Installation experiences

Installation experiences

Postby Bodsda » 18 Feb 2010, 23:41

Discuss any issues you have had with the installation of OpenDungeons here. Hopefully this will end up being a comprehensive list of prerequisites and known issues. I expect that no one apart from people from the old forum will actually be able to compile OD successfully, so the first thing is a list of dependencies. Once we have this, I will look at setting up a ppa with custom built debian packages specifically for OD. I can then finish the installer script quite easily... Pulling from git, checking dependencies, handling user input, compiling, cleaning etc. is a fair old task in itself.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Re: Installation experiences

Postby andrewbuck » 20 Feb 2010, 03:47

There is some stuff on the wiki at http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/index.php/Download. We should try to keep everything in one place and that is as good of place as any. Any further issues can of course be reported here, but someone should copy them to the wiki for consistency.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 20 Feb 2010, 17:41

Bodsda {l Wrote}:Once we have this, I will look at setting up a ppa with custom built debian packages specifically for OD. I can then finish the installer script quite easily... Pulling from git, checking dependencies, handling user input, compiling, cleaning etc. is a fair old task in itself.

Someone should check to see if the new ubuntu 9.10 has finally fixed all the issues with the broken OGRE and CEGUI dependencies, this would make the PPA not necessary if we just choose "officially" to support 9.10 and up (although we could still do the PPA if you want to help those not on 9.10 yet).

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 20 Feb 2010, 21:16

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:
Bodsda {l Wrote}:Once we have this, I will look at setting up a ppa with custom built debian packages specifically for OD. I can then finish the installer script quite easily... Pulling from git, checking dependencies, handling user input, compiling, cleaning etc. is a fair old task in itself.

Someone should check to see if the new ubuntu 9.10 has finally fixed all the issues with the broken OGRE and CEGUI dependencies, this would make the PPA not necessary if we just choose "officially" to support 9.10 and up (although we could still do the PPA if you want to help those not on 9.10 yet).

-Buck

Upgrading OS now to test :)

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 20 Feb 2010, 21:29

Cool, I'm excited to hear how it works. If we can just do that it would be much easier.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 20 Feb 2010, 21:32

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:Cool, I'm excited to hear how it works. If we can just do that it would be much easier.

-Buck

Definitely. I remember my main issue with the installer was building the dependencies. I'll also have a look at the code tonight and see what I can help with.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 20 Feb 2010, 21:51

There is a link on the main page of the wiki to the "Develper documentation". Have a look at that before you dive into the code, I added some to it today and I might add some more.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 20 Feb 2010, 21:52

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:There is a link on the main page of the wiki to the "Develper documentation". Have a look at that before you dive into the code, I added some to it today and I might add some more.

-Buck

Will do - my Internet connection does not seem stable tonight, annoyingly, but I will try and get as much done as I can.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 21 Feb 2010, 12:06

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:There is some stuff on the wiki at http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/index.php/Download. We should try to keep everything in one place and that is as good of place as any. Any further issues can of course be reported here, but someone should copy them to the wiki for consistency.

-Buck

Ok, finally got 9.10 installed. Nightmare. Anyway, Ubuntu no longer offers libceguiogre14 libogre14 or libois1 - the first two are replaced with 1.6.1 versions, and libois1 is replaced with libois-1.2.0. Looks like were gonna have to get a ppa up if OD wont build with the 1.6.1 versions

You will probably have issues building with this version of libois, but there are instructions on the wiki for editing the cegui code to work correctly with libois-1.2.0

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 21 Feb 2010, 12:25

Bodsda {l Wrote}:
andrewbuck {l Wrote}:There is some stuff on the wiki at http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/index.php/Download. We should try to keep everything in one place and that is as good of place as any. Any further issues can of course be reported here, but someone should copy them to the wiki for consistency.

-Buck

Ok, finally got 9.10 installed. Nightmare. Anyway, Ubuntu no longer offers libceguiogre14 libogre14 or libois1 - the first two are replaced with 1.6.1 versions, and im not sure about libois1 yet. Looks like were gonna have to get a ppa up if OD wont build with the 1.6.1 versions

Bodsda

Hmmm thats wierd, because I have all of libceguiogre14, libogre14 and libois1 in my apt-get, and I also have Karmic Koala (9.10). Its the same on my machine at work, which I have just made a fresh install of 9.10 on. Maybe your upgrade did not go well?
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 21 Feb 2010, 12:57

svenskmand {l Wrote}:
Bodsda {l Wrote}:

-Buck

Ok, finally got 9.10 installed. Nightmare. Anyway, Ubuntu no longer offers libceguiogre14 libogre14 or libois1 - the first two are replaced with 1.6.1 versions, and im not sure about libois1 yet. Looks like were gonna have to get a ppa up if OD wont build with the 1.6.1 versions

Bodsda

Hmmm thats wierd, because I have all of libceguiogre14, libogre14 and libois1 in my apt-get, and I also have Karmic Koala (9.10). Its the same on my machine at work, which I have just made a fresh install of 9.10 on. Maybe your upgrade did not go well?

The packages are listed, but if you try and install the, it says that there is no installation candidate and it is replaced by the 1.6.1 version. My upgrade did not go well at all, in fact it was FUBAR. Luckily, I have a separate /home so an overnight download gave me a clean install this morning.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 21 Feb 2010, 13:03

Ok, trying to build with 1.6.1 versions yield errors like this

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
-- checking for one of the modules 'CEGUI'
CMake Error at cmake/modules/FindCEGUI.cmake:64 (MESSAGE):
  Could not find CEGUI
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:72 (FIND_PACKAGE)

and plenty of warnings.

I guess im gonna need to go get the older packages

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 21 Feb 2010, 16:20

It may not be a total loss, it is possible that the CMake search routines just need to be tweaked to find the new versions of the libraries. It might be that ubuntu is just putting them somewhere different than it did with the older version. I am not an expert on CMake at all, user Andrew helped get the CMake build environment set up and working for me, both for the linux and windows build environments. If you look in the cmake/modules/ directory you will find a bunch of files that do some string maniupulation to get to the CEGUI, OIS, and other libs.

Of course the PPA is still an option as well and if you think that is the easier way to do it then that's fine too.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Andrew » 22 Feb 2010, 03:10

I think that error means that you can't find the cegui cmake script. Not cegui itself.
Hardwar - An open source flight sim shooter on the moon titan.
Andrew

Postby Bodsda » 22 Feb 2010, 14:01

The problem seemed to be caused by incorrect dependencies. I will check when I get home about exactly what packages I installed and then get the dependency list on the wiki updated. I can confirm though, that there is no issues with the latest package versions 1.6.1, nor did I have the issue with CEGUI and OIS that is listed on the wiki. We should now be able to get a good enough list to allow people to copy and paste the command, then build the game without any issues.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 03 Mar 2010, 15:22

Bodsda {l Wrote}:The problem seemed to be caused by incorrect dependencies. I will check when I get home about exactly what packages I installed and then get the dependency list on the wiki updated. I can confirm though, that there is no issues with the latest package versions 1.6.1, nor did I have the issue with CEGUI and OIS that is listed on the wiki. We should now be able to get a good enough list to allow people to copy and paste the command, then build the game without any issues.

Bodsda

Could you update the Download page on the wiki so people can build the game? I wanted to build the game before but I am not sure which libaries I should install as the suggestion on the Download page is now outdated.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 03 Mar 2010, 22:42

svenskmand {l Wrote}:
Bodsda {l Wrote}:The problem seemed to be caused by incorrect dependencies. I will check when I get home about exactly what packages I installed and then get the dependency list on the wiki updated. I can confirm though, that there is no issues with the latest package versions 1.6.1, nor did I have the issue with CEGUI and OIS that is listed on the wiki. We should now be able to get a good enough list to allow people to copy and paste the command, then build the game without any issues.

Bodsda

Could you update the Download page on the wiki so people can build the game? I wanted to build the game before but I am not sure which libaries I should install as the suggestion on the Download page is now outdated.

Sure, I'll get that added when I'm home tomorrow. The current instructions should work if you use the latest 1.6.1 package versions.

It would also be good to see what sort of errors are produced when missing certain dependencies. This would help us help new users when they have dependency issues.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 10 Mar 2010, 00:02

Bodsda {l Wrote}:
svenskmand {l Wrote}:

Bodsda

Sure, I'll get that added when I'm home tomorrow. The current instructions should work if you use the latest 1.6.1 package versions.

It would also be good to see what sort of errors are produced when missing certain dependencies. This would help us help new users when they have dependency issues.

Bodsda

Did you get the dependencies to work?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 10 Mar 2010, 00:15

It is working now, if you are on ubuntu 9.10 the packages in apt work fine. There is a list on the downloads page of the wiki (but there may be 1 or 2 missing from there; I think you need the cegui-mk2 package).

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 10 Mar 2010, 00:45

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:It is working now, if you are on ubuntu 9.10 the packages in apt work fine. There is a list on the downloads page of the wiki (but there may be 1 or 2 missing from there; I think you need the cegui-mk2 package).

-Buck

Im pulling the code in my VM now to test dependencies.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 10 Mar 2010, 01:27

Bodsda {l Wrote}:
andrewbuck {l Wrote}:It is working now, if you are on ubuntu 9.10 the packages in apt work fine. There is a list on the downloads page of the wiki (but there may be 1 or 2 missing from there; I think you need the cegui-mk2 package).

-Buck

Im pulling the code in my VM now to test dependencies.

Bodsda

Ok, after much frustration and fighting with Virtualbox, shared folders, permissions and apt, I have finally got a list if dependencies to go from a clean Ubuntu 9.10 to working OD :) (Wiki Updated)

sudo apt-get install git-core  build-essential libceguiogrerenderer-1.6.1 libogremain-1.6.1 libogre-dev libois-dev libois-1.2.0 cmake libcegui-mk2-dev libceguiogre-dev

Although I am convinced that we can strip this down a bit more. I will work on that during the week.

Bodsda

EDIT: Hmm, looks like the wiki disagrees with long lines.

EDIT2: Oh, OD will fail with OpenGL errors when running in a Virtual Machine, but I don't think this is due to dependency issues. I am more convinced that it is some configuration issue.
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 10 Mar 2010, 16:11

Bodsda {l Wrote}:...
sudo apt-get install git-core  build-essential libceguiogrerenderer-1.6.1 libogremain-1.6.1 libogre-dev libois-dev libois-1.2.0 cmake libcegui-mk2-dev libceguiogre-dev

Uhhh nice, I will try this later tonight :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 10 Mar 2010, 16:18

By the way the download page says this:
Bodsda {l Wrote}:In order to build OpenDungeons you will need development libraries for OGRE 1.4.5 (note: verion 1.6 will not work), OIS, and CEGUI. On systems which use the apt package management system you can install the necessary libraries using:

Which is a bit misleading, as you install ogre 1.6.1, and still write in the top that you should use 1.4.5 :S Should we not change this?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 10 Mar 2010, 17:00

The bit about "don't use 1.6" is just outdated and can be removed entirely. There was a function which you HAD to call in 1.4 called setNormaliseNormals() which was removed entirely in 1.6. The code now has some #ifdef's in place to deal with this so either version will work.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 10 Mar 2010, 23:11

svenskmand {l Wrote}:By the way the download page says this:
Bodsda {l Wrote}:In order to build OpenDungeons you will need development libraries for OGRE 1.4.5 (note: verion 1.6 will not work), OIS, and CEGUI. On systems which use the apt package management system you can install the necessary libraries using:

Which is a bit misleading, as you install ogre 1.6.1, and still write in the top that you should use 1.4.5 :S Should we not change this?

Well spotted - I have removed that warning now.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator