Installation experiences

Re: Installation experiences

Postby jonan » 11 Apr 2010, 16:02

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:I was looking through your patches and I am a bit confused by some of the stuff you removed. For example:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
-#Declare any external dependencies that your project may have here.

-SET(Required_Packages

-   OIS

-   OGRE

-   CEGUI

-   CEGUIOGRE

-)

I'm pretty sure we need that for cmake to make sure the user has the appropriate dependancies installed.
That wasn't really removed, it's still there, but I put it in a different way.

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:Also you seem to have removed the "plugins.cfg" file which is necessary for OGRE to function properly.
Ogre needs a plugins.cfg, but you have a plugins.cfg.windows and a plugins.cfg.linux, so I've removed plugins.cfg and cmake will create it from plugins.cfg.windows when running on WIN32 and from plugins.cfg.linux in any other case.

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:Finally, regarding the addition the the list of source files in CmakeLists.txt, what is the reason for doing it this way. Before, when I added a source file I just did "cmake ." and it would auto detect the new file and build it accordinly, what is the advantage in manually maintaining the list myself.
The problem of the previous approach (look for all *.cpp files) is that files are only set when cmake is executed. That means that when a new file is added, you need to run cmake again. With the new approach the build system controls everything. Every time you execute make (or build the project in Visual Studio or whatever) the new files are added an compiled.
jonan

Postby andrewbuck » 11 Apr 2010, 16:34

Ok, that resolves all of my concerns. I will probably add the patches into git later today. Thank you for you contribution.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 12 Apr 2010, 23:33

I got those patches pushed to sourceforge so now anyone who checks out the latest dev branch should get them.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby jonan » 13 Apr 2010, 23:38

I can't execute the game because Treasury.mesh is not found. I still think the media should be added to the project, a slightly slower initial clone isn't such a big problem and having to use other methods to synchronize the media between developers is kind of a drawback and might put people down.
jonan

Postby andrewbuck » 13 Apr 2010, 23:51

I am considering putting the media back into git, I still am not fully convinced it is the right way to got (although I am leaning that way). In the meantime when you get a missing mesh file you can just copy any of the existing ones you have into its place. I would suggest copying either quarters.mesh or light.mesh for use as a placeholder for the treasury. You can do the same for any others you have trouble with.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 15 Apr 2010, 09:06

Remember that you can have a seperate repo for the art files...
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 15 Apr 2010, 14:30

I was thinking about that. Sourceforge lets us have a cvs, svn, or git repo and we can have more than one running at a time. I thought it might be a good idea to use the SVN repo for the content since when you do an SVN checkout it only downloads the latest commit, rather than the whole history like git does. This makes it a perfect match for content files since 99% of the time you only want the latest content anyway but sometimes you want to see an old version of some file. What does everyone think about this.

Note: that if we do this I still will probably keep the level files in git since they are only text anyway and I want them to be exactly in sync with the codebase. Missing meshes are easy to fix via the copying mechanism outlined above but level files that are in the wrong format requires manually hacking at them with a text editor to bring them into sync with what the game engine expects. Also only about 1 in 4 changes to the level file makes it actually require new meshes (like the addition of the beds to the quarters). Most of the changes just have to do with creature stats (adding fields for hitpoints, etc) and do not necessitate any change to the meshes/textures.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 15 Apr 2010, 15:15

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:I was thinking about that. Sourceforge lets us have a cvs, svn, or git repo and we can have more than one running at a time. I thought it might be a good idea to use the SVN repo for the content since when you do an SVN checkout it only downloads the latest commit, rather than the whole history like git does. This makes it a perfect match for content files since 99% of the time you only want the latest content anyway but sometimes you want to see an old version of some file. What does everyone think about this.

Note: that if we do this I still will probably keep the level files in git since they are only text anyway and I want them to be exactly in sync with the codebase. Missing meshes are easy to fix via the copying mechanism outlined above but level files that are in the wrong format requires manually hacking at them with a text editor to bring them into sync with what the game engine expects. Also only about 1 in 4 changes to the level file makes it actually require new meshes (like the addition of the beds to the quarters). Most of the changes just have to do with creature stats (adding fields for hitpoints, etc) and do not necessitate any change to the meshes/textures.

-Buck

I say lets go :), and please send me a e-mail with login-credentials when it is up, so I can put my content online easily when I create new stuff. The pass-a-zip approach is starting to get annoying, even though I have not done it many times :S
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby jonan » 15 Apr 2010, 15:25

It's not as simple as adding it to the Git repo, but it's fairly manageable and a great improve compared to the actual zip file.
jonan

Postby TheAncientGoat » 15 Apr 2010, 18:58

Btw, this most probably isn't the right thread to post in, but buck, why dont you make a default placeholder model for missing models? Sothat one doesn't have to manually copy over each missing model in order to test the game..
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 15 Apr 2010, 19:06

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Btw, this most probably isn't the right thread to post in, but buck, why dont you make a default placeholder model for missing models? Sothat one doesn't have to manually copy over each missing model in order to test the game..

That is a really good idea :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 15 Apr 2010, 21:15

I'm not sure if ogre supports a fallback mechanism to a placeholder model. The issue is that in many cases the mesh names are hardcoded into the engine and when I add the code to do something, like add gold bags and gold chests for example, I also code in the names right then since i either have the relevant meshes in my directory or I just make copies as placeholders. I don't think this will be an issue when we have svn set up since I can just push the placeholder meshes in there right away and then the artists can just replace them as we go.

As a separate but somewhat related issue how should we handle the storage of source content for artwork (.blend files, etc.). I am thinking we make a separate SVN branch and have the normal (trunk i think it is called) branch hold the finished content (i.e. what the game uses) and the have a "development branch for those that are interested in the source material. This avoids users having to download the .blend files when they don't intend to do anything with them.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 15 Apr 2010, 21:36

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:...
As a separate but somewhat related issue how should we handle the storage of source content for artwork (.blend files, etc.). I am thinking we make a separate SVN branch and have the normal (trunk i think it is called) branch hold the finished content (i.e. what the game uses) and the have a "development branch for those that are interested in the source material. This avoids users having to download the .blend files when they don't intend to do anything with them.

-Buck

Well I am not all that much into the VCS terms, but regarding the division between source material and ingame material I think we should have a source folder and an media folder for the game content to use in the game, then the directory structure should be something like this
trunk/source
trunk/media
branch/source
branch/media

and in source we should make some categorisation to avoid clutter, but I do not quite know exactly what structure to aim at. One could for example take a look at my contribution zip, it contains allot of different things, so it could be an example of how diverse the source folders content could be.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby jonan » 15 Apr 2010, 22:14

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:As a separate but somewhat related issue how should we handle the storage of source content for artwork (.blend files, etc.). I am thinking we make a separate SVN branch and have the normal (trunk i think it is called) branch hold the finished content (i.e. what the game uses) and the have a "development branch for those that are interested in the source material. This avoids users having to download the .blend files when they don't intend to do anything with them.

I find this approach really useful (as long as artists don't mind commiting to two different branches all the time), but I would put a text file in trunk mentioning that the "source" is in the development branch, because the GPL requires it.
jonan

Postby gman-D » 19 Apr 2010, 00:44

Hey guys, spent the last hour or so trying different things to get the game up and running and cannot seem to get over the last hurdle. Here is what I did:

git clone git://opendungeons.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opendungeons/opendungeons
cd opendungeons
copy Media directory in from the zip
git checkout --track origin/development
git -f development
cmake .
make
./MapEditor

and now I get this:

Can't assign material Red rock to SubEntity of Level_ 61_-119 because this Material does not exist. Have you forgotten to define it in a .material script?
Mesh: Loading Kobold.mesh.
Skeleton: Loading Kobold.skeleton
Texture: kobold_skin6.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
Mesh: Loading Longsword.mesh.
Texture: Longsword.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,1024x1024x1) with 5 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,1024x1024x1.
Mesh: Loading Knight.mesh.
Skeleton: Loading Knight.skeleton
Texture: Knight.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,1024x1024x1) with 5 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,1024x1024x1.
Mesh: Loading Sabre.mesh.
Mesh: Loading Roundshield.mesh.
Mesh: Loading Dragon.mesh.
Skeleton: Loading Dragon.skeleton
Can't assign material Dragon skin/TEXFACE/Dragon.png to SubEntity of Creature_Dragon_001 because this Material does not exist. Have you forgotten to define it in a .material script?
WARNING: the mesh 'Dragon.mesh' includes vertices with more than 4 bone assignments. The lowest weighted assignments beyond this limit have been removed, so your animation may look slightly different. To eliminate this, reduce the number of bone assignments per vertex on your mesh to 4.
Can't assign material Dragon skin/TEXFACE/Dragon.png to SubEntity of Creature_Dragon_002 because this Material does not exist. Have you forgotten to define it in a .material script?
Can't assign material Dragon skin/TEXFACE/Dragon.png to SubEntity of Creature_Dragon_003 because this Material does not exist. Have you forgotten to define it in a .material script?
Can't assign material Dragon skin/TEXFACE/Dragon.png to SubEntity of Creature_Dragon_004 because this Material does not exist. Have you forgotten to define it in a .material script?
Mesh: Loading Wyvern.mesh.
Skeleton: Loading Wyvern.skeleton
Texture: Wyvern.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8R8G8B8,2048x1024x1) with 5 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8R8G8B8,2048x1024x1.
Mesh: Loading Dwarf1.mesh.
Skeleton: Loading Dwarf1.skeleton
Texture: Dwarf1.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,1024x1024x1) with 5 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,1024x1024x1.
Mesh: Loading Dwarf2.mesh.
Skeleton: Loading Dwarf2.skeleton
Texture: Dwarf2.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,1024x1024x1) with 5 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,1024x1024x1.
Mesh: Loading Orc.mesh.
Skeleton: Loading Orc.skeleton
Texture: Orc.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,753x726x1) with 5 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,753x726x1.
WARNING: the mesh 'Orc.mesh' includes vertices with more than 4 bone assignments. The lowest weighted assignments beyond this limit have been removed, so your animation may look slightly different. To eliminate this, reduce the number of bone assignments per vertex on your mesh to 4.
Mesh: Loading Kreatur.mesh.
Skeleton: Loading Kreatur.skeleton
Texture: Kreatur.tga: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,1024x1024x1) with 5 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,1024x1024x1.
Mesh: Loading Light.mesh.
Mesh: Loading Quarters.mesh.
Texture: Quarters.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,1024x1024x1) with 5 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,1024x1024x1.
Mesh: Loading Treasury.mesh.
An exception has occurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Treasury.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 753)

Any ideas??
gman-D

Postby andrewbuck » 19 Apr 2010, 14:40

Whenever ogre crashes the last error message is usually the one to worry about (ogre complains a lot but few of it errors are really game ending ones). In this case

gman-D {l Wrote}:Mesh: Loading Treasury.mesh.
An exception has occurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Treasury.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 753)

You just need to cd into the Media/models directory and copy a temporary placeholder mesh for the treasury (you will also need one for the bed). I would suggest:

cp Light.mesh Treasury.mesh
cp Light.mesh Bed.mesh

The light indicator mesh is just a small blue cube. The issue we are discussing above regarding tracking the media in some revision control system should solve this but we haven't implemented it yet.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 05 Dec 2010, 19:16

Ok, so I have just tried doing a clean install, and I am having some problems.

I get this error
An exception has occurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(7:InternalErrorException): Media/packs/OgreCore.zip - error whilst opening archive: Unable to read zip file. in ZipArchive::checkZzipError at /build/buildd/ogre-1.7.1/OgreMain/src/OgreZip.cpp (line 280)

A bit of research shows that this is an Ogre specific zip file. Searching through my downloaded files from svn and git, this file is not included. So I went and found it in some old build environments I had for OD. Went to copy it to $builddir/Media/packs but found that this location did not exist. So I created the packs directory and placed the zip file in it. Now I am getting this error

An exception has occurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): 'resources.cfg' file not found! in ConfigFile::load at /build/buildd/ogre-1.7.1/OgreMain/src/OgreConfigFile.cpp (line 83)

For this error, I know that the resources.cfg file is in the $builddir, but apart from that, I am lost. Can someone give me some more pointers to get running?

Thanks,
Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 05 Dec 2010, 21:19

Ok run this to install required software, and compile and install OgreOggSound:
#!/bin/sh
# Installing PPA by Andrew Fenn
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 6F7E2F0B
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andrewfenn/ogredev
sudo apt-get update
# Build stuff deps
# subversion git cmake build-essential
# Ogre and CEGUI deps
# libogremain-1.7.1-dbg libois-dev libogre-dev libcegui libcegui-dbg libcegui-dev libfreeimage3-dbg
# OgreOggSound deps
# libboost-thread-dev libopenal-dev libvorbisfile3 libvorbis-dev libogg-dev
sudo apt-get install subversion git cmake build-essential libogremain-1.7.1-dbg libois-dev libogre-dev libcegui libcegui-dbg libcegui-dev libfreeimage3-dbg libboost-thread-dev libopenal-dev libvorbisfile3 libvorbis-dev libogg-dev
cd ~/Desktop
svn co https://ogreoggsound.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ogreoggsound/trunk@367 OgreOggSound
cd OgreOggSound
cmake -DUSE_POCO=FALSE -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="/usr" .
make
sudo make install
sudo cp libOgreOggSound.so /usr/lib/OGRE/OgreOggSound.so
sudo cp libOgreOggSound.so /usr/lib

Now I have made the following script to generate a tarball of the latest release, run it:
#!/bin/sh
# Making a source tar file for OpenDungeons
cd ~/Desktop
echo "################################################" > ODTarballMaker.txt
echo "#       Tarball packer for OpenDungeons        #" >> ODTarballMaker.txt
echo "################################################" >> ODTarballMaker.txt
echo mkdir OpenDungeons >> ODTarballMaker.txt
mkdir OpenDungeons
echo cd OpenDungeons >> ODTarballMaker.txt
cd OpenDungeons
echo svn co https://opendungeons.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/opendungeons/Media Media >> ../ODTarballMaker.txt
svn co https://opendungeons.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/opendungeons/Media Media
echo cd ~/Desktop  >> ../ODTarballMaker.txt
cd ~/Desktop
echo git clone git://opendungeons.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opendungeons/opendungeons OpenDungeonsCode >> ODTarballMaker.txt
git clone git://opendungeons.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opendungeons/opendungeons OpenDungeonsCode
echo cd OpenDungeonsCode >> ODTarballMaker.txt
cd OpenDungeonsCode
echo git checkout -b development remotes/origin/development >> ../ODTarballMaker.txt
git checkout -b development remotes/origin/development
echo cd ~/Desktop >> ../ODTarballMaker.txt
cd ~/Desktop
echo cp -R OpenDungeonsCode/* OpenDungeons >> ODTarballMaker.txt
cp -R OpenDungeonsCode/* OpenDungeons
echo rm -rf OpenDungeonsCode >> ODTarballMaker.txt
rm -rf OpenDungeonsCode
VERSION=`grep VERSION OpenDungeons/include/Defines.h | sed 's:#define.*VERSION. *"::' | sed 's:".*::'`
echo "Version is " $VERSION >> ODTarballMaker.txt
echo find OpenDungeons -name ".svn" -exec rm -rf {} \; >> ODTarballMaker.txt
find OpenDungeons -name ".svn" -exec rm -rf {} \;
echo find OpenDungeons -name ".git" -exec rm -rf {} \; >> ODTarballMaker.txt
find OpenDungeons -name ".git" -exec rm -rf {} \;
echo mv OpenDungeons opendungeons-$VERSION >> ODTarballMaker.txt
mv OpenDungeons opendungeons-$VERSION
echo tar czf opendungeons-$VERSION.tar.gz opendungeons-$VERSION >> ODTarballMaker.txt
tar czf opendungeons-$VERSION.tar.gz opendungeons-$VERSION
echo rm -rf OpenDungeons >> ODTarballMaker.txt
rm -rf opendungeons-$VERSION

Now you can finally compile an install the game from this script:
#!/bin/sh
# Building and installing OpenDungeons
echo "################################################" > ODBuildLog.txt
echo "#        Building log for OpenDungeons         #" >> ODBuildLog.txt
echo "################################################" >> ODBuildLog.txt
echo tar -xzvf opendungeons*.tar.gz >> ODBuildLog.txt
tar -xzvf opendungeons*.tar.gz
echo cd OpenDungeons >> ODBuildLog.txt
cd OpenDungeons
echo cmake . >> ../ODBuildLog.txt
cmake .
echo make -j`grep -m 1 "cpu cores" /proc/cpuinfo | sed 's:cpu cores.*\:.::'` >> ../ODBuildLog.txt
make -j`grep -m 1 "cpu cores" /proc/cpuinfo | sed 's:cpu cores.*\:.::'`

If there are any errors during the run of the last two scripts then you can look in the files ODTarballMaker.txt or ODBuildLog.txt, at which command it went wrong and report back here.

The only errors you should get when you run the game like this is missing mesh files, which you can fix by copying one of the existing mesh files and name it the name of the missing file in the error message you get, or you can bug Andrew and/or Skorpio about putting the latest mesh files utilized by the game into the SVN.

The reason it is split like this is because I am using these scripts to make tarballs for use in making the deb-packages. The deb-package is not ready yet, but I am working on it :) it have turned out to be a pain to make deb-packages, at least when you know nothing about it, like I do :S
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 05 Dec 2010, 21:51

Bodsda {l Wrote}:Ok, so I have just tried doing a clean install, and I am having some problems.

I get this error
An exception has occurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(7:InternalErrorException): Media/packs/OgreCore.zip - error whilst opening archive: Unable to read zip file. in ZipArchive::checkZzipError at /build/buildd/ogre-1.7.1/OgreMain/src/OgreZip.cpp (line 280)

A bit of research shows that this is an Ogre specific zip file. Searching through my downloaded files from svn and git, this file is not included. So I went and found it in some old build environments I had for OD. Went to copy it to $builddir/Media/packs but found that this location did not exist. So I created the packs directory and placed the zip file in it. Now I am getting this error

An exception has occurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): 'resources.cfg' file not found! in ConfigFile::load at /build/buildd/ogre-1.7.1/OgreMain/src/OgreConfigFile.cpp (line 83)

For this error, I know that the resources.cfg file is in the $builddir, but apart from that, I am lost. Can someone give me some more pointers to get running?

Thanks,
Bodsda

OgreCore.zip is in the SVN repository, double checked to be sure.
Regarding resources.cfg:
On linux the game is set to look for data files in the path specified in the OPENDUNGEONS_DATA_PATH environment variable, if that is empty, the path where the application is run should be used. So resources.cfg should be found if it is in the same dir, otherwise you can try setting OPENDUNGEONS_DATA_PATH to where the resources are.
Also, check that you have the right branches checked out if you are using build environments from some point earlier.

Also, feel free to talk to me or svenskmand on gtalk if you are having issues.
oln

Postby qubodup » 06 Dec 2010, 01:36

I had some trouble getting all what is needed together on Arch Linux 64 bit but I think I made it.
Unfortunately I can't compile with success:
Linking CXX executable ../MapEditor
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for Poco::SystemException'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `Poco::Runnable::Runnable()'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for Poco::Runnable'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `Poco::SystemException::~SystemException()'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `Poco::ThreadImpl::sleepImpl(long)'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `Poco::SystemException::SystemException(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, int)'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `Poco::Runnable::~Runnable()'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `Poco::Thread::Thread()'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `Poco::Thread::join()'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `Poco::Thread::start(Poco::Runnable&)'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `Poco::Mutex::Mutex()'
/usr/local/lib/libOgreOggSound.so: undefined reference to `Poco::Mutex::~Mutex()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [MapEditor] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/MapEditor.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

The following shows the versions of some libraries which I think might be relevant
$ clyde -Q cegui-0.7 ogreoggsound-svn ogre poco boost boost-libs ois freeimage openal
local/cegui-0.7 0.7.5-1
local/ogreoggsound-svn 367-1
community/ogre 1.7.2-2
local/poco 1.3.6p2-2
extra/boost 1.45.0-1
extra/boost-libs 1.45.0-1
community/ois 1.2.0-2
community/freeimage 3.14.1-2
extra/openal 1.12.854-2
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 06 Dec 2010, 01:51

qubodup: I think you should take a look at this line
cmake -DUSE_POCO=FALSE -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="/usr" .

of my last post, it might be useful, the Poco part, as your error output mentions poco threads, which this disables.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 06 Dec 2010, 09:53

Yeah, the OD build is set to use link against boost threads, as this is what OgreOggSound uses as default on windows (don't know why he set poco as default on linux), so if you give the parameter mentioned in the previous post to the OgreOggSound build it should use boost threads instead, which should get rid of those errors.

Also, you'll need a copy of libOgreOggSound.so in the ogre plugins dir (usually /usr/lib/OGRE), as it is used as an Ogre plugin. The copy had to be renamed OgreOggSound.so for ogre to load it properly.
oln

Postby oln » 23 Jan 2011, 11:02

Svenskmand, can you share your progress on the debian packaging?
I am considering to ditch OgreOggSound and use the audio part of SFML for sound instead, would save us some trouble when it comes to packaging, and shouldn't require much code changes.
Also it supports more audio formats.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 23 Jan 2011, 13:05

Not far, I am struggeling with pbuilder and dh_make. I have followed this guide, more precisely I use the pbuilder section and the section on dh_make. When I try to build the package using pbuilder I get errors, that it cannot find some libaries, but I do not know how to install them. Opendungeons depends on AndrewFenns PPA, which I do not know how to add, and on the OgreOggSound package which I also want to build. But I also do not know how to depend on other packages that I build. Any help here would be nice since I have never build a package before :S

While building the OgreOggSound package with pbuilder I got the following error:
ckr@ckr-laptop:~/Desktop/ogreoggsound-1.18$ debuild -S
 dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -d -us -uc -S
dpkg-buildpackage: export CFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export CPPFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor):
dpkg-buildpackage: export CXXFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export FFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export LDFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
dpkg-buildpackage: source package ogreoggsound
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 1.18-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Casper Kejlberg-Rasmussen <svenskmand@gmail.com>
 dpkg-source --before-build ogreoggsound-1.18
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh clean
   dh_testdir
   dh_auto_clean
   dh_clean
 dpkg-source -b ogreoggsound-1.18
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building ogreoggsound using existing ./ogreoggsound_1.18.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: building ogreoggsound in ogreoggsound_1.18-1.debian.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: building ogreoggsound in ogreoggsound_1.18-1.dsc
 dpkg-genchanges -S >../ogreoggsound_1.18-1_source.changes
dpkg-genchanges: including full source code in upload
 dpkg-source --after-build ogreoggsound-1.18
dpkg-buildpackage: full upload (original source is included)
Now running lintian...
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/emacsen-install.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/manpage.sgml.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/menu.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/postinst.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/ogreoggsound.doc-base.EX
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/ogreoggsound.default.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/emacsen-startup.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/ogreoggsound.cron.d.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/emacsen-remove.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/init.d.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/manpage.xml.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/postrm.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/manpage.1.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/prerm.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/watch.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/preinst.ex
W: ogreoggsound source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.8.4 (current is 3.9.1)
Finished running lintian.
Now signing changes and any dsc files...
 signfile ogreoggsound_1.18-1.dsc Casper Kejlberg-Rasmussen <svenskmand@gmail.com>

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Casper Kejlberg-Rasmussen <svenskmand@gmail.com>"
2048-bit RSA key, ID 839FF5A2, created 2010-11-24

signfile ogreoggsound_1.18-1_source.changes Casper Kejlberg-Rasmussen <svenskmand@gmail.com>

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Casper Kejlberg-Rasmussen <svenskmand@gmail.com>"
2048-bit RSA key, ID 839FF5A2, created 2010-11-24

Successfully signed dsc and changes files
ckr@ckr-laptop:~/Desktop/ogreoggsound-1.18$ sudo pbuilder build ../*.dsc
[sudo] password for ckr:
W: /home/ckr/.pbuilderrc does not exist
I: using fakeroot in build.
I: Current time: Sun Jan 23 13:47:22 CET 2011
I: pbuilder-time-stamp: 1295786842
I: Building the build Environment
I: extracting base tarball [/var/cache/pbuilder/base.tgz]
I: creating local configuration
I: copying local configuration
I: mounting /proc filesystem
I: mounting /dev/pts filesystem
I: Mounting /var/cache/pbuilder/ccache
I: policy-rc.d already exists
I: Obtaining the cached apt archive contents
I: Setting up ccache
I: Installing the build-deps
 -> Attempting to satisfy build-dependencies
 -> Creating pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy package
Package: pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy
Version: 0.invalid.0
Architecture: amd64
Maintainer: Debian Pbuilder Team <pbuilder-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Description: Dummy package to satisfy dependencies with aptitude - created by pbuilder
 This package was created automatically by pbuilder to satisfy the
 build-dependencies of the package being currently built.
Depends: debhelper (>= 7.0.50~), cmake
dpkg-deb: building package `pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy' in `/tmp/satisfydepends-aptitude/pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy.deb'.
Selecting previously deselected package pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy.
(Reading database ... 13248 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy (from .../pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy:
 pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on debhelper (>= 7.0.50~); however:
  Package debhelper is not installed.
 pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on cmake; however:
  Package cmake is not installed.
dpkg: error processing pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  bsdmainutils{a} ca-certificates{a} cmake{a} cmake-data{a} debhelper{a}
  emacsen-common{a} file{a} gettext{a} gettext-base{a} groff-base{a}
  html2text{a} intltool-debian{a} libarchive1{a} libcroco3{a} libcurl3{a}
  libcurl3-gnutls{a} libexpat1{a} libgcrypt11{a} libgnutls26{a}
  libgpg-error0{a} libgssapi-krb5-2{a} libidn11{a} libk5crypto3{a}
  libkeyutils1{a} libkrb5-3{a} libkrb5support0{a} libldap-2.4-2{a}
  libmagic1{a} libsasl2-2{a} libtasn1-3{a} libunistring0{a} libxml2{a}
  libxmlrpc-core-c3{a} man-db{a} openssl{a} po-debconf{a}
The following partially installed packages will be configured:
  pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  curl libmail-sendmail-perl libsasl2-modules lynx wget xml-core
0 packages upgraded, 36 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/16.1MB of archives. After unpacking 44.5MB will be used.
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
Selecting previously deselected package libmagic1.
(Reading database ... 13248 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libmagic1 (from .../libmagic1_5.03-5ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package file.
Unpacking file (from .../file_5.03-5ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package html2text.
Unpacking html2text (from .../html2text_1.3.2a-15_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxml2.
Unpacking libxml2 (from .../libxml2_2.7.7.dfsg-4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libcroco3.
Unpacking libcroco3 (from .../libcroco3_0.6.2-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libunistring0.
Unpacking libunistring0 (from .../libunistring0_0.9.3-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package gettext-base.
Unpacking gettext-base (from .../gettext-base_0.18.1.1-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package gettext.
Unpacking gettext (from .../gettext_0.18.1.1-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package intltool-debian.
Unpacking intltool-debian (from .../intltool-debian_0.35.0+20060710.1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package po-debconf.
Unpacking po-debconf (from .../po-debconf_1.0.16_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package groff-base.
Unpacking groff-base (from .../groff-base_1.20.1-10_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package bsdmainutils.
Unpacking bsdmainutils (from .../bsdmainutils_8.0.11ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package man-db.
Unpacking man-db (from .../man-db_2.5.7-4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package debhelper.
Unpacking debhelper (from .../debhelper_8.0.0ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libarchive1.
Unpacking libarchive1 (from .../libarchive1_2.8.4-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libgpg-error0.
Unpacking libgpg-error0 (from .../libgpg-error0_1.6-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libgcrypt11.
Unpacking libgcrypt11 (from .../libgcrypt11_1.4.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libtasn1-3.
Unpacking libtasn1-3 (from .../libtasn1-3_2.7-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libgnutls26.
Unpacking libgnutls26 (from .../libgnutls26_2.8.6-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libkeyutils1.
Unpacking libkeyutils1 (from .../libkeyutils1_1.4-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libkrb5support0.
Unpacking libkrb5support0 (from .../libkrb5support0_1.8.1+dfsg-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libk5crypto3.
Unpacking libk5crypto3 (from .../libk5crypto3_1.8.1+dfsg-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libkrb5-3.
Unpacking libkrb5-3 (from .../libkrb5-3_1.8.1+dfsg-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libgssapi-krb5-2.
Unpacking libgssapi-krb5-2 (from .../libgssapi-krb5-2_1.8.1+dfsg-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libidn11.
Unpacking libidn11 (from .../libidn11_1.18-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libsasl2-2.
Unpacking libsasl2-2 (from .../libsasl2-2_2.1.23.dfsg1-5ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libldap-2.4-2.
Unpacking libldap-2.4-2 (from .../libldap-2.4-2_2.4.23-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package openssl.
Unpacking openssl (from .../openssl_0.9.8o-1ubuntu4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package ca-certificates.
Unpacking ca-certificates (from .../ca-certificates_20090814_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libcurl3-gnutls.
Unpacking libcurl3-gnutls (from .../libcurl3-gnutls_7.21.0-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libexpat1.
Unpacking libexpat1 (from .../libexpat1_2.0.1-7ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libcurl3.
Unpacking libcurl3 (from .../libcurl3_7.21.0-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxmlrpc-core-c3.
Unpacking libxmlrpc-core-c3 (from .../libxmlrpc-core-c3_1.06.27-1ubuntu7_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package emacsen-common.
Unpacking emacsen-common (from .../emacsen-common_1.4.19ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package cmake-data.
Unpacking cmake-data (from .../cmake-data_2.8.2-2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package cmake.
Unpacking cmake (from .../cmake_2.8.2-2_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up libmagic1 (5.03-5ubuntu1) ...
Setting up file (5.03-5ubuntu1) ...
Setting up html2text (1.3.2a-15) ...
Setting up libxml2 (2.7.7.dfsg-4) ...
Setting up libcroco3 (0.6.2-1) ...
Setting up libunistring0 (0.9.3-1) ...
Setting up gettext-base (0.18.1.1-1ubuntu2) ...
Setting up gettext (0.18.1.1-1ubuntu2) ...
Setting up intltool-debian (0.35.0+20060710.1) ...
Setting up po-debconf (1.0.16) ...
Setting up groff-base (1.20.1-10) ...
Setting up bsdmainutils (8.0.11ubuntu1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/bsd-write to provide /usr/bin/write (write) in auto mode.
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/bsd-from to provide /usr/bin/from (from) in auto mode.
Setting up man-db (2.5.7-4) ...
Building database of manual pages ...
Setting up debhelper (8.0.0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libarchive1 (2.8.4-1) ...
Setting up libgpg-error0 (1.6-1ubuntu2) ...
Setting up libgcrypt11 (1.4.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libtasn1-3 (2.7-1) ...
Setting up libgnutls26 (2.8.6-1) ...
Setting up libkeyutils1 (1.4-1) ...
Setting up libkrb5support0 (1.8.1+dfsg-5) ...
Setting up libk5crypto3 (1.8.1+dfsg-5) ...
Setting up libkrb5-3 (1.8.1+dfsg-5) ...
Setting up libgssapi-krb5-2 (1.8.1+dfsg-5) ...
Setting up libidn11 (1.18-1) ...
Setting up libsasl2-2 (2.1.23.dfsg1-5ubuntu2) ...
Setting up libldap-2.4-2 (2.4.23-0ubuntu3) ...
Setting up openssl (0.9.8o-1ubuntu4) ...
Setting up ca-certificates (20090814) ...
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs... WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate brasil.gov.br.pem
141 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d....done.
Setting up libcurl3-gnutls (7.21.0-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libexpat1 (2.0.1-7ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libcurl3 (7.21.0-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libxmlrpc-core-c3 (1.06.27-1ubuntu7) ...
Setting up emacsen-common (1.4.19ubuntu1) ...
emacsen-common: Handling install of emacsen flavor emacs
install-info: warning: maintainer scripts should not call install-info anymore,
install-info: warning: this is handled now by a dpkg trigger provided by the
install-info: warning: install-info package; package emacsen-common should be updated.
Setting up cmake-data (2.8.2-2) ...
emacsen-common: Handling install of emacsen flavor emacs
Setting up cmake (2.8.2-2) ...
Setting up pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy (0.invalid.0) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Current status: 0 broken [-1].
 -> Finished parsing the build-deps
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
fakeroot is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
I: Copying back the cached apt archive contents
I: Copying source file
I: copying [../ogreoggsound_1.18-1.dsc]
I: copying [../ogreoggsound_1.18.orig.tar.gz]
I: copying [../ogreoggsound_1.18-1.debian.tar.gz]
I: Extracting source
gpgv: Signature made Sun Jan 23 12:46:58 2011 UTC using RSA key ID 839FF5A2
gpgv: Can't check signature: public key not found
dpkg-source: warning: failed to verify signature on ./ogreoggsound_1.18-1.dsc
dpkg-source: info: extracting ogreoggsound in ogreoggsound-1.18
dpkg-source: info: unpacking ogreoggsound_1.18.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: unpacking ogreoggsound_1.18-1.debian.tar.gz
I: Building the package
I: Running cd tmp/buildd/*/ && dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc  -rfakeroot
dpkg-buildpackage: export CFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export CPPFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor):
dpkg-buildpackage: export CXXFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export FFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export LDFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
dpkg-buildpackage: source package ogreoggsound
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 1.18-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Casper Kejlberg-Rasmussen <svenskmand@gmail.com>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
 dpkg-source --before-build ogreoggsound-1.18
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh clean
   dh_testdir
   dh_auto_clean
   dh_clean
 dpkg-source -b ogreoggsound-1.18
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building ogreoggsound using existing ./ogreoggsound_1.18.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: building ogreoggsound in ogreoggsound_1.18-1.debian.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: building ogreoggsound in ogreoggsound_1.18-1.dsc
 debian/rules build
dh build
   dh_testdir
   dh_auto_configure
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/lib/ccache/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/lib/ccache/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/lib/ccache/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/lib/ccache/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:306 (message):
  pkg-config tool not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:320 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
  CMakeLists.txt:43 (PKG_CHECK_MODULES)

/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:320 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
  CMakeLists.txt:44 (PKG_CHECK_MODULES)

CMakeLists.txt:45 (PKG_CHECK_MODULES)

CMakeLists.txt:46 (PKG_CHECK_MODULES)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
dh_auto_configure: cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON returned exit code 1
make: *** [build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
E: Failed autobuilding of package
I: unmounting /var/cache/pbuilder/ccache filesystem
I: unmounting dev/pts filesystem
I: unmounting proc filesystem
I: cleaning the build env
I: removing directory /var/cache/pbuilder/build//30054 and its subdirectories
ckr@ckr-laptop:~/Desktop/ogreoggsound-1.18$
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 24 Jan 2011, 14:58

sudo apt-get install pkg-config

Package config is a program which finds libraries on your system. Cmake uses it to find the library locations to use in the makefiles it generates.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator