to do the "git clone" then do "git checkout --track development origin/development"

the checkout of the dev branch will create the latest Map files, however it will not create the models, textures etc. After you have checked out the development branch you then extract the media directory to get the meshes, etc. Doing this though will overwrite the level files so the final step is to do "git checkout -f development". This will rewrite the level files while leaving the meshes alone. Once you have done this you can do "cmake ." then "make" then "./MapEditor" and it should work.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 04 Apr 2010, 18:41

TheAncientGoat and I did a bit of tinkering with the code today and we were able to resolve the spinning camera issue. For some reason when ogre vectors are initialized on your machines they were not being set to (0, 0, 0) like they should be. Manually setting them to 0 in the code has resolved the issue. The latest code on the development branch now contains this fix so do:

git checkout development
git pull
cmake .
make
./MapEditor

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby jonan » 11 Apr 2010, 01:06

First of all, the proper command to obtain all the dependencies is this one:
aptitude install git-core cmake g++ libogre-dev libois-dev libcegui-mk2-dev libceguiogre-dev

I've compiled the game today and I'll give some feedback ;)

The first thing that surprised me was being forced to run cmake in the main directory (I later understood the reason for this) because it makes you loose lots of the advantages this build system offers.
This isn't much of a problem, I have a little bit of experience with cmake and I can make a patch to solve it, I'll post it here when it's done :p

The second problem was the Media folder. First of all, the README doesn't mention that you need to downloaded from SF, and ones you've obtained the archive you find yourself with to Media folders this archives that conflict. This makes the compilation take a lot of time.
I suggest to upload all the needed media to the git repository. There isn't a good reason not to do so and it will simplify all the building process.

Anyhow, I really like the idea behind this project (big fan of DK1 and DK2 here :D ). I'll take a look at the code when I have some free time and, who knows, I might send some patches :lol:
jonan

Postby andrewbuck » 11 Apr 2010, 01:13

The media stuff was removed from the git repository because it made the initial checkout quite large (because git wants the whole history of the project right at checkout time, rather than just the current revision). As for the readme, I haven't updated that in quite some time, if you (or anyone else) would like to bring it up to date I would be happy to commit those changes into git, or give you developer access on SF so you can update it directly.

I look forward to your cmake changes, I know almost nothing about cmake so any improvements to the current system are most welcome.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby jonan » 11 Apr 2010, 15:17

I've attach the cmake patch.
It has to be applied in the development branch with git am --whitespace=fix *.patch because there where some trailing white spaces in some files.
Every time a new source file is added, src/CMakeLists.txt has to be updated.

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:The media stuff was removed from the git repository because it made the initial checkout quite large (because git wants the whole history of the project right at checkout time, rather than just the current revision).
If the media was originally in the repo and was then removed, git downloads it anyway, so the initial clone wont be larger.
Attachments
cmake-patch.zip
(5.13 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
jonan

Postby andrewbuck » 11 Apr 2010, 15:44

I was looking through your patches and I am a bit confused by some of the stuff you removed. For example:

-#Declare any external dependencies that your project may have here.

-SET(Required_Packages

-   OIS

-   OGRE

-   CEGUI

-   CEGUIOGRE

-)

I'm pretty sure we need that for cmake to make sure the user has the appropriate dependancies installed. Also you seem to have removed the "plugins.cfg" file which is necessary for OGRE to function properly. Finally, regarding the addition the the list of source files in CmakeLists.txt, what is the reason for doing it this way. Before, when I added a source file I just did "cmake ." and it would auto detect the new file and build it accordinly, what is the advantage in manually maintaining the list myself.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator