General questions

General questions

Postby damirdesign » 14 Nov 2011, 16:23

Hello peoples,

Ive signed up in hopes of assisting this very cool project, I'm kind of confused as to where I let people know where do I start?

I understand this info would be pointed out somewhere, so if you want to save time, just please refer me in the right direction via link.

1. On the main part of the website: http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/
you have a few images in both factions: the characters with concept art, are the final decided art? Which means you don't have a 3d model for it?

2. Have 'we' decided what this game will take after, whats the inspiration? I'm thinking along the lines of Diablo?

If there is, please refer to me to some art and I'll get started right away. I can maybe do a 3D model a day.

3. Is there a polygon budget for characters? I understand games of this can usually be about 5k tris? What is the decided format, FBX potentially? Whats been decided?

4. Are normal maps a go? From the distance between character to player, theirs a distance, so it wouldn't be surprising if their isn't.

I think that's it for the questions. Apologies if this is all posted elsewhere but their doesn't seem to be any 'stickies' in the modeling department.

Thanks.
damirdesign

Re: General questions

Postby svenskmand » 14 Nov 2011, 19:50

damirdesign {l Wrote}:Hello peoples,

Ive signed up in hopes of assisting this very cool project, I'm kind of confused as to where I let people know where do I start?

I understand this info would be pointed out somewhere, so if you want to save time, just please refer me in the right direction via link.

I am not sure I understand your question. But if you are looking for tasks to do in the context of art then this blog post explains what we are currently in need of :)
damirdesign {l Wrote}:1. On the main part of the website: http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/
you have a few images in both factions: the characters with concept art, are the final decided art? Which means you don't have a 3d model for it?

We do not have any 3D models for the factions yet. We have a final list of creatures for the Humans and the Undead. But we are stilling in the idea phase for the creatures of the other factions. The art there has a section titled "Improvements" which tells what we would like to have improved for the concept art. If you would like to make a model for a character with concept art then please do. None of the art is final, as improvements may always be needed.
damirdesign {l Wrote}:2. Have 'we' decided what this game will take after, whats the inspiration? I'm thinking along the lines of Diablo?

If there is, please refer to me to some art and I'll get started right away. I can maybe do a 3D model a day.

We like the art of Dungeon Keeper 2, Evil Genius, Overlord and Diablo 2. But we do not have any concrete guide lines as of yet, if you would like to help us form them then please do. We had another guys asking for this but I am not sure what to put into such a guideline, but maybe my answer to him will help you?
damirdesign {l Wrote}:3. Is there a polygon budget for characters? I understand games of this can usually be about 5k tris? What is the decided format, FBX potentially? Whats been decided?

We plan to have one, but as of now there is not strict limit. The hardware will have evolved allot when the game is finished so I think having high limits should be good for the project. So around 5000 triangles sounds fair. We are planing to test this out soon, so I hope to get back at your with a more precise answer.
damirdesign {l Wrote}:4. Are normal maps a go? From the distance between character to player, theirs a distance, so it wouldn't be surprising if their isn't.

We do use normal maps. So your are very much encourage to make them :)
damirdesign {l Wrote}:I think that's it for the questions. Apologies if this is all posted elsewhere but their doesn't seem to be any 'stickies' in the modeling department.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the questions I look forward to your art contributions :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator