Blog post topics

Blog post topics

Postby StefanP.MUC » 23 Nov 2011, 10:57

This thread is for collecting possible topics (propose the headline here) for the blog and coordinating who writes what when. So that we don't end up with 10 minor posts per week, but with one good and detailed post every one/two/three weeks.

Our goal is to write one blog post at least monthly. Bigger frequencies are better, of course.

Regular topics
  • Presenting of major new code features
  • Presenting of graphics submissions
  • Detailed presenting of major tasks that are decided and only need to be done
Non-regular topics
  • Release anouncments
  • Urgent non regular tasks (hunting for blocker bugs, updating libraries, ...)
  • Competitions (like OGA challenge)
  • (?) Awarding new contributers (?)
StefanP.MUC

Re: Blog post topics

Postby svenskmand » 23 Nov 2011, 11:53

So you do not want a blog post about a piece of art somebody have made? Or do you rather want to aggregate it into one blog post a week/month with it all in?
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 23 Nov 2011, 12:11

Yes, we should aggregate several stuff into meaningful blog posts. It doesn't make sense to write dozens of blog posts about small single models. If we flood the blog (and the FDG planet) with small posts nobody will read it anymore after one month of minimalistic articles.

Example:
Someone made 5 new and good models for us. This is worth an exclusive blog post.
Someone made a better training doll out of the existing one. This is not worth an exclusive blog post, but can be added to a "post of collected minor stuff".
The same holds for features, of course.

And collecting the stuff worth mentioning in the blog is the purpose of this topic.
StefanP.MUC

Postby Danimal » 23 Nov 2011, 12:50

Its not good referencing to competence, but the WFTO is a good example of how a blog should be updated, you should go have a look there, the basic are the same but they know how to spice things up. That doesnt mean we have to copy then, but we can take notes.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 29 Nov 2011, 17:34

Topic reminder for the next blog post, whoever writes it:
- timong's music
- again remember/link to the urgent tasks post
- timongs video
- emphasis on the thread crasher bug (if we can't fix it until then)
Last edited by StefanP.MUC on 04 Dec 2011, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
StefanP.MUC

Postby timong » 04 Dec 2011, 15:53

Ok, discussed some slight modifications to the ending text in the new dev trailer video (on IRC channel), and uploaded it to OpenDungeons channel with oln's help.

So here it is, the finalized version for maybe a blawg post!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbw_MRc4gs
If things get settled around the crash bug and stuff, we can start campaigning with it as well. :)
timong

Postby svenskmand » 12 Dec 2011, 02:14

I have written the blog post of the latest updates. But I am having trouble getting the fancy gallery feature to work. It works on the about page, but it does not work on the Blog page for some reason :( Any help here would be swell :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 12 Dec 2011, 16:41

Very nice post. :)

The gallery doesn't work, because the blog posts are in the url "od.sf.net/articles/" where the jquery.js file does not exist (the file is in the root), while all other non-blog pages are displayed on the root url. But I have no idea how to fix this, because this is not a real directory, but only a displayed one... Someone with knowledge of the .htaccess rewrite rules has to fix this.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 12 Dec 2011, 17:28

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:Very nice post. :)

Thank you :)

Maybe Oln and you could look into it. Oln fixed the .htaccess file last time I think.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 12 Dec 2011, 18:16

I think oln is our man here. :D My knowledge about htaccess is very low. I know what it's good for, but I have no idea about all the functions, features and best practices. :D
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 13 Dec 2011, 14:36

The images in the blog post look fine to me. (Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to mess around with fixing the .htaccess stuff for the time being.)
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 17 Mar 2012, 21:21

I just published a blog post about our revival. I included an extended current task list.
StefanP.MUC

Postby ctdabomb » 18 Mar 2012, 00:57

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:I just published a blog post about our revival. I included an extended current task list.

have a link?
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby StefanP.MUC » 18 Mar 2012, 09:46

StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 18 Mar 2012, 10:44

Paul424 said he wanted to work on the main menu on IRC the other day, so he might be underway with that task already.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 18 Mar 2012, 15:44

Nice post Stefan :)

Paul424 if you need some help with making the graphics for the main menu, let me know. I can make you whatever you need in Inkscape :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator