What do we need for 4.10 ?

What do we need for 4.10 ?

Postby paul424 » 09 Mar 2013, 21:08

I think the current things on SF -> download tar gz are bad .
This link ships old, 4.8 version.
We need to tag to 4.10 as well as update SF archive.
The biggest problem is after svnmaskd no longer looks at project , we cannot get the windows binaries working . Any ideas ? ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: What do we need for 4.10 ?

Postby Danimal » 09 Mar 2013, 23:32

is there no way to contact him? Because as much as linux people dislike it, the main playerbase uses windows
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hc » 10 Mar 2013, 20:17

So true, but shouldn't be allowed to be a showstopper, isn't it?

Maybe you can get help after you get a release shipped calling for help.
And you can possibly get more likely devs from the linux player base.

Other than that I would suggest either using a virtual machine or cross-compiling using mingw on linux.
The later would of course demand that libs are available for mingw or that you can compile them yourself.

Remember that platform specific support diverts your core-team-powers away from actual development.
And if you need proprietary (non-gcc) compilers I would drop core-team-windows-support and hope that someone hops in and lends a hand.
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby charlie » 11 Mar 2013, 01:08

Tag 0.4.10 and make a release, stating that a Windows build requires a motivated contributor prepared to create it.

What's the benefit of open source if you can't delegate the occasional task to the community?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Bertram » 12 Mar 2013, 09:25

Hi,

Since I owe one to Charlie, I can have a go at compiling OD for Windows if you want. :)
The dependencies *seem* quite standard to me.

Depending on what is made and what not, I'll give you back a nsis installer script, a cbp file and why not a zip with the needed dependencies.

Just one question:
what branch/tag should I use to build 4.10?

regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 12 Mar 2013, 10:11

The development branch , as it will get TAG 4.10 ....
Can you wait to the end of the week as I polish what can be polished ?
On the other hand thingsend up bad when postponing them >_> ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2013, 13:14

Hey guys, I saw your mail. I have not abandoned the project. I just have other stuff on my mind currently. But if you need a windows build with installer, I can make it for you. I just need some help in compiling the game on windows, as there is likely a few tweaks that is required to the cmake script to compile, at least there where last time.

I can give it a try and report back which errors I get if any, and then release a installer :)

PS: I will be back to OD on a more regulary basis once I have finished my PhD and gotten a hold of one of those jobs that everyone talks about ;) I finish in september :)

Best regards
Svenskmand :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 12 Mar 2013, 14:57

Hi paul424 and svenskmand,

I'm not willing to step on anyone toes and I'm glad the project leader is back :D

I'll gladly give a hand on compile errors if I can.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2013, 17:40

I will take a look on it later tonight :) I will report back here with the flood of compile errors ;) Thanks in advance for all the help you will provide Bertram :D

If I do not get any errors I will upload the installer to SF and notify you guys ;) I assume I should just build HEAD on the development branch? :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 13 Mar 2013, 00:11

Ok, I took a look, I set up the build environment on Windows 7 as follows:
======================================================================
Building Open Dungeons from source on Windows and making a msi-package
======================================================================

Before you can build the game and make a msi-package you need some additional software, follow these steps:

1) Download:

http://www.ogre3d.org/download/sdk/
* We will need the MinGW version

http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Downloads
* We will again need the MinGW version

http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php
* We will again need the MinGW version

2) Setup environment variables:

a) Make OGRE_HOME point to the base of the Ogre SDK,
b) likewise let SFMLDIR point to the base of the SFML SDK,
c) likewise let CEGUIDIR point to the base of the CEGUI SDK,
d) and finally let BOOST_ROOT point to the boost directory inside of the Ogre root dir, which contains the Boost libraries.

3) Install tools and setup more environtment variables:

Install MinGW: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/f ... w-get-inst
* 1) Use the latest repository, 2) select C++ and MSYS Basic, during install.
* Add the bin dir of the MinGW install dir to the Windows Path.
* Also make MINGWDIR point to the install dir of MinGW.

Install WiX 3.5 or later: http://wix.sourceforge.net/index.html
* Add the bin folder of the WiX install to the Windows Path.

We need two files from Paraffine: http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrob ... /4107.aspx
* Copy the files Paraffine.exe and Paraffine.pdb from http://www.wintellect.com/CS/files/fold ... nload.aspx into the bin folder of the Wix Installation.

Install GIT and SVN using these links:

SVN: http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download

GIT: http://git-scm.com/download

* Check that SVN and GIT is available in path

4) Install CMake using this link:

Cmake: http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html
* Remember to check the option to add Cmake to the path.

5) Install 7zip and add the base install folder to the path.

6) Now run the ODBuild.bat script which will make a folder ODBuildWork where it will build the game and finally make these files:

Bitmaps
Game
License.rtf
OD-Logo.ico
OpenDungeons.msi
OpenDungeons.wixobj
OpenDungeons.wixpdb
OpenDungeons.wxs
OpenDungeonsFragment.wixobj
OpenDungeonsFragment.wxs

Where OpenDungeons.msi will be the finished msi-installer package and Game contains a working version of the game.

I then downloaded the game through svn and git and tried to build it using these commands:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
rd /s /q ODBuildWork
mkdir ODBuildWork
cd ODBuildWork
REM We use call as git does not return propper exit codes which makes the script exit prematurely :(
call git clone git://opendungeons.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opendungeons/opendungeons opendungeons
cd opendungeons
call git checkout -b development remotes/origin/development
cd ..
svn export https://opendungeons.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/opendungeons/media opendungeons\build
cd opendungeons
cd build
REM Removes the .git folders in build and all subfolders.
REM FOR /F "tokens=*" %%G IN ('DIR /B /AD /S *.svn*') DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%G"
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%G IN ('DIR /B /AD /S *.git*') DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%G"
cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" ..
mingw32-make

Which produced the following errors
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
C:\Users\ckr\Desktop\OD\ODWinInstallWiX\ODBuildWork\opendungeons\build>cmake -G
"MinGW Makefiles" ..
-- CMake build type is not set, defaulting to 'Release'
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.7.2
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.7.2
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/MinGW/bin/g++.exe
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/MinGW/bin/g++.exe -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Looking for OIS...
-- OIS_PREFIX_PATH changed.
-- Could NOT find PkgConfig (missing:  PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE)
-- Found OIS: optimized;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1/lib/rel
ease/libOIS.dll.a;debug;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1/lib/deb
ug/libOIS_d.dll.a
-- Looking for OGRE...
-- OGRE_PREFIX_WATCH changed.
-- Found Ogre Byatis (1.8.1)
-- Found OGRE: optimized;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1/lib/re
lease/libOgreMain.dll.a;debug;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1/l
ib/debug/libOgreMain_d.dll.a
-- Looking for OGRE_Paging...
-- Found OGRE_Paging: optimized;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1
/lib/release/libOgrePaging.dll.a;debug;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_MinGW
_v1-8-1/lib/debug/libOgrePaging_d.dll.a
-- Looking for OGRE_Terrain...
-- Found OGRE_Terrain: optimized;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-
1/lib/release/libOgreTerrain.dll.a;debug;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_Min
GW_v1-8-1/lib/debug/libOgreTerrain_d.dll.a
-- Looking for OGRE_Property...
-- Found OGRE_Property: optimized;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8
-1/lib/release/libOgreProperty.dll.a;debug;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_M
inGW_v1-8-1/lib/debug/libOgreProperty_d.dll.a
-- Looking for OGRE_RTShaderSystem...
-- Found OGRE_RTShaderSystem: optimized;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/SDK/OgreSDK_MinG
W_v1-8-1/lib/release/libOgreRTShaderSystem.dll.a;debug;C:/Users/ckr/Desktop/OD/S
DK/OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1/lib/debug/libOgreRTShaderSystem_d.dll.a
-- looking for headers
CMake Error at C:/Program Files (x86)/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPack
ageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:97 (message):
  Could NOT find CEGUI (missing: CEGUI_LIBRARY CEGUIOGRE_LIBRARY)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  C:/Program Files (x86)/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStan
dardArgs.cmake:291 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  cmake/modules/FindCEGUI.cmake:68 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  CMakeLists.txt:207 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

C:\Users\ckr\Desktop\OD\ODWinInstallWiX\ODBuildWork\opendungeons\build>mingw32-m
ake
mingw32-make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

C:\Users\ckr\Desktop\OD\ODWinInstallWiX\ODBuildWork\opendungeons\build>

First of all, I use Ogre 1.8.1, CEGUI 0.7.9 and SFML 1.6, which versions do you use?

Cmake looks for "PkgConfig" which it could not find, I am not sure what this is for, is it something similarly to dpkg for linux?

I have not defined CEGUI_LIBRARY or CEGUIOGRE_LIBRARY in my path, but the lib part of the CEGUI base is empty :S I assume maybe that CEGUIOGRE_LIBRARY should point to OGRE_HOME\lib what do you think?

Update: also it seems the CEGUI version I download does not contain a precompiled version of CEGUI to be used when I build, I am pretty sure we used a precompiled libraries when I last build the game.

Update^2: I found this video on building CEGUI using MinGW from source, it seems to be quite the challenge :S I wonder why the CEGUI guys have stopped delivering precompiled SDK's, this situation is horrible :S All this mess is why I wanted to avoid windows altogether and simply cross-compile in Linux for Windows. I think the reason why I failed last time, might be that the CEGUI guys decided to not ship a precompiled SDK. So setting up cross-compilation would require building CEGUI also using cross-compiling.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 13 Mar 2013, 09:41

Hi :)

From what I understand and if I'm correct, pkgconfig is a module trying to read a pkgconfig file permitting to put a different installation prefix by the binary user:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pkg-config
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/20 ... 47581.html

Now, depending on how the project is using the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX variable in the CMakeLists.txt files for windows and whether you're using a pkg-config file, the solution differs IMHO.

If the app is using the current folder to find its data on windows or is setting a custom install prefix for this os, then you don't need pkgconfig for windows and can add:
IF (NOT WIN32)
find_package(PkgConfig)
ENDIF()
so that this module is ignored, for instance.

As for the CEGUI SDK, I think you don't have any choice than building your own sdk first, indeed. :/

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 13 Mar 2013, 10:27

First of all, I use Ogre 1.8.1, CEGUI 0.7.9 and SFML 1.6, which versions do you use?

Here I work with Ogre 1.8.1, CEGUI 0.7.6 and SFML 1.6 , OpenSuse 12.2.
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 13 Mar 2013, 17:21

Bertram {l Wrote}:Hi :)

From what I understand and if I'm correct, pkgconfig is a module trying to read a pkgconfig file permitting to put a different installation prefix by the binary user:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pkg-config
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/20 ... 47581.html

Now, depending on how the project is using the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX variable in the CMakeLists.txt files for windows and whether you're using a pkg-config file, the solution differs IMHO.

If the app is using the current folder to find its data on windows or is setting a custom install prefix for this os, then you don't need pkgconfig for windows and can add:
IF (NOT WIN32)
find_package(PkgConfig)
ENDIF()
so that this module is ignored, for instance.

As for the CEGUI SDK, I think you don't have any choice than building your own sdk first, indeed. :/

Best regards,

Thanks for the info :) Can you maybe add this to the cmake file in the repo? Thanks :)

I will try and figure out if I can compile cegui from source then :S I will make a script for that also.

paul424 {l Wrote}:First of all, I use Ogre 1.8.1, CEGUI 0.7.9 and SFML 1.6, which versions do you use?

