Composer of 9 Years looking to join the project.

Composer of 9 Years looking to join the project.

Postby RelicofVelxis » 27 Aug 2013, 02:31

Howdy! After looking into the OpenDungeon project for some time and being an avid Dungeon Keeper fan - i thought i would attempt to offer a hand in creating the soundtrack for the game - i'm not sure if you've already got people but i thought it was worth a try.

I go by the name of Velxis or Vorpal and i have been composing and playing piano for 9 years, i've mostly been doing Orchestral/classical music and Ambient horror tracks, and really all i would like is to have some experience in making music for video games.

Here's my sound cloud and you can listen to all the things i've done in the past, i'm very keen to help out.

https://soundcloud.com/relicofvelxis

At the very least, feedback on my music would be nice.

Thanks.
RelicofVelxis

Re: Composer of 9 Years looking to join the project.

Postby paul424 » 28 Aug 2013, 14:40

Yeah , from the logo I recognize you, you have had ad on reddit and link to your cloud, unfortunatly I cannot send invitation to all at r/devclassfields :)
Anyway welcome on board :P ... If you know git try obtaining development branch and compile it . Windows version is pretty old :oops: :x .

Probably we need some ambient to begin with ... current track is too spooky .,...
If any problem compiling a dev version post it, in here, we can try help you if you have any problems .
The >>Crystal Chamber << seems to match the game theme , I would have to add some crystal fields to OD . Are you mainly for shifting your existing tracks or composing for OD from scratch ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby RelicofVelxis » 28 Aug 2013, 18:56

I was thinking of composing from scratch, just to fit to what you need - Ambiance is really one of my strongest points so i'm more than happy to contribute.

If you've already got enough people i'm fine to sit it out though. I'm afraid i don't quite understand what you mean by obtaining the development branch and compiling it, my apologies.
RelicofVelxis

Postby paul424 » 28 Aug 2013, 19:13

Err if you are non-programmer than compile nothing :P .... You can experimentize with music by putting your example snippet into opendungeons/Music and renaming it to "Pal_Zoltan_Illes_OpenDungeons_maintheme.ogg", I could make console command for that ( so you change music play in-game) ... Do you happen to have acces to Linux ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby RelicofVelxis » 29 Aug 2013, 02:38

I'm afraid not, i'm only on Windows 7 here - i'll play around with changing the music and see what fits though - I just downloaded the one from the OpenDungeon's website, is there any other version or something?

Anyway i think i'l be able to do something pretty matching and i can send it your way if i think it's good enough.
RelicofVelxis

Postby paul424 » 29 Aug 2013, 09:46

Well what you run is pretty old , but it can give you the climate of OD . Linux was always the primary env of OD development and making windows version always give us headaches .... The most visible feature is diffrent tiles ( of underground ) outlook in newer version .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 29 Aug 2013, 19:10

Stop scaring him, if you decide you want to license under one of the many open licenses out there, please upload what you feel is right to Open Game Art (and tell us), or just post a link in here if you are just granting us special permission to use your work. Nobody unrelated to code should have to go through the headache of connecting to the SVN (or whatever the correct term is) and even less, have to compile a nightmarish build even for programmers.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 30 Aug 2013, 10:48

yeap, Open Game Art bro ! I forgot about this one :)
paul424
OD Moderator