Keeper sounds

Keeper sounds

Postby oln » 17 Jan 2011, 21:49

Was thinking about making some keeper sounds (e.g "Not enough gold").
What kind of voices should the different races have?
oln

Re: Keeper sounds

Postby svenskmand » 17 Jan 2011, 22:31

I think that the corpars should have a voice similary to the voices in DK. The humans should have a royal proud voice. The undead a dry and dark voice, inspiration could be taken from the Warcraft 3 cinematics. The elves should sound similary to the story telling voice in Lord of the rings, where there is elven scenes, e.g. the scene in the first movie at the beginning where the rings are forged. I do not know about the construcst and mercenaries yet.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 17 Jan 2011, 23:51

Did two attempts. As they probably have to be refined, please comment. (May have to work on the accent a bit)
undead.ogg
(35.42 KiB) Downloaded 484 times

human.ogg
(34.56 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
oln

Postby svenskmand » 18 Jan 2011, 13:06

The undead one is pretty good, and with some filters/effects applied I think it will be pretty good :), could you post the raw wav file also? The human one is also okay, but I think you are overdoing the snobbish a bit too much, else it is pretty good, also maybe add some more stress to the voice you are after all under attack ;)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 18 Jan 2011, 13:13

Will upload flacs when i get home this evening.
What sort of filters do you suggest for the undead one? It is slightly EQed to be more bassy, may test with a different mic though which picks up more low end.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 18 Jan 2011, 13:23

Phasers, and maybe some other stuff, I will see what I can find on a google search for voice effects :) Then I will post some try outs :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 18 Jan 2011, 19:19

"raw files"
undead.flac
(123.22 KiB) Downloaded 469 times

human.flac
(111.12 KiB) Downloaded 470 times

Did some tests with filters on the undead one, maybe something like this:
undead_filter.flac
(117.39 KiB) Downloaded 471 times

EDIT - Or maybe this:
undead_filter2.flac
(137.73 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
oln

Postby svenskmand » 18 Jan 2011, 22:40

I like both the filter versions, but I think I like the undead_filter.flac best :)

What mic are you using? There is some background noise/buzzing near the end in the undead file :(
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 19 Jan 2011, 03:22

Yea, I didn't make an effort to avoid noise, was just testing. (Actually I think it's from my computer fan.)
I have some old Luxor condenser camera mic which I used here, and a behringer xm8500.
Though if I need it, I can borrow some more fancy stuff at school.
oln

Postby Skorpio » 19 Jan 2011, 13:27

The undead voice sounds pretty good, maybe a tad too slow, but the human voice is too forced. You shouldn't try to disguise your voice, that sounds funny. Better speak with your normal voice and modify the sound later. And you need to play act a little bit as if you were hectic and alarmed.

Also I think the humans shouldn't call their men "creatures". ;)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 19 Jan 2011, 13:55

Good point about "creatures." Maybe something like troops instead then :p
oln

Postby andrewbuck » 19 Jan 2011, 17:11

Minions would be more fitting, although that is what the original DK series used so we may or may not want to use that. I'm not sure.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 19 Jan 2011, 21:02

Skorpio {l Wrote}:The undead voice sounds pretty good, maybe a tad too slow, but the human voice is too forced. You shouldn't try to disguise your voice, that sounds funny. Better speak with your normal voice and modify the sound later. And you need to play act a little bit as if you were hectic and alarmed.

Also I think the humans shouldn't call their men "creatures". ;)

True.
andrewbuck {l Wrote}:Minions would be more fitting, although that is what the original DK series used so we may or may not want to use that. I'm not sure.

-Buck

Minions is good, it should not be a problem with DK, minions is so general.

oln {l Wrote}:Yea, I didn't make an effort to avoid noise, was just testing. (Actually I think it's from my computer fan.)
I have some old Luxor condenser camera mic which I used here, and a behringer xm8500.
Though if I need it, I can borrow some more fancy stuff at school.

The Behringer looks pretty professional, but I would not recommend you to connect any mic directly to your computer as a computer is the worst source of noise. But if you have equipment like that I guess you also have some sort of ADC to plug into the computer through usb, coax or toslink. But use the best equipment you have available :)

I can strongly recommend the Zoom H2, which I use, it records in awesome quality and is very portable for field recordings and such. It also comes with allot of accessories like a stand, holder, windscreen, cables and memory card. It also works as a sound card on all platforms (plug and play, no drivers needed).

Another idea if one already owns an ipod is a Blue Mikey.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 19 Jan 2011, 23:16

svenskmand {l Wrote}:The Behringer looks pretty professional, but I would not recommend you to connect any mic directly to your computer as a computer is the worst source of noise. But if you have equipment like that I guess you also have some sort of ADC to plug into the computer through usb, coax or toslink. But use the best equipment you have available :)

I can strongly recommend the Zoom H2, which I use, it records in awesome quality and is very portable for field recordings and such. It also comes with allot of accessories like a stand, holder, windscreen, cables and memory card. It also works as a sound card on all platforms (plug and play, no drivers needed).

I have an usb sound-card, though I need to get a preamp if i'm going to use it for serious recording.
I know the zooms are good, I can borrow a Zoom H4n at school if needed.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 20 Jan 2011, 00:15

Ok, nice :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator