Bounties for game art development

Bounties for game art development

Postby andrewbuck » 24 Dec 2010, 20:47

I have decided that in order to help further develop the OpenDungeons project I would like to offer bounties for game art development. I have been following the bitcoin project for a while now and have been trying to think of ways to use it with with the OpenDungeons project. I have decided that the best way to do this is to use the bitcoins I have accumulated (about 200) to form the initial contribution to a pool for the development of game assets. For the last month or so coins have been trading on the exchanges pretty stably for around $0.25 per coin so the 200 coins I am putting in are currently worth about $50. To begin with I will be offering bounties on models because I think they are the easiest to set amounts for. If others want to offer bounties of their own for other assets, sounds, textures, etc, or if you think of a good way to set reward amounts for these assets I would consider extending the offer to include them as well.

If you want to submit models to the project to claim a bounty you can either post the .blend file directly, or if you prefer several renderings of the model to show that it meets the requirements. Once I receive the final .blend file you will receive your bitcoins to do with as you please. From there you can either transfer them to someone else, or exchange them for USD or rubles on the exchanges. Of course if you still want to contribute models directly to the project that is still appreciated, and for those who would prefer it I can donate your bounty reward to the Open Game Art project on your behalf. Open Game Art is currently using donations for the same purpose, to buy art assets from professional artists.

I will continue to edit this first thread post with the current balance of the account available to pay people with, as well as the current offers. If you are interested in working on any of these tasks please make a post below so I don't end up running out of coins and being unable to pay people who have made models. Payments will be made when the .blend files are received here on the forum or posted to Open Game Art. The models must be of things listed on the wiki or as needed or you can make a post here asking if the models you plan to make would be acceptable. Also, the model must be released under the licensing terms of the project and must be new work made specifically for us, rewards will not be paid for existing models already posted elsewhere under free licenses since the goal of this is to create new content. I realize the reward amounts listed are not that high and may offer more for very professional models, the main goal of this bounty project is just to get starting quality models for numerous creatures, etc. Hopefully this experiment will be successful and we will get some more good models.

-----------------------

Current balance: 200 bitcoins (btc) + 50 dollars

20 btc - A 3d mesh for any of the creatures listed on the wiki.

10 btc - Adding a skeleton to one of the existing models or as a bonus payment if you submit a new model with a skeleton.

20 btc - For skeletal animations for a model (must implement an animation for each of: Walk, Idle, Attack1, Die, and Sleep).
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Re: Bounties for game art development

Postby svenskmand » 25 Dec 2010, 18:37

Nice I dea, I could contribute some money to the pot, who do I do this?

Let me rephrase this: If this gets a success and all of your 50 USD gets used then I will throw in an additional 50 USD into the pot. That way if people help and spend the pot it will be filled again :)

By the way I wish you all a Merry Christmas :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 25 Dec 2010, 19:30

Glad to hear you are interested, do you have any bitcoins now or would you be willing to get them if necessary. If not that is fine too I just want to know the exact status of what is available so I can update the main post to keep it current. The reason I ask is that I already hold the 200 bitcoins listed above and their value may increase/decrease before they are actually claimed. If we have both cash available to buy coins in the future as well as a holding of coins I think that could be a good mix since the price could change.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 26 Dec 2010, 13:34

I do not have any coins, nor do I know how to get them. But I will gladly put in 50 USD for this cause :) So just let me know when they are needed :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 20 Jan 2011, 23:50

I made a post about this idea in the bitcoin forums a while back and now am getting some responses to that (see here). So far there is this page of models on offer (most of which are rigged/animated), I think these might be useful for the game Azura, Priest, Simorgh, Totem, Mythmaker.

Assuming the details could be worked out I would be willing to buy 1 or 2 of these for use in OD. I don't want to buy them though if the rest of you don't think we need/want them for whatever reason. Also, I don't know which ones I would get, I listed them roughly in order of how useful they would be but I would be fine with any of them. The priest probably makes the most sense if we want to develop the humans faction a bit more, but the Azura looks pretty cool as well and is quite a bit different from anything we currently have so it shakes things up a bit more. The simorgh is quite nice and fits nicely and would be at the top of the list although we already have a basic dragon (also the simorgh has no skeleton, we may be able to adapt the one from our dragon easily enough but this is another consideration). It is different enough that you could tell them apart so we could use it for a second creature as well. The totem might work as just a random object that sits in the dungeon, or for part of a room. The mythmaker is a very nice model, I think it is probably closest to the constructs or mercenaries if we were to use it but I am not sure if it would fit in with the creatures we were thinking about.

Anyway, let me know what, if anything, we should get and I will try to make it happen.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 21 Jan 2011, 01:13

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:I made a post about this idea in the bitcoin forums a while back and now am getting some responses to that (see here). So far there is this page of models on offer (most of which are rigged/animated), I think these might be useful for the game Azura, Priest, Simorgh, Totem, Mythmaker.

I do not think any of these suite our game, and they are not really worth the money. I do not think we should look for professional modelers who only does it for profit, as they are really expensive. We should instead hope for modelers that want to contribute and where the extra 50 bucks make them decide to go for it. Only the simorgh looks like it could fit, but we already have a very nice dragon by Skorpio, and also the simorgh is neither animated/rigged nor does it have a texture (it seems).
andrewbuck {l Wrote}:Assuming the details could be worked out I would be willing to buy 1 or 2 of these for use in OD. I don't want to buy them though if the rest of you don't think we need/want them for whatever reason. Also, I don't know which ones I would get, I listed them roughly in order of how useful they would be but I would be fine with any of them. The priest probably makes the most sense if we want to develop the humans faction a bit more, but the Azura looks pretty cool as well and is quite a bit different from anything we currently have so it shakes things up a bit more. The simorgh is quite nice and fits nicely and would be at the top of the list although we already have a basic dragon (also the simorgh has no skeleton, we may be able to adapt the one from our dragon easily enough but this is another consideration). It is different enough that you could tell them apart so we could use it for a second creature as well. The totem might work as just a random object that sits in the dungeon, or for part of a room. The mythmaker is a very nice model, I think it is probably closest to the constructs or mercenaries if we were to use it but I am not sure if it would fit in with the creatures we were thinking about.

Anyway, let me know what, if anything, we should get and I will try to make it happen.

-Buck

I say; no go, on this one.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 21 Jan 2011, 07:43

I don't think any of those models where custom made for OD and thus not really applicable for the bounty :\
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 21 Jan 2011, 12:56

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:I don't think any of those models where custom made for OD and thus not really applicable for the bounty :\

Agreed
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 21 Jan 2011, 12:57

svenskmand {l Wrote}:
TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:I don't think any of those models where custom made for OD and thus not really applicable for the bounty :\

Agreed

+1
oln

Postby Skorpio » 21 Jan 2011, 15:16

I also think we shouldn't acquire random art from the internet. I especially don't want to use models that already appear in other games, except some props like the bed for example.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 21 Jan 2011, 15:35

Skorpio {l Wrote}:I also think we shouldn't acquire random art from the internet. I especially don't want to use models that already appear in other games, except some props like the bed for example.

Also agreed :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 21 Jan 2011, 17:40

Ok, I'll post a message on the other forum to let them know your decision. I agree it is a lot better if we build all of the content for the game specifically.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 21 Jan 2011, 18:20

I don't quite agree; I think encouraging a culture of sharing and collaboration is beneficial for everyone and while one doesn't want to all-out reuse every single model in a game a well measured amount of models can be reused and adapted without looking out of place. Furthermore, limiting our content from being reused goes against that goal/ideal and not in the best interest in FOSS game development
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 21 Jan 2011, 18:47

Well we can of course reuse if it fits. And regarding the adaptation of existing models I do not really know how doable that is, e.g. we had a very nice skeleton model, but Skorpio said it had to many polygons and it would be easier to redo it than to use the model (correct me if I am wrong Skorpio). So reuse is pretty hard to do, but definitely not out of the picture, I would say.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 21 Jan 2011, 19:21

Retopology is hard, but re-texturing + slight modifications to the mesh isn't so hard. For example, if the texture is too cartoony but the mesh is sufficiently detailed one can redo the texture and save having to make, rig and animate a model which is quite an amount of work...
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 21 Jan 2011, 19:39

That is what interested me most about those models. Most of them have skeletons and animations, so even if we did quite a bit of work to the mesh/texture we get more creatures we can see walking around/fighting in the game which makes it easier to experiment with AI routines, creature HP and damage, animation speeds, and sound effects.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 21 Jan 2011, 19:51

If that is what you want, then why not just take some random rigged models from OGA and use as placeholders?

A Ghoul like creature which might actually fit with the Undead with a little customization (it has 1520 faces, but for testing I guess it will work) :) http://opengameart.org/content/night-demon

Others (but too hight polycount around 2000 faces)
http://opengameart.org/content/undead-male
http://opengameart.org/content/goth-female-fleur-du-mal (I do not know if this is rigged)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 22 Jan 2011, 01:00

i think the one you mention is good for a zombie but this one:
http://opengameart.org/content/ghoul-0 is better for ghoul
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 22 Jan 2011, 01:02

Heh that one is made specific for OD :) (see it here), so no wonder :) It still need some work though :) But I only mentioned the other one since it is already rigged, so it should be easy to put it into the game.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Zee masta » 27 Jan 2011, 01:54

Hi guys Iv been watching your project for a bit, its developing fast.
And got a model that might be useful as a Construct creature...
Its not rigged yet and texture need to be finish off, but it wont take me long.
And its not for bounty just for fun
Attachments
Roboworker3.png
Zee masta

Postby qubodup » 27 Jan 2011, 10:00

@zee masta: nice :) makes me nostalgically remember Thief 2 and System Shock and some crappy star wars droids game I played a decade ago..

I imagine this one might have interesting animations. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 28 Jan 2011, 17:55

That looks nice, but I'm afraid it's not the right style for the constructs. It looks a bit too technical and we want them to look magical. ;)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 28 Jan 2011, 18:27

I don't know a lot about graphics, but isn't it easy (for someone knowing about graphics) to take an existing models and add some "glowing blobs"? I think this model is (ignoring the still missing magic) a very good constuct what I could imagine seeing in the game.
StefanP.MUC

Postby Skorpio » 28 Jan 2011, 18:45

In Blender it's pretty easy to add some glow, but I'm not sure how we will do that in OGRE. Probably with particles. As for the model, I think it looks too much like a robot or like a droid from Star Wars as qubodup mentioned. But maybe some parts could be changed. I would remove the head and open the torso so that you can see the soulstone.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 28 Jan 2011, 18:51

Oh, I always thought glowing effects and such are part of the model? What's the difference between adding it to the model in blender or letting it render by the engine? Any performance or even visible differences?
StefanP.MUC