buttered-peanuts-n-jelly

buttered-peanuts-n-jelly

Postby paul424 » 16 Mar 2013, 01:58

Hey , stop fupping and flapping about Fonts ! Look who I have meet to do some music :
https://soundcloud.com/buttered-peanuts-n-jelly

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hopefully he is finishing composing some track for our game ... I am not music conesour ( errr not an expert ... ) :D , but it resembles me of old console games , where one used Midi-like instrumentation ( hmm maybe FFVII used that too .... and it was quite fun ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: buttered-peanuts-n-jelly

Postby paul424 » 17 Mar 2013, 13:44

Can you just stop to listen over those tracks and stage five of them ? It's just not everyday thing that profesional musician lend us his aid . Stage five tracks and just say what would you modify plus this one is composed for us https://soundcloud.com/buttered-peanuts ... enu-031313
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 17 Mar 2013, 14:17

Sorry, i didnt understand your first post, ill hear them and tell my opinion, basically we need something eerie and creepy
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 17 Mar 2013, 15:51

Im sorry to say, but i didnt find even a single one that i think would fit the dark and eerie nature of OD, all those songs are more fit to be on a retro NES game, too eletrocnical and too cheery.

If needed i can comb OGA and incompetech (have to chech licenses) for some fitting ones and let you guys decide over them.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 17 Mar 2013, 20:18

Well , the track can be cheerful if the player got very well in game... donno what's against NES - style games .... ohh if we have had mini - games or specific task like manual manouver of some creature. We can ACTUALLY ASK FOR CHANGE THE MUSIC TONATION to which we want :)
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 17 Mar 2013, 22:19

can you ask him to make something dark and eerie? something that conveys the feeling of being inside a dark cave with something invisible watching you
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 17 Mar 2013, 23:54

His music is nice, but I don't think it fits to OD. As Danimal said, some darker ambient tracks would fit better. Or maybe really strange musical compositions like distorted mongolian overtone singing mixed with didgeridoo echoes could be interesting. :) And orc drums ... we need orc drums! (something kodo-esque)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 23 Mar 2013, 21:54

I choose among OGA songs the ones i think fit the most, hear them and tell me if you like some of them to be integrated:

http://opengameart.org/content/candidat ... n-dungeons

Any news from peanuts guy?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 23 Mar 2013, 22:58

No news.

This is dark ambient, it might sound feeting game mood , under assumption that half of year creatures just leaved your dungeons , the other half was burned with most of the rooms.

http://opengameart.org/content/theme-of-com-mecha%20Strange , I might have heard that music, maybe Unreal I .... hmm ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby stopbeingsheep » 24 Mar 2013, 17:34

I have managed to log on finally. I know, huge accomplishment. I apologize for the delay in my response and my inability to provide music like I said I would.

Here is my first loop. https://soundcloud.com/bryan_j/oga-ambient-loop-001

I have other ideas to incorporate but I want you to hear the sounds first. Is that going to be the right kind of vibe? I have some other ideas, some might be harder/more rhythmic but I think for this I should provide some of that. For those intense moments when things should feel that way. Basically I want to feature a dirty deep sound, some floating in the air melodic sounds, and dark drone tones behind everything. This example I have provided can be torn up, if you guys don't like it I can make changes.

Sorry it took me so long, I was diagnosed with a concussion and I'm a little loopy.
stopbeingsheep

Postby Skorpio » 25 Mar 2013, 01:06

Welcome to the forum stopbeingsheep. Your ambient track is nice, it still sounds a bit too synthetic, though. Could you try to make it sound a bit more ethereal or natural? Imagine singing demons, or dwarves, or angels playing on fantastical instruments. I hope such sounds are not too difficult to achieve. ;) The ideas that you posted are probably the right way. BTW, we have plans for several factions, some "good", "evil" and mechanical, which could get their own kind of ambient tracks and music, so you have some freedom. :)

Danimal {l Wrote}:I choose among OGA songs the ones i think fit the most, hear them and tell me if you like some of them to be integrated:

http://opengameart.org/content/candidat ... n-dungeons

Any news from peanuts guy?
Thanks for making the list Danimal. Here are my opinions about the tracks:

Dark Electronic ambient, Clearside - perfect
Dark lights - nice but too electronic for OD
Dark Descent - Extended Cut - perfect
Oriented - too much electro and drums
Theme of Com-Mecha - perfect (maybe a bit less drums would be better)
Dark Ambiance - perfect
Mystical Theme - would probably fit better without the drums
Random Gods (Dark and Silent) - perfect (although that repeated "alert" sound at the end gets a bit annoying)
Anger Lonely [3m loop] - perfect
I swear I saw it - background track - too "spacey" for OD imo
Searching - pretty good, I'm not sure, though
EmptyCity: Background Music - good but a bit too synthetic
Shadowdrone - bass is too synthy. The ethereal sound is nice, though.
Temple of the Maker - nice, but doesn't fit imo (better suited for sci-fi)
Dark Fallout - good, but too synthy

I'm leaning more to classical orchestra than electro, but if the rest of the team wants electro I think it could work, too. It would probably give the whole game a different feeling, however, I think it could get too casual. The ambient tracks sound cool, even though they're pretty similar. I think some more strange, unidentifiable sounds would be good additions to them. And I miss a dripping water sound (after all the game takes place in damp caves ;)).

I've already tested "Theme of Com-Mecha" and Cave Theme in-game a while ago and they fit very well.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby stopbeingsheep » 25 Mar 2013, 01:39

Angry Lonely has a vibe I can work with. I can't really do singing things, I'd need to acquire the singing.

What do you mean when you say synthetic? I'm using synths for everything so I'd like to know what I should be avoiding.
stopbeingsheep

Postby Skorpio » 25 Mar 2013, 20:26

I meant it's too obvious that I'm hearing a synthesizer and I'd prefer more natural sounds like wind, water and wild animals, mixed with some kind of undefinable fantasy instruments that don't sound like electronic instruments. ;)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 08 Apr 2013, 19:25

So, im wondering if the songs will be added in game, since its basically just the 3 of us, this kind of decisions shouldnt take so long.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 09 Apr 2013, 16:42

Add them all , at least the users would modifty or disable them in the future .
paul424
OD Moderator