Recording sound effects

Recording sound effects

Postby svenskmand » 06 May 2010, 22:24

I have been on the lookout for a cheap portable digital recorder with a microphone and some flash-ram to store recordings on. So far I have been looking at the Zoom H2, it has great reviews, and the recordings it makes are incredible. It also sees to be semi-professional equipment, and cheap compared to what you get :), although I think that it might be a bit too expensive for the use I have - as I am only planning on using it to record sound effects, and maybe some other sounds for the music, for OpenDungeons. I found it as cheap as 1256 danish kroner which is approximately 214 US dollars.

Anybody having a portable digital recorder/microphone with flash-ram, which is cheap and have good sound quality? If so please post links here :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Re: Recording sound effects

Postby qubodup » 17 May 2010, 18:49

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Anybody having a portable digital recorder/microphone with flash-ram, which is cheap and have good sound quality? If so please post links here :)

The H2 is what I got (for 200EUR). Here are most of my recordings.
I bought it from Thormann. Perhaps the H1 is fine too. I think you will have to get batteries/recharger.

PS: this is a kind of question I have seen more than once on freesound forums, you should hang around on http://www.freesound.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 a little ;)

PPS: why not use the general assets section of this forum for general questions like this? :P
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 17 May 2010, 23:03

qubodup {l Wrote}:
svenskmand {l Wrote}:Anybody having a portable digital recorder/microphone with flash-ram, which is cheap and have good sound quality? If so please post links here :)

The H2 is what I got (for 200EUR). Here are most of my recordings.
I bought it from Thormann. Perhaps the H1 is fine too. I think you will have to get batteries/recharger.

You mean Thomann?, I take it then that you will vouch for their service then? How often do you use it?
qubodup {l Wrote}:PS: this is a kind of question I have seen more than once on freesound forums, you should hang around on http://www.freesound.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 a little ;)

PPS: why not use the general assets section of this forum for general questions like this? :P

Yes maybe that is a good ide, but I also wanted to discuss it with the OD community, preferably the thread would be in both forums. But yes maybe I should post there the next time :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 29 Jun 2010, 21:42

Today I just saw the list of requested sound-effects, so I have decided that it is time to get the Zoom H2, so we can get some nice sounds in OD :), this will be very fun :) I remember making a stop motion movie once (only a short one like 5 mins) where we recorded soundeffects and added them, it was funny :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 30 Jun 2010, 23:41

I am now the happy owner of the Zoom H2, and will be making allot of sound effects for the game :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby VinWij » 02 Jul 2010, 09:35

Can't wait to hear some results. Sounds are often added too late in a game, and they form an important part of the atmosphere. The H2 looks like a fine device :)
VinWij

Postby svenskmand » 02 Jul 2010, 10:14

I have already made one recording of sword hits :), see the Sound effects list-thread and the Plan for sound effects-thread :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator