Website, Part two (plan, roadmap, final decisions)

Re: Website, Part two (plan, roadmap, final decisions)

Postby StefanP.MUC » 30 Oct 2011, 14:29

Yes, the menu background. The layer under the navigation links.

Yes, it's possible, but I don't want to mess around with pixel-exact positioning again. ;) Also, personally I like 100% width style more.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 30 Oct 2011, 16:24

So should it still be the gray menu, just in a longer version? And what parts of it do you plan to make with CSS? What parts do you need me to make?
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 30 Oct 2011, 16:53

Only one small tile that has some vertical color effect on it (maybe also with clear edge at the top and bottom that looks like a border). This tile will be tiled from x = 0 to x = screenwidth. An on top of this will be the navigation buttons (which will be designed with pure css).

We could also use a single-color menu background, than we don't need a background image. But I think this wouldn't fit to the rest of the page design that uses tiled background images.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 30 Oct 2011, 17:14

Ok I will try and come up with something.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 03 Nov 2011, 18:31

Try it out and see if it is usefull.
Attachments
Menu.png
Menu.png (14.24 KiB) Viewed 13626 times
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 05 Nov 2011, 17:47

Thanks. Looks really good. :) In the last two days I played around with this. Looks really good on the page, imho. But have a look yourself. :D

The only thing, maybe, is that it could be slightly to big. It's 75px currently, maybe ~50 to 60px would be enough. But this would be a very quick fix if we agree on this (changing two or three numbers in the css and exchange the image).

What do you think?

edit: The thing about the menu size ist this: If the menu bar is very large, we also have to make the text size very large (otherwise it looks very empty). But doing this limits the whole page to wide resolutions (on small res the menus will do an automatic line break which is bad). With this aspect I think, the whole menu should be 100% x 50px (with slightly smaller text than it is now).
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 05 Nov 2011, 18:41

It looks really good :) Only thing is that when you click development the whole menu moves, that should be fixed.

Also could you make the same vertical space between the logo and the menu as you have between the logo and the top of the screen?

Also the menu text does not look completely centered on the vertical along the menu. Could you move it a bit up? (approximately 5 % up I think).

Here is a 50 px version.
Attachments
Menu.png
I also make the bright edge a little bit less bright.
Menu.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 13596 times
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 05 Nov 2011, 18:54

It's more than just the menu that moves when you click on development. (For some reason.)

I think the transition between the menu and the body is a bit sharp. The transition to the header looks good with the shaded background.
EDIT: You changed the 50px one a bit, maybe that will help.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 05 Nov 2011, 19:51

Yeah your right the whole thing moves :S

I can made the menu a bit transparent in the edges to make the transition smoother.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 05 Nov 2011, 20:53

The "moving" comes when you go to a subpage that is longer than your screen is high - then your browsers needs to display a scrollbar, making the screen width smaller (and thus having to recalculate the positions of the page elements). ;)

edit: Done. Have a look. :)
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 05 Nov 2011, 22:55

It is looking really good now :)

The transition between the menu and the parchment is still too sharp. I have attached a new version of the menu where there is a small shadow below it, which should make the transition look better.

Also could you make a little bit more space between the logo and the menu, they are still a bit too close.

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:The "moving" comes when you go to a subpage that is longer than your screen is high - then your browsers needs to display a scrollbar, making the screen width smaller (and thus having to recalculate the positions of the page elements). ;)

edit: Done. Have a look. :)

Is it possible to detect if there is a scroll bar and then adjust displacement from the center accordingly to avoid having it move?

PS: you forgot to make a media page, where we have screenshots and videos.

PS^2: If nothing else I think we should just display the scroll bar always, as that is better than having the weird moving of the page all the time. Here is another link with more details on solutions.
Attachments
Menu.png
Menu.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 13582 times
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 06 Nov 2011, 11:03

OK, have a look. :D With new menu bar and always-on scrollbar.

edit: I think a plain media gallery shouldn't be on the web site. We should have one very good video and two or three very good screenshots in "About". The media gallery can be on the wiki and About will have a link to the media gallery on the wiki.
The whole purpose of the website is to give the user a good entrance point with all the basics information. Everything that goes deeper than news, download links and game/dev summaries should not be on the website (but on the wiki, linked from the website).
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 06 Nov 2011, 12:35

Nice work, now it looks complete :)

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:edit: I think a plain media gallery shouldn't be on the web site. We should have one very good video and two or three very good screenshots in "About". The media gallery can be on the wiki and About will have a link to the media gallery on the wiki.
The whole purpose of the website is to give the user a good entrance point with all the basics information. Everything that goes deeper than news, download links and game/dev summaries should not be on the website (but on the wiki, linked from the website).

The website should be the main entrance to OpenDungeons, and should also advertise the game, that is the main purpose of the site. Whenever I check out new games the first thing I am looking for is a video about the game in the media section (which all games have now a days), if I do not find this, then it is very likely that I will move on to another game. So I think it is the Media section that should be the main "selling" point for the game.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 06 Nov 2011, 12:52

We will have a video and some screenshots, of course. But dozens of similar pictures only overflood the page without giving additional "advertisement" or information. Having a few high quality screenshots that show different parts of the game holds much more information about it than having 30 screenshots that show almost the same things. (Apart from the fact that we only have one map currently - so there's not much to show anyways ;) )

We should - at least for this early dev stage - only have three if our best picture.

Personally, I'm always distracted if I go to a game website and the first thing I see are endless lists of uncommented screenshots.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 06 Nov 2011, 13:13

Sounds like a good idea, but I still think it should be located under media. I would not expect videos and screenshots to be under the about link, normally I would expect a short description of the game. But maybe that is just me, what does anybody else think, should the few good videos and screenshots be under "About" or under "Media"?

The smalle selection of videos and screenshots could be like what they have done for War$ow here.

Edit: I updated the about part to what you said, but I would like to have a two column format, so I have the text in the left side and the video and screenshots in the right side. Is that possible?

Edit^2: The code listings environment needs some tweaking, it looks terrible, see the download page, where I added instructions on how to install in Ubuntu.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 06 Nov 2011, 14:07

Looks good so far. :) The About page has a sidebar. You can insert stuff there by clicking on the "sidebar" tab in the admin menu of the About page.

Yeah, the css for code listings need some tweaking. I will have a look later.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 06 Nov 2011, 15:02

It looks bad to have the videos and pictures in the sidebar so I changed it to be in the main content. But how do I change the size of a picture? Also I would if there where a gallery where you click a picture and then it pops up in a window where you can browse through the pictures.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 06 Nov 2011, 20:47

I think sourceforge still requires a logo on the site, so I added a footer. Not sure how it should look though.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 06 Nov 2011, 22:43

oln {l Wrote}:I think sourceforge still requires a logo on the site, so I added a footer. Not sure how it should look though.

Yes it is required. I think we should place it in the bottom right corner of the page, inside the sidebar, see the attached image. We should use the 80x15 silver logo.

Another option is to make a footer, like Oln suggested. I just do not know how it should look right now.
Attachments
ODWebPageWithSFLogo.png
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 06 Nov 2011, 22:53

Yeah, putting it in the corner might be easier. I think we should also include the copyright thing, and the wolfcms link. Linking back to wolfcms is not required by the license (GPL), but I think it's a nice thing to do anyhow.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 07 Nov 2011, 00:09

oln {l Wrote}:Yeah, putting it in the corner might be easier. I think we should also include the copyright thing, and the wolfcms link. Linking back to wolfcms is not required by the license (GPL), but I think it's a nice thing to do anyhow.

Yeah, that is a good idea. I found a page with their logos. I will think a bit more about how exactly they should be placed.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 07 Nov 2011, 00:11

The default design has a simple "WolfCMS inside"-link, so we could just go with that. Though i suppose using logos for that, and for CC-BY-SA could make it fit better in the corner.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 07 Nov 2011, 00:20

oln {l Wrote}:The default design has a simple "WolfCMS inside"-link, so we could just go with that. Though i suppose using logos for that, and for CC-BY-SA could make it fit better in the corner.

Do you also want a logo for CC-BY-SA 3.0? In that case we should also have one for GPL v3.

I think we should instead just have one for the FDL as the site only contains documentation? We should probably also make it clear that the content in the wiki is FDL?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 07 Nov 2011, 00:35

By that I meant the license for the content on the web-site itself. Has the wiki been GFDL? That is a bit troublesome.
And yeah, we need a license thing and sourceforge logo on the wiki itself.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 07 Nov 2011, 00:50

oln {l Wrote}:By that I meant the license for the content on the web-site itself. Has the wiki been GFDL? That is a bit troublesome.
And yeah, we need a license thing and sourceforge logo on the wiki itself.

I think GFDL is standard for MediaWiki? Why is that a problem anyway?
svenskmand
OD Moderator