Here I work with Ogre 1.8.1, CEGUI 0.7.6 and SFML 1.6 , OpenSuse 12.2.

I use Ogre 1.8.1, CEGUI 0.7.9 and SFML 1.6. I compiled on Windows 7. But I think I will try and cross-compile CEGUI for windows under Ubuntu using mingw32-make.

So I should use cegui 0.7.6 you say?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 13 Mar 2013, 18:00

I don't think you have to worry about the pkg-config thing, as it's not supposed to be used on windows anyway.

I don't think there is any reason to use anything but the newest stable version of CEGUI. It shouldn't be too complicated to compile it though.

I seem to remember there being some issues with cross-compiling when you tried it last time.
oln

Postby Bertram » 15 Mar 2013, 11:11

Hi,

oln {l Wrote}:I don't think you have to worry about the pkg-config thing, as it's not supposed to be used on windows anyway.

Precision: IIRC, It can be, yet it's still something messy for windows IMHO, and indeed, better not use it for this OS.

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Thanks for the info :) Can you maybe add this to the cmake file in the repo? Thanks :)

Err... Me? I don't think I have access to the repo, yet this change is trivial, so please go ahead and don't wait for a stranger like me. ;)

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I will try and figure out if I can compile cegui from source then :S I will make a script for that also.

Good luck on that :)

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 21 Mar 2013, 10:15

Hi there,

Any update on the Win compilation process?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 21 Mar 2013, 11:52

You might be needing to turn the support for c++11 standard. Hausufell was bi****ing on IRC that it does not compile , than he didn't help to update CMakeList.txt although he knows that system by heart . Ehhh "The hell is the other ... " {Sartre }
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 21 Mar 2013, 14:51

Hi Paul,

Just in case, there is an official English translation of that one: "Hell is other people". :)

As for the compilation, I really thought Sven was struggling with CEGui first. I then think we're not there yet...

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 24 Mar 2013, 20:31

Why do you try to crosscompile at all ? You just choose additional obstacles for goal .

Svenskmad , I suppose you have access to Win , so try native compiling . CEGUI is using Premake :
Binary deps are here :

http://cegui.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6323

I don't also get whether you are having problems getting binary CEGUI ( first step ) or withing the pkg-config query in the CMAKE OD's script ( second step ) .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 25 Mar 2013, 10:29

Hi Paul,

Why do you try to crosscompile at all ? You just choose additional obstacles for goal .

From what I understood, Sven was trying to compile in Windows, but still using CMake. That's why he was having problems
with pkg-config.

I hope he CEGui links will help him.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 26 Mar 2013, 13:04

I have to compile CEGUI myself whatever I compile under Windows or if I cross compile. And since doing anything in Windows is a BIG pain, I go for option number two. Cross compiling. Then we can also setup a build server to make nightlies and make building and releasing new versions as simple as the push of a button.

Yes I am very very very lazy, I prefer spending countless hours making a script that can do any trivial and boring task for me ;)

PS: I have not had much time lately, I am writing on a final version of an article and I also have my thesis. But when I find some time I will give it a go. If anyone wants to help out, then cross-compiling CEGUI under Linux would be a great help :) Preferably by making a script that can do it.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 29 Apr 2013, 13:14

Hi,

I still need to finish something first,
but I'll definitely have a go myself at the windows binary. I can't promise I'll take the time to create a cross-compile script but I'll make sure to write down all I did to get something running and provide some dependencies archives if I manage to get something done.

I'll try to keep everyone informed here.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 29 Apr 2013, 14:08

Thanks, that would be very welcome, a new release will be very benefical for the project
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 01 May 2013, 08:02

Just a few things left on VT before a new RC. Then, I'll start on this.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 13 Jun 2013, 12:36

Hi again,

Just to point out I'm still in the middle of it, namely struggling with CEGUI atm while dealing with all the rest I'm up with.

I saw there is a new OD dev, this is cool news :)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator