Website

Re: Website

Postby oln » 13 Apr 2011, 21:43

I have imported the pages into the new site. Need to reupload images, and fix some pages though.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 13 Apr 2011, 22:06

Nice work guys :) How about math/LaTeX support is that working?
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 13 Apr 2011, 23:01

It's enabled, but it needs imagemagick, which is not available on the server. Should be possible to install it though, as it's a pert script.
EDIT: Not sure if it can be installed. Though, it is supposed to be available, still can't get it to work though.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 14 Apr 2011, 16:12

I'm currently styling the website some further. Took the transparent box for TOCs and Code from the old wiki (without the bg picture) and adjusted the line heigth and some colors.

The MediaWiki converter did mess somethings up. But I think it produced less new work than it saved us, so it is OK. ;)
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 14 Apr 2011, 19:30

Just say when you need me to make stuff :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 14 Apr 2011, 19:48

What should be done most do get the new site release-ready would be to re-sort and correctly link the content. The download page shouldn't hold the building instructions. These should get their own page and be linked from the development page. The Download page should just have the links to the latest stable release and in the future to nightly builds (if/when we have some).

Simply speaking: the menu buttons (About, Download, Development) should lead to overview pages that contain clearly named headlines and small to medium teaser texts with links to the pages with detailed information on the topics.
So that the players and potential developers can get into a clear "information flow" starting with an overview and ending with indepth details. There should be no pages that can't be reached with a link ("dead page").
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 14 Apr 2011, 21:26

Ok, your missing "Documentation" and "Blog" links in the menu bar, by the way. Where is the "main" page of the old wiki? The portal page, this one? The "Development" link should point to that.

You completely done with the import from the old wiki then? If so I think we should make an annoucement in the forums that nobody should post or change content in the old wiki, until we have fixed stuff in the new one.

But the "Development" link will still link to a page looking like the old wiki right?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 14 Apr 2011, 21:32

Import is finished yes.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 15 Apr 2011, 01:25

Why are the wiki syntax not the same as in MediaWiki? Can we change that? E.g. TikiWiki and MediaWiki.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 15 Apr 2011, 07:54

"Blog" == "News". Don't think we need two of these article lists that basically do the same. If there's an urgent need for a separate blog in the future, with tikiwiki it will be a matter of only some mouseclicks to add one.

What would go into Documentation currently? It's not like we have some kind of "manual" already. ;) (lthis can also be added with a few clicks when needed)

TikiWiki syntax can't be changed.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 15 Apr 2011, 11:13

Well you proposed the Blog and Documentation links yourself ;)

The documentation could point to game controls for now.

Also the layout of text on the pages is terrible compared to MediaWiki, something needs to be done to that. Why is there so much white space every where, it looks like crap :S
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 15 Apr 2011, 11:19

Looks like mediawiki ignores some of the white space (such as white space after titles), and handles it a bit differently than tiki. So some of this has to be fixed in the wiki pages.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 01:11

oln {l Wrote}:I have imported the pages into the new site. Need to reupload images, and fix some pages though.

Can we download all images from the old wiki in one go then?

When you click the link to the wiki, we will have the old wiki layout right? In my opinion that looks best on the wiki part.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 16 Apr 2011, 10:10

Yeah, can download all the images in one go, atleast with sftp.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 13:27

Can you do that and post a zip with them here? I will then go through some of the pages fix them up. I will list each page and the corresponding pictures that I have processed.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 16 Apr 2011, 14:29

Downloading now.
oln

Postby oln » 16 Apr 2011, 15:37

Okay, uploaded here.
Also, the portal page should be linked from somewhere, not sure where though.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 15:55

The development link should point to the portal page. But when you click the development link the old wiki skin will be there right?

Why was it you wanted to switch to this TikiWiki system? There is a shit-load of work of porting the wiki, what should the benefits be?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 16 Apr 2011, 16:06

It will look like the other pages.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 16:27

What will look like the other pages, the wiki? Why is that important?

I see the need for a simple website which have links to downloads, gives a basic introduction the game and shows videos and screenshots. But why should that be tightly coupled with the wiki? As Stefan talked about earlier, the normal user does not really care about the content in the wiki. And if the change should be for the developers I do not really see the benefit, the old wiki was fine in my opinion, I am not going to look a the simple website anyways, and I do not need the two to blend together nicely. So who will benefit at all from this?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 16 Apr 2011, 16:41

Well everything on there is the wiki basically. If you just wanted a front page with news we could have just thrown up a wordpress installation and not have bothered with importing and such.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 16:47

I just want to hear pros and cons before I go all in on this. It will take a long time to port all the pages of the old wiki to the new one that is all. Also I like the monobook look better for wikipages :S Is it possible to style different parts of the page differently?

Do you have some examples of projects/pages that use tikiwiki to show the diversity you can achieve?

I see something called "Tracker" in the tikiwiki config pages, does it support git and svn, both at the same time?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 17:03

svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 16 Apr 2011, 19:19

I don't think the tracker has any integration with git/svn, you would have to install bugzilla, mantis or similar for that.
The ogre wiki uses tiki, you can also look at the theme previews on tikiwiki.org, one of the mozilla wikis use it as well.
I don't know what is the best solution either. But I think it's nice to have everything on one system instead of having it spread out on different pages with different layouts and logins.
I am fine with either solution though, as long as we agree on it.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 22:17

I have been considering the proposal of switching to use tiki-wiki as our wiki instead of media-wiki as we are using now. Here are the pros and cons, which I have graded according to how much they benefit/cause problems for us.

Pros graded from 1 small benefit to 10 large benefit.
  • 2 - The gallery is broken in the old wiki, but there is one built into tikiwiki.
  • 1 - The math tag was broken in the old wiki, so we have to redo it whatever we stay with media-wiki or switch to tiki-wiki.
  • 2 - We will have the opportunity to clean-up the wiki, since we have to go through all pages anyway.
  • 1 - The standard user will have a more coherent feeling as both wiki and the simple webpage are are the same place, but forum, downloads, bugtracker and irc are on different web-sites.

Cons graded from 1 small problem to 10 huge problem
  • 10 - Has to go through all the pages of the old wiki to check that they are correct and re-upload pictures, this will probably be at least 100 hours of work :S, I used 2 hour to do 4 pages of the old wiki and I think we have more than 200 pages.
  • 1 - We have to redo the syntax highlighting that we just set up in the old wiki.
  • 1 - We will have to re-setup the embedding of YouTube videos again in the new wiki.
  • 1 - We have to learn a new wiki/CMS system.
  • 4 - Even though the wiki and the new website will be integrated we will still have; wiki, forum, irc, downloads and bugtracker all on seperate webpages that all look different, and there is not much to do about the downloads page, and a forum change is a NO-GO as we will loose allot of users due to inconvenience of having to log-in on yet another forum.

Any other pros and cons that I have missed? For now I would vote against moving the wiki to tiki-wiki, and just use tiki-wiki as a simple webpage for news and linking to the downloads, forums and the current wiki. What do you think?
svenskmand
OD Moderator