Music

Re: Music

Postby svenskmand » 12 Jun 2010, 15:34

I have just bought the Yamaha PSR-E423 to hook up with Ubuntu throught USB to make some music, and it is awesome :) Just plug and play, it works with Ubuntu straight out of the box :) Next thing I will buy is the Zoom H2 portable microphone to make sound effects with :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Deflektor » 12 Jun 2010, 17:43

Well, i don't mind working under CC-BY-SA license, but i don't see what difference there is exactly between them.
Deflektor

Postby svenskmand » 12 Jun 2010, 20:49

Deflektor {l Wrote}:Well, i don't mind working under CC-BY-SA license

Nice :)
Deflektor {l Wrote}:... but i don't see what difference there is exactly between them.

You cannot use any part of content licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA in any commercial way you can think of. So as Andrew talked about then this would for example prohibit that we have servers running which are sponsored by say commercials, if any part of OpenDungeons is used in these commercials. But ask Andrew he knows more about this. But the bottom line is that the NC-clause will easily be a nuisance for the game in the long run.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 12 Jun 2010, 21:55

Yeah, I'm not an expert on the CC licenses but the GPL explicitly allows for commercial re-use of the work and it is my understanding that the CC-SA license is basically the closest. The CC-BY-SA license requires attribution and this is no problem, but I think the non-commercial clause is something we should leave out if possible. Anyway, I'm glad to hear this is no problem for you and look forward to hearing what else you can do (my musical abilities are pretty poor, so its good to see some contributions in this area). Hopefully I will get the audio working in the game working fairly soon so we can start making use of your songs.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Deflektor » 12 Jun 2010, 23:17

Alright. So basically, any piece i would create would be exclusively used for OpenDungeons, right ?

Anyways, just tell me what you need me to do. Please give me as much information as possible, that would help me in creating better music.
Deflektor

Postby Skorpio » 01 Sep 2010, 17:09

Now I've made some music ... which is not really suited for OD. ;) Maybe the STK guys want to use it in their game?
Attachments
Cruisin in the rain.ogg
(2.63 MiB) Downloaded 479 times
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 01 Sep 2010, 18:34

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Now I've made some music ... which is not really suited for OD. ;)

Agreed :)
Skorpio {l Wrote}:Maybe the STK guys want to use it in their game?

Maybe :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby chaorace » 03 Sep 2010, 01:45

It's always great to jump around the forums to see what the other game developers think about other games, STK guys? funny! I might as well try this game too (this forum is full of great games!)
chaorace

Postby svenskmand » 19 Oct 2010, 12:33

chaorace {l Wrote}:It's always great to jump around the forums to see what the other game developers think about other games, STK guys? funny! I might as well try this game too (this forum is full of great games!)

Indeed :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 19 Oct 2010, 13:11

Hey Svenskmand have you recorded any new sounds yet?
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 19 Oct 2010, 17:56

Not yet, but I still have recordings for two sounds more, which I need to mix/compose to get the final sound effects. I can try an finish them up today. Then I can work on finding more stuff to record, is your suggestions from this post prioritized? what is you top 3 most wanted sounds? Then I will concentrate on making them next :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 19 Oct 2010, 18:51

svenskmand {l Wrote}: is your suggestions from this post prioritized? what is you top 3 most wanted sounds? Then I will concentrate on making them next :)

No, it's more or less a random list. I think the most important sounds are battle sounds, footsteps and of course farts. :D
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 19 Oct 2010, 19:45

Ok then I will make a footstep sound on rocks and one on water, and a farting sound as I have already made battle sounds :)

But first I will finish up the sword draw and sword block sounds which I have already material for.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 04 Nov 2010, 21:31

Since I am working on implementing sound (using OgreOggSound), I was wondering how people think music should be done. Should music be tied to maps? Or faction/race? Or should there just be a list of different songs that will play regardless of what map and faction/race the player is.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 04 Nov 2010, 23:26

I hope we could have some sort of dynamic music, which change if you are attacked or if you are building and so on. But it is pretty hard to do right, so I will suggest that we just use music playing in the back. We could customize it according to faction thought :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 04 Nov 2010, 23:56

Okay. Seeing as factions aren't very implemented yet, ill just use the same music for everyone for now (do we have any music that can be used yet?). Dynamic music could be possible at some point in the future, but there are other things that are more important at the moment.
oln

Postby KroArtem » 05 Nov 2010, 08:44

You may use lots of music from OpenGameArt ;)
KroArtem

Postby svenskmand » 05 Nov 2010, 09:50

For now OpenGameArt or Jamendo should be our choice. We do not have any music specific for OpenDungeons yet.

oln {l Wrote}:... I am working on implementing sound (using OgreOggSound) ...

Very nice :), then we will finally have some sound, using OpenAL :) Here is the feature list of OgreOggSound :) and from that feature list it seems like a very complete wrapper around OpenAL :)

When we have some sound working we should also post in the developers forum to show that OgreOggSound is used by us :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 09 Nov 2010, 17:32

I now have music in the game. Currently just plays whatever is found in the folders listed in the resource file as Music. Haven't commited it yet though, as this is adding OgreOggSound (svn version) and some libs which it uses as dependencies, so the CMake-scripts needs to be updated (which I'm still a newbie at).
oln

Postby svenskmand » 09 Nov 2010, 18:50

Very nice, music is a good start :)

And Vorbis in a Ogg container is the format of choice also :) When sound is relevant I have some sound effects on this forum, and I can make more by request.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 09 Nov 2010, 19:08

Yea, OOs can only use WAVE and Ogg Vorbis files currently, though it would still be preferable to keep originals around in .flac format.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 09 Nov 2010, 21:30

All the originals will be in flac in the repository. But I would also like to keep the source files (that is the Audacity project files) around, by right now they are a extreme 300 MiB for only 4 sound effects, and I fear that SourceForge would not like us putting in several GiBs of sound data (which I quickly becomes) in the SVN repo :(
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 10 Nov 2010, 18:40

I have recorded the sounds in stereo, but I assume that OgreOggSound uses mono sounds right? Then I will convert my stuff into mono.

Ok I calculated wrongly, I also took into account the raw recordsings I have made which should not be put into the repo, only the final edited ones. Which takes approximately 20 MiB for each sound-effect, that means that I have 86 MiB right now. Should I uploaded it then? I think we will at most end up having 1-2 GiB when everything is finished for the game.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 10 Nov 2010, 22:56

Music should be in stereo (obviously). Effects that are to be positioned will have to be in mono as OpenAL only does positional audio with mono sounds. Effects that are not positioned, e.g buttons, the "keeper sounds" (if we have that) etc. can be in stereo.
oln