Simple models

Re: Simple models

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Oct 2014, 07:28

Wonderful! I'll fix the colors in a few hours.

Made two more models.

Chain-hanging bed (1x2) for any kind of a rude humanoid.
Texture is my photo (colored in GIMP) of a monument texture in Kyiv (CC0)
Chain_hanging_bed.jpg

Fang-like bed (1x1) maybe for some stone monster like stone golem.
Texture is my photo (colored in GIMP) of a pavement texture in Kyiv (CC0)
Fang_bed.jpg
Attachments
Fang_bed.zip
(2.94 MiB) Downloaded 323 times
Chain_hanging_bed.zip
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 310 times
eugeneloza

Postby hwoarangmy » 03 Oct 2014, 09:23

wow, you like modeling beds :)
I like the 2 last. My minions thank you very much for the hard time they will have sleeping ;)
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 09:27

hanging bed is nice, it will probalably go to the lizardman with a bit of an aztect theme; but fang bed is not very good... in fact it could go well with something totally different, give the spires a obsidian texture, the base a obsidian but bricked texture; i see a small platform risen, rise it equally from all sides, and in the middle of that platform put a summoning circle; and it becomes a bed for a small demonic creature :cool:

If you want to try and do an organic bed i had a concept you migth find useful; look below, that is the bed i had planned for the necrofage, think of an opened ribcage with flesh still bettween the ribs.(please ignore my paint skillz)

Please dont mind the download count of your models, i just started working this week on a new company so i wont have time to get them ingame until this weekend :)
Attachments
Flesh bed.png
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Oct 2014, 09:55

Ok, I'll re-make the 'fang' model, as soon as I have time (maybe in a few hours).

I'm afraid I can't see the 'organic bed' image. Just blank space.
I had some more ideas:
Ideas.jpg

these are:
A bed similar to a low-class train or a prison bed (or alpinist bed in picture)
A nest
A sleeping bag
A cage (rather rectagonal than peat-shaped in the picture)
A basket-like bed
A wooden-fence bed
A hollow in a tree stump
And another one, not in the picture: a handle-like sitting place for an eagle/hornet

Remaking:
Spider bed (make it horizontal)
Orc bed (change texture)
Fang bed (change model & texture)

Please dont mind the download count of your models

That's ok! Maybe I should discern the 'draft' and 'final' models so that it'd be obvious which should be downloaded? E.g. uploading model only after it's screenshot is 'ok'.
wow, you like modeling beds

I'm just learning to blender :). At this points beds are very suitable for this as their construction is rather simple.
And I'm very glad that during this I can make some usable product. So feel free to give any critics and advice.

UPD: Now I see the image of organic bed. That should not be hard to make. I'll download it into the 'ideas'.
eugeneloza

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 10:06

i uploaded the pic, those are good bed ideas; please dont redo the spider bed, its very good as it is, i like it more than a horizontal one
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Oct 2014, 10:59

Remake of 'fang-bed'
Didn't find any obsidian at opengameart. Made some by GIMP: clouds+fractal explorer (CC0)
Two unwrapping variants.
Fang_bed_new_two.jpg
Attachments
Fang_bed_new.tar.gz
(548.66 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
eugeneloza

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 11:37

http://nobiax.deviantart.com/art/Free-3 ... -193801226
you will come to love this guy textures
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Oct 2014, 11:48

Yes, the textures look awesome! I'll give them a try. However, I can't find the license for them (still new to all this stuff)... 'Absolutly free to use' seems too ambiguous to me.

Re-textured orc bed:
Black and brown variants
Using wooly-sheep-tt7030002 by p0ss from opengameart with CC-BY-SA 3.0 and GPL 2.0 processed by GIMP
Do_not_disturb_new.jpg
Attachments
Do_not_disturb_new.tar.gz
(748.3 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
eugeneloza

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 11:59

nice, all textures from nobiax/yugheus are CC0 , totally free to use and abuse
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Oct 2014, 13:34

CC0 - Wow! Wonderful! I'm putting together a collection of textures I may use without having to track back all the licensing stuff (so, basically its CC0 as far as I understand it) and of high quality, so these would be just a perfect addition.

Backbone bed.
Yet untextured.
587 faces :(
Backbone_test.jpg
eugeneloza

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 14:30

Eugeneloza, i would give you tips and make corrections on your models, please dont feel insulted or forced to follow them, each person has his own way of doing things, if you think something is wrong please tell me, i do fail from time to time.

So here is what i did to "Hammock":

ill with start the texture, yours was good, but given the thematic and style we need something darker and more realist, so i darkened the wood texture and replaced the woven cloth with a realist texture
Also if you are going to use an alpha, eliminate halos on a program like gimp or photoshop

Effects like mirror and the like are good inside blender, but thats it, before giving a model for finished apply all of them, always have a copy of them un-applied in other layer for safekeeping.
Check for flipped normals, in the visualization modes (wireframe, solid...) choose texture and see if there is any hole, normally "recalculating outside normals " is enougth, ogre3d doesnt like alphas/transparencies so ill duplicate the cloth mesh and flip its nomals, other engines dont have problems with it, but ogre3d does, the ropes will also be duplicated.
Try to join all meshes into one, it will make things cleaner on the long run (less objects to manipulate)
In the material settings set specular to 0 for all objects that are not supposed to reflect ligth.

And this the final result
Attachments
untitled.png
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 14:32

you dont need to make the intenal crest in the vertebrae, maybe extruding and resizing an octogon would give a better result?

Please can anyone upload this model? its tested and working

Mesh by eugeneloza CC0, textures by Luke.RUSTLTD and Nobiax CC0
Attachments
Hammock.zip
(437.82 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 03 Oct 2014, 15:01

Ok, for testing purpose, whose bed will it be for?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 15:02

adventurer for now
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 03 Oct 2014, 15:06

Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 03 Oct 2014, 15:16

CC0 - Wow! Wonderful! I'm putting together a collection of textures I may use without having to track back all the licensing stuff (so, basically its CC0 as far as I understand it) and of high quality, so these would be just a perfect addition.

I may be the joy killer here, but I'll request the texture source if you have it when adding a model to the game. This will prevents us to later have bad surprise. ;)
So you could keep up most of your links, I'd very so happy. :D
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 22:37

Eugeneloza, why dont you upload your models to Open Game Art? that way you get a bit of fame and safe online backup copy
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 06 Oct 2014, 07:35

Several more models from the weekend :)
(I'll answer the previous posts soon, now just copy-paste description of models)

Yoga bed (1x2).
Hmmm... I wonder if there is a monster practising yoga?
Texture is my photo (CC0)

Bath bed (1x2).
Maybe too funny, but might be useful for an aquatic creature.
Texture is my photo (CC0) for the bath and GIMP/clouds (CC0) for water

Mushroom circle bed (1x1).
For a fairy creature (like a fairy or a will-o-wisp).
There are two variants: with full caps and "cut" with only top surface of the caps (I doubt if anybody would ever look under it).
Texture is a polar-coordinated and colorized fractal in GIMP (CC0)

Spiked circle bed (1x1).
Actually I thought more of a ice-spiked bed, so the texture is rather blue/cyan.
Will do for any kind frost creature or any other monster.
Texture is my photo (CC0)

Train/prison/alpinist bed (1x1 but may be scaled to 1x2).
For any kind of monster/humanoid.
Texture for the rack is the same as in chain-hanging bed / my photo (CC0).
Texture for the mattress is my photo (CC0). Maybe something more fine-detailed than my old pullover should be here :)?

Tachanka bed (1x1.5 but scalable from 1x1 to 1x2).
Tachanka is rather a bench, often used among Slavic people. However, it was used for a bed rarely. Will be suitable for any kind of monster, preferably a woody one.
Three textures are my photos of wood (CC0).

Bath-Mushroom-Spiked-Tachanka-Train-Yoga.jpg
Attachments
Bath-Mushroom-Spiked-Tachanka-Train-Yoga.zip
(9.71 MiB) Downloaded 327 times
eugeneloza

Postby eugeneloza » 06 Oct 2014, 09:27

Eugeneloza, i would give you tips and make corrections on your models, please dont feel insulted or forced to follow them

I am very grateful for every hint and advice. 'Cause I'm just learning and therefore any experience is very valuable :D .
given the thematic and style we need something darker and more realist, so i darkened the wood texture and replaced the woven cloth with a realist texture
Also if you are going to use an alpha, eliminate halos on a program like gimp or photoshop

Ok. Got it. I'll try to do the same. Maybe I should re-texture the previous models I've uploaded?
before giving a model for finished apply all of them .... always have a copy of them un-applied in other layer for safekeeping.

Try to join all meshes into one, it will make things cleaner on the long run (less objects to manipulate)

Didn't think of layers... That would be a perfect idea. I've been keeping un-applied modifiers in case I'd need to change something.
I have a corresponding question: should I also join all the textures? Some models use more than 1 texture file.
Check for flipped normals, in the visualization modes (wireframe, solid...) choose texture and see if there is any hole, normally "recalculating outside normals " is enougth, ogre3d doesnt like alphas/transparencies so ill duplicate the cloth mesh and flip its nomals, other engines dont have problems with it, but ogre3d does, the ropes will also be duplicated.

I didn't work with normals yet. I'll try to pay attention to them as soon as possible.
why dont you upload your models to Open Game Art? that way you get a bit of fame and safe online backup copy

I thought of this, but I don't yet know if my models "qualify". I.e. I'd like to take all available advices in account before uploading them.
I may be the joy killer here, but I'll request the texture source if you have it when adding a model to the game. This will prevents us to later have bad surprise. ;)
So you could keep up most of your links, I'd very so happy.

Definately. I keep the link (texturename-author-site-license) in the filename and report on any textures/etc I use.
I'm just thinking of my own game 'Decoherence' which would require a lot of 3d models/textures and I've meant that I'd prefer to deal with simple CC0 license than to have different licenses for different textures, including license agreements, and denoting/keeping track of all the authors in some license-specific way other than just mentioning them in filename and some general 'thank-you' statement. However, I'm a newbie to all this legal stuff, so maybe I just overcomplicate or oversimplify the matters...

you dont need to make the intenal crest in the vertebrae, maybe extruding and resizing an octogon would give a better result?

That's the way I followed - extruded and resized a cube (deformed later in octagon shape)... But, I'll try to simplify the construction as soon as I have some time.
eugeneloza

Postby Danimal » 06 Oct 2014, 10:23

Those are pretty nice :)

should I also join all the textures? Some models use more than 1 texture file.

Its the best practice, its very time consuming and even annoying, but one texture per model is canon. You can have multiple textures per model, but you yourself will see the chaos your model/texture folder becomes after a few of those. It also makes easier to create ambient oclusion and normal maps from them.
Currently OD is having trouble with normal maps, thats why we arent doing any, and this models wont benefit much from an ambient oclusion given their small size.

I thought of this, but I don't yet know if my models "qualify". I.e. I'd like to take all available advices in account before uploading them.

Make a big pack with everything you alredy have and call it something like "Monster-beds Release 1", if you arent confident on their individual quality, a joint release is a good choice. Its also a good idea, since these models are very simple and a lot of them would clotter the main-page, and the other artist dont like that. ;)

I'm just thinking of my own game 'Decoherence'

What will it be about?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 06 Oct 2014, 11:14

Found a ready&textrured 'Bedroll' (CC0) with a tent (tent may also be used for a bed)
http://opengameart.org/content/tent-pack
What will it be about?

I'll PM the answer not to flood the topic.
eugeneloza

Postby Danimal » 06 Oct 2014, 11:47

good find! beds for the poorest heroes :cool:
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 06 Oct 2014, 13:54

You have thougth out pretty well your project, i guess you are going to need lot of models, will the civilized races be human or something else? what poli count are you aiming or does your engine support? there is lots of monster in Blendswap and OGA, but mostly not animated; so i think you can benefit from OD when we get them ready to be used.

As for your other project, it uses futuristic vehicules rigth? Give this an eye, you will need to make wheels, tracks... but after that its just mix and match the needed pieces. You would need to texture them, but its a pretty good sci-fy resource:
http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/17601
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 07 Oct 2014, 08:27

Thanks, I'll give them a try.
However, models for Project Helena will be rather simple (I think I can already try them now) - crawlers, cars and tanks.
But as for Decoherence... It's tons of work I want to do from a scratch for the art to be homogeneous. P.S. Humen do not live in 'that' Universe, its different from ours. All the races are 'intelligent animal-like lifeforms'... However... But its too early to speak about this now :). I hope, I'll get to the stage of optimistic alpha :).
eugeneloza

Postby Danimal » 07 Oct 2014, 09:34

Danimal
OD Moderator