New Dungeon Heart

New Dungeon Heart

Postby Danimal » 13 Apr 2014, 17:25

Im not too fond of the current one, since it reminds me the engine from "event horizont" movie, and a disco ball for Elvano ;) ; so i present to you guys this WIP one.

The "Heart stone" is supposed to float (a bit) up and down slowly, the blood coming out from the skulls and filing the star should be an animated texture; the steps will have glowing runes on it sides, spires will also have them.
Some kind of ray of ligth rises from the center to give the "Heart stone" a feeling of magic. All of that will come when doing the textures, since rigth now there is only blender materials to give an idead of the final result.

Opininons, sugestions and critics appreciated
Attachments
Dungeon Heart2.png
Dungeon Heart.png
Danimal
OD Moderator

Re: New Dungeon Heart

Postby Elvano » 13 Apr 2014, 18:36

I had a concept myself as wel, Danimal =p
(can't find the textured one)

But now I'm so going to steal your crystal idea >=D
(did you use the gem mesh build in blender?)
Attachments
dungeonheart.png
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 13 Apr 2014, 19:09

Actually mine and yours look like good portal replacements if they are not used as hearts, i dont like the "Star gate" one we have atm.
I just created the gem by hand and tinkered a bit with its alpha
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 13 Apr 2014, 19:49

Keep in mind that the Dungeon Heart is the most important building in your entire dungeon and has to represent the presence of the evil keeper within the realm.
There for it should be solid as well as reflecting power, evil and evil power. >=D

I'm not too happy with the base of mine. It can certainly use some more evil detail.

The one we're currently using is also way too small. A fighter would be able to smash it with just a kick or 2 ;o
We shouldn't be afraid to let the DK take up some space. I'll quote again: "the Dungeon Heart is the most important building in your entire dungeon"
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 13 Apr 2014, 21:03

it may be the most important building but we cant overgrown it too much, its representation has been very simple in all the DKs. Just think its not a throne room, but your soul inside some kind of vessel, so make it as gothic as you want, but dont make too big.

By the way, save that model iteration, it could double really nice as a portal, really.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 14 Apr 2014, 10:03

Danimal {l Wrote}:it may be the most important building but we cant overgrown it too much, its representation has been very simple in all the DKs. Just think its not a throne room, but your soul inside some kind of vessel, so make it as gothic as you want, but dont make too big.

Since we're not making a DK clone we can stress the importance of our DH.
Why not make it a throne room, as it really should be? >=D

Besides, take notice that the dungeons heart in DK2 takes up 5*5 tiles.
That does sound pretty spacious to me =p
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 14 Apr 2014, 11:44

Besides, take notice that the dungeons heart in DK2 takes up 5*5 tiles.

That one got a treasure room included, but im fine as long its not massive.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 14 Apr 2014, 13:18

Elvano, do you have more models in mind? i wouldnt want to clash with again, since its a waste of modeling time. I also like the WOW feel your model has.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 14 Apr 2014, 13:23

Danimal {l Wrote}: I also like the WOW feel your model has.

You take that back right now! D;

I don't think I actually have been working on any models (other than a chicken coop which turned out decent but unusable for OD)
I started on the Dungeon heart a while ago since...well, no offence to whoever made the previous one, but it looked way too tech and I dare say it was just made quickly to have something to add in.
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 14 Apr 2014, 14:05

We need to investigate the assests from agentkeeper, they already have implemented the library with some nice books podiums.
Also, if you want to help on a simple job that doesnt require too much effort, we needs different resting places for all creatures (straw nest, ... , or whatever you think a monster would enjoy sleeping in).

Different portals are also a need (monsters, heroes), especial monuments that grant advantages (yuo can be original here), not to talk about our lack of models.

Whats wrong with WOW style? i have never played it, but its an attractive one.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 19 Apr 2014, 19:39

I was in the mood of a more eastern look

Elvano {l Wrote}:But now I'm so going to steal your crystal idea >=D

Which I have done =p
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 19 Apr 2014, 20:56

I think the overall shape is pretty good, but that colour squeme is very out of place, can you do a more stone and mortar version? please?; also, i believe it would look better if you opened the spikes to the outside so its not that near the center (make them more straight) and made the gem much bigger and position lower (so its somewhat over but near the lava well edge), and as last touch add a chain connecting each pilar to the gem (the chains not being tensed but flacid) so the gem can be animated to hover slowly up and down.
This will give the gem all the focus, make it produce ligth at an interval and we have a great heart subtitute.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 19 Apr 2014, 21:18

Danimal {l Wrote}:can you do a more stone and mortar version?

That was actually the plan; doing multiple textures on the same model to create an entirely different setting.
Mind you that I make all my textures from scratch and that to me stone walls and floors remain to be a challange, hence I choose for the easy way out first =p

Danimal {l Wrote}: i believe it would look better if you opened the spikes to the outside so its not that near the center

They were originally, but enemies could too easily cut through the barricade. I guess that much realism is a bit too far fetched, but still ... >.>

Danimal {l Wrote}:made the gem much bigger and position lower (so its somewhat over but near the lava well edge)

This was actually the most troublesome part of my scene. No matter what I tried I just couldn't get the crystal right.
Might have another go at it.

This scene was actually more like a break-time project.
So I will most likely push some changes but not sure to when I will.
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 19 Apr 2014, 21:59

i can make a concept of what i mean (did already, look below), so if you like it you can made the changes, and making the stone and mortar textures is as easy as getting them from OGA (along with normals) and applying.

By the way your style is very cool, i must stop using so few polis

*PS - Fear my paint skills!!
Attachments
heart concept.png
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 20 Apr 2014, 21:51

hi elvano, i would like to know if you will introduce any of these changes if even on a far future?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 20 Apr 2014, 22:00

I'm going to experiment with the textures so stone/mortar versions will be very likely to follow.

The chains idea reminds me to... well I've seen this in numberous places but I don't seem to recall any of them right now o_O
Point being: it's a classic and it looks like an interesting feature to experiment with to get it done in a most optimal way
edit: Pandora's Tower! It's all about the chains =p

Since I'm not good with the crystal it's certainly worth a try to follow your instructions on it.

As for the "pikes", I misunderstood what you were talking about earlier, but as far as the pilars are concerned I think I prefer them the way they are.
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 20 Apr 2014, 22:58

Yes, spikes = pilars, both the chained bigger crystal and inclined pilars can live together in harmony ;)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 21 Apr 2014, 09:49

We should have a counter-room for the human side as well for every room ;o
Thus a throne room should be awsome as alternative =p
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 21 Apr 2014, 10:01

We dont really need a counterpart for each room since most will be generic enougth, and since humans are not a fully playable race (at least not yet) they dont need a fully developed dungeon, hell, they dont even need to eat or they will starve outside your dungeon. They are your limitless numbered enemies.

But a throne room is a nice idea, we need the subject and place to commint regicide, rigth? ;)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 21 Apr 2014, 10:02

Danimal {l Wrote}:We dont really need a counterpart for each room since most will be generic enougth, and since humans are not a fully playable race (at least not yet) they dont need a fully developed dungeon

One think that was missing in the original DK series was a playable human side in skirmish and multiplayer.
We ought not to repeat this mistake ;o
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 21 Apr 2014, 11:18

In that case only "specialization" rooms will need to be made, all the other are generic enought (lair, training room, library, hatchery...), so i guess that means having counterparts for only six rooms (2 per path) plus throne and maybe the odd one room i cant remenber.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 16 May 2014, 20:55

Elvano, im sorry to be pushy, but do you think you could have your dungeon heart ready for the next release? If things go well it should be around one month from now. Ill also make some additions to the project in the meantime.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 30 May 2014, 22:17

Dungeon heart! Dungeon Heart!
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 09 Jun 2014, 14:45

For the textures, what is the Pixels/Meter we're aiming at?
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 09 Jun 2014, 14:56

For something like the heart we can be very permisive. Ideally 1024x1024 but 2048x2048 is also fine; since its the most important room in the whole game
Danimal
OD Moderator