Skorpio {l Wrote}:Ewww light text. :eew: :D

imbringingsexyback.png
aw yeah
imbringingsexyback.png (8.4 KiB) Viewed 11637 times
qubodup
Global Moderator

Re: Wiki styling :)

Postby andrewbuck » 07 Mar 2010, 18:37

The OpenDungeons source code doesn't seem to mind being written in light text on a dark background... ;)

-Buck
Attachments
Code.png
OpenDungeons source code screenshot.
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 Mar 2010, 19:02

qubodup {l Wrote}:
Skorpio {l Wrote}:Ewww light text. :eew: :D

imbringingsexyback.png

Yes text should be white on a dark background :)

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:The OpenDungeons source code doesn't seem to mind being written in light text on a dark background... ;)

-Buck

Using a dark colored background is the only way to write code :). I will be posting a new mock shot now, and then I will release the svg and stuff.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 07 Mar 2010, 19:32

svenskmand, can I up your two textures you posted before to http://opengameart.org/ under GPL2/3+/CCBYSA3+? Or would you like to do that yourself even? ;)

Skorpio: your texture should be there too, what do you say?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 Mar 2010, 19:33

Here goes the dark and bright version :)
Attachments
MockBright.png
or the bright side ;)
MockDark.png
Join the Dark side :P
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby xapantu » 07 Mar 2010, 19:35

I prefer the dark one :) !
xapantu

Postby svenskmand » 07 Mar 2010, 19:35

qubodup {l Wrote}:svenskmand, can I up your two textures you posted before to http://opengameart.org/ under GPL2/3+/CCBYSA3+? Or would you like to do that yourself even? ;)

Yes by all means do that. BUT wait until I have published all the content for the wiki-skin here. Then you can upload it afterwards as GPL v3 :). I will notify you when you can upload it :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 Mar 2010, 19:56

xapantu {l Wrote}:List of missing elements :
- bottom/footer of the page
- all form elements (checkbox, button, select...)
- edit, talk...
- First heading title, second, third, fourth ... sixth
- links design
- links hover design
- paragraph: if you want text-indent or not
- summary

Could you give me a size of each graphics element you need in pixels (width, height)? And maybe a screenshot showing where each piece should be placed? Thanks :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 Mar 2010, 19:58

Anybody knows where I can download the GPL v3. in a plain text file?

Edit: Found it :) here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt
Last edited by svenskmand on 07 Mar 2010, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 07 Mar 2010, 20:03

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

You'll have to copy-paste it though. Also I would suggest you do "gpl version 3 or any future version published by the Free Software Foundation" but that is up to you.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 Mar 2010, 20:11

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

You'll have to copy-paste it though. Also I would suggest you do "gpl version 3 or any future version published by the Free Software Foundation" but that is up to you.

-Buck

Ok how should I do that? Right now I was just planning to put a file called LICENSE.txt that contained the GPL v3 in the folder with all my stuff :). Maybe I should remember to put my name in it :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 07 Mar 2010, 20:18

Take a look at the "How to use the GPL" section on the page I linked to. There is a much more thorough discussion there than I can give you. It is important to do it properly so that the license is legally enforcable if you ever need it to be (something I should actually work on for the OD code as well).

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 Mar 2010, 21:23

I think it might be easier to release as Public Domain, else I have to specify each an every file in the license file :(

Any ideas how I should do it? I was planning to make a COPYING.txt file where I state which files are under copyright, and that these files constitute the "source code" in the license, and then state the license-text.

Am I missing something?

qubodup, it sounded like you had experience in this, can you give me a hand here? How would you do it?
Last edited by svenskmand on 07 Mar 2010, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 07 Mar 2010, 21:28

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I think it might be easier to release as Public Domain, else I have to specify each an every file in the license file :(

Just copy and paste from the output of an 'ls' command. That will give you your complete list of everything in the folder.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 Mar 2010, 21:39

Ok, I have now made this file COPYING.txt, that I would include, then it should (hopefully) be fine
Attachments
COPYING.txt
License file
(36.2 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 07 Mar 2010, 21:44

qubodup {l Wrote}:svenskmand, can I up your two textures you posted before to http://opengameart.org/ under GPL2/3+/CCBYSA3+? Or would you like to do that yourself even? ;)

Sure, although it's so simple that I would hardly call it a texture. :)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 Mar 2010, 23:48

xapantu {l Wrote}:List of missing elements :
- bottom/footer of the page
- all form elements (checkbox, button, select...)
- edit, talk...
- First heading title, second, third, fourth ... sixth
- links design
- links hover design
- paragraph: if you want text-indent or not
- summary

Ok Here is the background texture (the rocks), and the mainpage texture (the pergament) and the topBorder and the leftBorder along with the topLeftCorner. Regarding the text colors and hover and stuff I have only decided on the normal text color for now:

Normal text: 192 192 192
Mouse over text:
Visited hyperlink:
Non-existing page hyperlink:
Unvisited hyperlink:

The rest will be filled in later, it is nice to see how it looks along the way, so I do not have to redo all borders and stuff if something is wrong :)

I think you should first only change the wiki we see when we are logged in, so new users that is here for the first time will only see the wiki with the red bricks. (When you lock in you see the white wiki which is also on wikipedia).

Also I would still very much appreciate if you would take a screenshot of the current wiki page an then mark/color each area where there should be a picture, and give me the height and width of the areas. I need that information currently to be able to make the buttons; page, discussion, edit, history, ..., on the top of the wiki.
Attachments
Dark.zip
Borders and textures
(4.83 MiB) Downloaded 338 times
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 08 Mar 2010, 00:48

http://opengameart.org/content/beige-ol ... background :)
imbringingsexyback.png
imbringingsexyback.png (49.37 KiB) Viewed 11602 times

Is attribution all right? (What page do you consider your homepage?) How did you make it by the way? With NeoTexureEditor? Please post source [parameters] if you remember. :)

svenskmand, what licensing have you decided for? :) I would then upload the pergament from the archive and the wall from the forum (it's bigger). By the way, can you provide the parameters (at least approximately) that you used in NeoTextureEdit? They could serve as 'source' :)

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Also I would still very much appreciate if you would take a screenshot of the current wiki page an then mark/color each area where there should be a picture, and give me the height and width of the areas. I need that information currently to be able to make the buttons; page, discussion, edit, history, ..., on the top of the wiki.

I think this is tedious work. I know tools that allow drawing boxes around elements and give some css information about them, but does anybody know a ff plugin that will tell you the absolute height/width of an element you hover the mouse over? that should make this kind of work easier.

EDIT: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/539 seems to be good, can you try it out svenskmand? Does it provide the info you want easily?

xapantu {l Wrote}:I prefer the dark one :) !

for reals? I think it's not very readable... the font might be a hint too dark. (well, on the other hand, the light-bg scheme is not too well readable either. perhaps skorpio's texture would be better suitable or a shift of the texture in a more calm direction.)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 08 Mar 2010, 01:23

qubodup {l Wrote}:Is attribution all right? (What page do you consider your homepage?) How did you make it by the way? With NeoTexureEditor? Please post source [parameters] if you remember. :) ...

Hehe that was Sven's texture, but I painted over it, used the clone brush a lot and also the high pass filter (+ fade luminosity), so that it's not really recognizable anymore.

And I don't have a homepage, so just linking to my profile here is ok.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 08 Mar 2010, 01:53

qubodup {l Wrote}:svenskmand, what licensing have you decided for? :) I would then upload the pergament from the archive and the wall from the forum (it's bigger). By the way, can you provide the parameters (at least approximately) that you used in NeoTextureEdit? They could serve as 'source' :)

GPL v3 and above. I can give you the source tgr files as well as the png's, and normal maps and height maps, if you want. All generated by NeoTextureEdit :). Also if any of you like NeoTextureEdit then please go to the sourceforge page and review/rate the project, it is very nice and I think we will be using to make many textures for OD in the future :)

qubodup {l Wrote}:
svenskmand {l Wrote}:Also I would still very much appreciate if you would take a screenshot of the current wiki page an then mark/color each area where there should be a picture, and give me the height and width of the areas. I need that information currently to be able to make the buttons; page, discussion, edit, history, ..., on the top of the wiki.

I think this is tedious work. I know tools that allow drawing boxes around elements and give some css information about them, but does anybody know a ff plugin that will tell you the absolute height/width of an element you hover the mouse over? that should make this kind of work easier.

EDIT: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/539 seems to be good, can you try it out svenskmand? Does it provide the info you want easily?

I have installed it, but it only allows me to measure stuff on the webpage in pixels, I can do the same thing with a screenshot and GIMP. I wanted to know how pictures where supposed to be cut up to actually fit the structure of the webpage. I think that the manual measuring is necessary, as you normally cannot see where pictures are cut in webpage designs. A image that appears whole can be cut into many many odd shaped pieces. So until now I will wait for xapantu to but up the stuff I have made for him and get him to give me the sizes of the remaining pieces, as I have no idea how the wiki is structure an I have no experience in html and webpage structuring.
qubodup {l Wrote}:
xapantu {l Wrote}:I prefer the dark one :) !

for reals? I think it's not very readable... the font might be a hint too dark. (well, on the other hand, the light-bg scheme is not too well readable either. perhaps skorpio's texture would be better suitable or a shift of the texture in a more calm direction.)

I will be making both the dark and the light version, and I guarantee that both will be perfectly readable :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 08 Mar 2010, 11:36

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I can give you the source tgr files as well as the png's, and normal maps and height maps, if you want. All generated by NeoTextureEdit :).

The tgrs would be enough now that I realize that NTE will run on my desktop. I would generate the maps from the tgrs.

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Also if any of you like NeoTextureEdit then please go to the sourceforge page and review/rate the project, it is very nice and I think we will be using to make many textures for OD in the future :)

Also: https://www.ohloh.net/p/NTE + it seems there are quite some projects https://www.ohloh.net/search?q=procedural+texture but I'm not sure how many of them are usable. Also Blender has procedural textures.. http://www.blender.org/development/rele ... -textures/

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I will be making both the dark and the light version, and I guarantee that both will be perfectly readable :)

Awesome :D
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby xapantu » 09 Mar 2010, 21:10

svenskmand : Oops, I didn't see your replies, I will try to do that in the next days :)
edit : and for titles, I said six title but I think you can only make three or four titles ;)
xapantu

Postby svenskmand » 09 Mar 2010, 21:24

xapantu {l Wrote}:svenskmand : Oops, I didn't see your replies, I will try to do that in the next days :)
edit : and for titles, I said six title but I think you can only make three or four titles ;)

For the titles which fonts are there to choose from?
svenskmand
OD Moderator