Where to host nightly builds

Where to host nightly builds

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Jul 2018, 08:24

Hi,

I'd like to ask that where do you host the nightly builds for open source projects?

Currently I use:

• Windows nightly builds: AppVeyor CI --- they expire for 180 days. Probably I can also use it for Linux nightly builds utilizing Windows Subsystem for Linux.
  • Linux nightly builds: none. I use Travis CI for automated build test for Linux and OSX, but the Travis CI doesn't provide artifact hosting feature. (Also I need to figure out how to package Linux binary, see https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8010 :| )
    It looks like that GitLab CI supports artifact hosting --- I think I should set the expire time, otherwise it will be spammed with various versions of nightly builds :think:
  • OSX nightly builds: none. In fact I can't guarantee the resulted binary ran in actual OSX machine, I only know that the source code compiles without error. I don't know how to pack the OSX binary to .dmg, either.

I checked the GitHub release hosting, but it looks like that I need to create a random tag named "nightly build" and overwrite it every time when a new nightly build is available. Or I can create new tag each time when new nightly build is available, but this will spam GitHub with a lot of nightly builds :think:

I also checked bintray for file hosting, but it looks like that files in a version can only be edited within 180 days. So if I create a version named "nightly build" it will become read-only after 180 days. On the other hand if I create a new version for each nightly build the space available will quickly get used up :think:
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Re: Where to host nightly builds

Postby acme_pjz » 16 Jul 2018, 17:40

I decided to try bintray. Now the nightly builds are automatically uploaded to https://bintray.com/acmepjz/meandmyshad ... uild#files . After 180-day period expires, I can change the 'nightly-build' to 'nightly-build-2' as a workaround, then 'nightly-build-3', and so on ;)
acme_pjz

Postby Lyberta » 17 Jul 2018, 09:20

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby acme_pjz » 17 Jul 2018, 10:22

Lyberta {l Wrote}:Are you ok with using proprietary services, especially ones that upload proprietary JavaScript to users' machines?

Please give your suggestions, instead of complain everywhere.

Last but not least, I'm already using Windows, who cares?
acme_pjz

Postby Julius » 17 Jul 2018, 11:06

No expert on this, but maybe the Suse build service would work? https://build.opensuse.org/
Julius
Community Moderator