Wiki styling :)

Re: Wiki styling :)

Postby xapantu » 27 Mar 2010, 19:46

Yes, I will try ! (I have not many time to do it now but I hope I could do it soon :) )
xapantu

Postby andrewbuck » 27 Mar 2010, 21:31

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Xapantu: When you make the skin, could you also change the the download link in the left sidepanel to start with a capital letter? It has annoyed me a long time, I do not know how to change it :(

I actually had a go at this earlier today, in theory all that needs to happen is someone needs to edit the page Mediawiki:Sidebar to make the list the way it should be. However when you go to edit that page the "Download" link is already capitilized. I then thought "maybe the problem is that the download page itself is not capitlized". To try to fix this I moved download to tempPage, deleted download, and then moved tempPage to Download. This did not seem to work either. Hopefully someone else has an idea how we might fix this as it does look pretty bad.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 27 Mar 2010, 21:46

If I could get the right permissions, I could have a go at it? Right now I am not allowed to edit that page.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 27 Mar 2010, 22:41

I have now placed all my contributions in a zip-file, and I will be maintaining this regularly, when I make new stuff :)

http://www.cs.au.dk/~ckr/OpenDungeons.zip (Approx. 22 MiB)

It is licensed as GPLv3 and above.

I was considering using the CC-BY-SA license, that is the creative-commons license, with attribution, and share-alike (copyleft), as this license is made for art-content, and the GPL is not directly intended for that. I saw that the FSF said that GPL and CC-BY-SA are not compatible, but I am not sure why :S, anybody have any insight into this?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 28 Mar 2010, 02:03

You do have the option of dual licensing. You agree to release the content you made under either license and any individual who wants to use your content can choose which of the two licenses they use. Whichever one they choose they accept the whole thing, they don't get to mix and match. I am not sure of the specific differences between the two licenses however it is these minor differences which make the two licenses incompatible; one says you can do something, while the other says you can't (or you can but only in certain circumstances, etc). Actually, in retrospect I think it might be the "attribution" clause in cc-by-sa, I don't think the GPL has this as a requirement.

In my opinion, if you don't understand the differences, they likely don't matter to you anyway and dual licensing is therefore the best option; your users can use whatever works best for them. Both licenses share the same spirit (allowing others to use your work, provided they allow still others to do the same). Of course I am not an attorney, and this is not specific legal advice. Copyright law is merely a hobby of mine.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 28 Mar 2010, 10:06

Why not CC-BY? CC-BY-SA is more restrictive than CC-BY according to the opengameart FAQ.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby xapantu » 28 Mar 2010, 10:11

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:
svenskmand {l Wrote}:Xapantu: When you make the skin, could you also change the the download link in the left sidepanel to start with a capital letter? It has annoyed me a long time, I do not know how to change it :(

I actually had a go at this earlier today, in theory all that needs to happen is someone needs to edit the page Mediawiki:Sidebar to make the list the way it should be. However when you go to edit that page the "Download" link is already capitilized. I then thought "maybe the problem is that the download page itself is not capitlized". To try to fix this I moved download to tempPage, deleted download, and then moved tempPage to Download. This did not seem to work either. Hopefully someone else has an idea how we might fix this as it does look pretty bad.

-Buck

We can make this with :
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
text-transform : capitalize;

I will do that as soon as I will have time ;)
xapantu

Postby xapantu » 28 Mar 2010, 18:09

I started to make the skin :
Capture-22.png

It is not finished at all ! ;)
xapantu

Postby xapantu » 28 Mar 2010, 18:12

svenskmand : your SVGs don't work :( and your Menu.png image isn't the same in the mockup : http://forum.freegamedev.net/download/file.php?id=261&mode=view
xapantu

Postby TheAncientGoat » 28 Mar 2010, 19:44

Looking good so far, xapantu!
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 28 Mar 2010, 20:00

xapantu {l Wrote}:svenskmand : your SVGs don't work :( and your Menu.png image isn't the same in the mockup : http://forum.freegamedev.net/download/file.php?id=261&mode=view

It was not supposed to be the same as in the menu.

Regarding the svg's, they are made in windows, so the paths is apparently the problem :S I will try and fix it.

Edit: can see that inkscape always uses absolute paths, so this will always be a problem :(

Edit^2: Ok I found a way to fix it. They should be working now :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 28 Mar 2010, 21:06

xapantu {l Wrote}:I started to make the skin :
Capture-22.png

It is not finished at all ! ;)

Looks good :), but you have not used the text colors that I provided in OpenDungeons/WikiSkins/Dark/TextColors.txt then the text should be more readable, especially the links :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 28 Mar 2010, 23:02

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Why not CC-BY? CC-BY-SA is more restrictive than CC-BY according to the opengameart FAQ.

Because CC-BY-SA has copyleft, which I like :) then everybody that wants to use my stuff will also have to let other people use his stuff, which I think is fair :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 29 Mar 2010, 14:55

I still find the background way too noisy. I bet it'll be very annoying to read the wiki.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 29 Mar 2010, 15:09

Skorpio {l Wrote}:I still find the background way too noisy. I bet it'll be very annoying to read the wiki.

I think that's true. Furthermore, the red link color is not readable, and the normal links are hard to see.

My suggestion would be to overlay the bg with one of its colors by ~75%
Capture-22.png

PS: the bg seems like a great skin/leather texture to me.

PPS: If you would like to test my suggestion but changing all the images is tedious, I could try creating an imagemagick script to do it automatically if needed.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 29 Mar 2010, 17:33

Yep, the texture itself is nice, but I'd rather use it on a model than on the wiki.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 29 Mar 2010, 17:52

The texture is 2048x2048, and on Xapantu's shot you can see the tilling, so it is zoomed way out there, it should not be zoomed. When you just look at the texture in its native size on you screen it is not noisy. You can try it you self, open the PergamentDark.png and look at it in its native resolution, then it looks fine :) I can try and update the mock shot. Then you can see it, in the mock shot it is also tiled :S
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby xapantu » 29 Mar 2010, 18:12

svenskmand {l Wrote}:The texture is 2048x2048, and on Xapantu's shot you can see the tilling, so it is zoomed way out there, it should not be zoomed. When you just look at the texture in its native size on you screen it is not noisy. You can try it you self, open the PergamentDark.png and look at it in its native resolution, then it looks fine :) I can try and update the mock shot. Then you can see it, in the mock shot it is also tiled :S

I don't understand : you want to use a 2040x2048 background ?
xapantu

Postby svenskmand » 29 Mar 2010, 18:56

The PergamentDark.png is a 2048x2048 png, in you shot you have resized it. It was not supposed to be resized, but just have its native resolution, and if it is too wide for the screen it should be cut off in the right, and if it is too hight it should be cut off at the bottom of the screen, this should be done by the browser, when you watch the page.

Here is how the final wiki page should look, where the fonts may be subject to some change in size.

Edit: I can see the the logo should be a little larger and centered :)
Attachments
Shot.png
How the final wiki page should look.
Last edited by svenskmand on 29 Mar 2010, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 29 Mar 2010, 19:11

I have now corrected some errors, this should be the final look :)

The zip file is updated. EDIT: as of now :)

By the way how do I list all files recursively in a subdirectory? I have tried ls -R, but then It prints allot for each sub-directory, I only want one line per file, and nothing else, that is no directories and stuff
Attachments
Shot.png
Final mock up :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 29 Mar 2010, 19:40

svenskmand {l Wrote}:By the way how do I list all files recursively in a subdirectory? I have tried ls -R, but then It prints allot for each sub-directory, I only want one line per file, and nothing else, that is no directories and stuff

This:
find OpenDungeons

almost does the trick, but it also lists folders, that is it gives output like this
OpenDungeons/
OpenDungeons/file1
OpenDungeons/file2
OpenDungeons/dir1/
OpenDungeons/dir1/file1
OpenDungeons/dir1/file2

it should not do that, it should look like this
OpenDungeons/file1
OpenDungeons/file2
OpenDungeons/dir1/file1
OpenDungeons/dir1/file2

so the first and fourth line is not there as they are directories. Any ideas how to to that?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby xapantu » 29 Mar 2010, 19:55

Ok, I hope I will finish the skin soon.
The PergamentDark.png is a 2048x2048 png, in you shot you have resized it. It was not supposed to be resized, but just have its native resolution, and if it is too wide for the screen it should be cut off in the right, and if it is too hight it should be cut off at the bottom of the screen, this should be done by the browser, when you watch the page.

But this image is very big, so I am not sure it is a good solution (but I will try and we will see).

Otherwise : can you make amockup of the footer ? and personal buttons ?
xapantu

Postby svenskmand » 29 Mar 2010, 21:50

xapantu {l Wrote}:Ok, I hope I will finish the skin soon.

But this image is very big, so I am not sure it is a good solution (but I will try and we will see).

Otherwise : can you make amockup of the footer ? and personal buttons ?

Yes I will do that, in a moment :) EDIT: I will do it tomorrow :)

But you know what I mean when I say that you should just let the png be cut of in the right and bottom on screens that are too small?
Last edited by svenskmand on 29 Mar 2010, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 29 Mar 2010, 22:02

Regarding the footer, I was thinking about making the mediawiki logo have a wax seal look, but do any of you know if I am allowed to do that? That is I change the appearance of their logo :S Just thought it would look so cool, and also fit with the rest of the wiki-design :)

Here is a neat tutorial on how to do it:
http://www.rnel.net/tutorial/Photoshop/3250
Then you can also see what I mean :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 29 Mar 2010, 23:27

svenskmand {l Wrote}:
svenskmand {l Wrote}:By the way how do I list all files recursively in a subdirectory? I have tried ls -R, but then It prints allot for each sub-directory, I only want one line per file, and nothing else, that is no directories and stuff

This:
find OpenDungeons

almost does the trick, but it also lists folders, that is it gives output like this
OpenDungeons/
OpenDungeons/file1
OpenDungeons/file2
OpenDungeons/dir1/
OpenDungeons/dir1/file1
OpenDungeons/dir1/file2

it should not do that, it should look like this
OpenDungeons/file1
OpenDungeons/file2
OpenDungeons/dir1/file1
OpenDungeons/dir1/file2

so the first and fourth line is not there as they are directories. Any ideas how to to that?

Try this

cd opendungeons
find . -type f -print

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator