The Endless Quest to find Project Team members

The Endless Quest to find Project Team members

Postby Jastiv » 07 Sep 2019, 20:07

So, I was thinking about the endless quest to find project team members. I noticed this new platform mentioned on gamedev.net.
It has some games, but it really hasn't gained much traction.
It reminds me some ways of open hatch, even thought it is different. (indie games and revenue sharing vs open source projects and bug fixes)

https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/696569-rev-sharing-platform-see-crowdsourcerio/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-5413166

I've been thinking about the power dynamics of the relationship. How everyone wants to be designer,, no one wants to implement someone else's design, and things designed by a committee don't have a coherent enough vision to even get started.
Yet, obviously, that doesn't stop every game. Some games are so small one person can do the whole thing. Some games get financed where people are paid money to follow someone else's vision (and this is the whole reason proprietary software took off, because you can pay people to implement someone else's idea, and then hope you can pay back the money it cost to make it later.). Some open source games are basically clones of proprietary games so vision is mostly already done, just the implementation needs to be redone.

I don't really have a solution yet, but I have some ideas kicking around in my head.
Jastiv

Re: The Endless Quest to find Project Team members

Postby fluffrabbit » 07 Sep 2019, 21:25

So you're suggesting a thing and giving an example of another, different, related thing.

I can't speak for the thing because I didn't bother to read it, but it sounds like a reasonable enough idea for proprietary games, whatever it is. For open source, those power dynamics tend to really piss people off who aren't being paid.
fluffrabbit