GUI

Re: GUI

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 12:20

In the 0.4.7 RC Windows build it works perfectly with pngs.
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 03 Mar 2011, 12:23

Yep, it is probably related to my CEGUI build.
oln

Postby oln » 03 Mar 2011, 13:00

Worked with CEGUI from the repo, so it's changed back to png.

Going to do the renames in the source as well :)
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 13:03

cool :) Do you only rename in source or also within the gui files? I can do the final cleanup of the gui files after the sourcecode is done.
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 03 Mar 2011, 13:10

I renamed the lines in the source referring to taharezlook as you suggested, and renamed the TaharezLookSkin.scheme to OpenDungeonsSkin.scheme and removed the
<Imageset Name="TaharezLook" Filename="Media/gui/TaharezLook.imageset" /> .
Both are commited to svn and git now.

You can see the source code change here.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 13:14

cool :)

Then, what's mising?
Removing the default font loading in the source code (then I can change fonts without needing to access the sourcecode). And renaming the button handlers in the source code so that the new gui can actually be clicked (ater this step I can remove the currently invisible old gui).
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 03 Mar 2011, 13:21

blablub {l Wrote}:I tested it with svenskmands button idea. Here's a screenshot. His buttons are better, I must admit. ;) It shows also my new experiments with the general window theme.

Looks red, but cool :) When you have the sizes (aspects of the panels) and pixel sizes I can skin the panels.
oln {l Wrote}:
svenskmand {l Wrote}:
blablub {l Wrote}:svenskmand, Screenshots are done with the "Print" key. The png files are stored in the same folder from where OD runs (at least on Windows it's this way).

Thats what I thought too :S The problem is that the game is installed in C:\Program Files which Windows 7 have some weird nazi control policies for file access on :S So the game cannot write the screenshot to that folder :S It works when I move the game to desktop. I wonder how we fix that :S

Here is the game at 1920x1080, the text is pretty messed up, most of it cannot be read :S

I was working with the path stuff a while back, but i didn't finish the windows part. On linux the config file that is created is put in ~/.opendungeons. On windows it should be in appdata or something. Screenshots should ideally go the same place. Ill add a ticket for doing this.

Also, that looks really nice blablub :)

I think we should just make a folder Documents/Open Dungeons on Windows where screenshots, save games, replays, player profiles, etc. goes. That is how many other games does it on Windows, and it is much better this way when players that are not very computer literate will try to backup there save games. Using the appdata folder on Windows is bad as people cannot find it (it is hidden) when they backup the save games and player profiles.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 13:23

I suggest AppData (sorry... ;) ). All the games crowd my documents already, can't find my own docs anymore. ;)
Windows should offer something like UserAppData (non-hidden, non-critical app based content).
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 03 Mar 2011, 13:26

I want to avoid situations like these: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/ ... 33331.html they frustrate the user. In my opinion this is less troublesome than having yet another folder in Documents.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 03 Mar 2011, 13:28

I'm not sure what would be best, need some more opinions about it. Though, if we used appdata we could put a shortcut in the start menu to the folder.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 13:30

OK, considering the MANY other game folders already, one more probably wouldn't be noticable. ;)
And rethinking about user-friendlyness, Documents is indeed better than AppData.

Another idea:
Maybe store the config files in AppData and the screenshots in My Pictures\OpenDungeons?
StefanP.MUC

Postby Skorpio » 03 Mar 2011, 13:40

I really hate it when games put files into the documents or appdata folders. I want everything in the game folder.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 03 Mar 2011, 13:56

That doesn't work too well when applications don't have write access to the game folder. (Unless you require it to be run as an administrator, but that is very bad practice)
oln

Postby Bodsda » 03 Mar 2011, 15:46

My personal pet hate is when free software puts things in non standard locations. Data files related to an application should sit in AppData, config information should be in config files either in AppData, the installation directory or the Registry. it doesnt make any sense to put files in My Documents... They're not documents.

For Linux installations does the LSB define any locations for this sort of thing?

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 03 Mar 2011, 15:52

Skorpio {l Wrote}:I really hate it when games put files into the documents or appdata folders. I want everything in the game folder.

True, I also prefer that.
oln {l Wrote}:That doesn't work too well when applications don't have write access to the game folder. (Unless you require it to be run as an administrator, but that is very bad practice)

Indeed running as admin is bad.

So in this situation what can you do when nazi Windows wants to control you every action? I also really have when Windows just restarts my computer and closes all my programs with unsaved documents because it installed some random update, I mean WTF? I should decide if I want to restart not Windows. It can really piss med off big time.

Bodsda {l Wrote}:My personal pet hate is when free software puts things in non standard locations. Data files related to an application should sit in AppData, config information should be in config files either in AppData, the installation directory or the Registry. it doesnt make any sense to put files in My Documents... They're not documents.

For Linux installations does the LSB define any locations for this sort of thing?

Bodsda

On Windows the standard is now-a-days to use the Documents folder. On Linux I think it is to use ~/.OpenDungeons.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 03 Mar 2011, 16:08

svenskmand {l Wrote}:
Skorpio {l Wrote}:I really hate it when games put files into the documents or appdata folders. I want everything in the game folder.

True, I also prefer that.
oln {l Wrote}:That doesn't work too well when applications don't have write access to the game folder. (Unless you require it to be run as an administrator, but that is very bad practice)

Indeed running as admin is bad.

So in this situation what can you do when nazi Windows wants to control you every action? I also really have when Windows just restarts my computer and closes all my programs with unsaved documents because it installed some random update, I mean WTF? I should decide if I want to restart not Windows. It can really piss med off big time.

Bodsda {l Wrote}:My personal pet hate is when free software puts things in non standard locations. Data files related to an application should sit in AppData, config information should be in config files either in AppData, the installation directory or the Registry. it doesnt make any sense to put files in My Documents... They're not documents.

Bodsda

On Windows the standard is now-a-days to use the Documents folder. On Linux I think it is to use ~/.OpenDungeons.

Set automatic updates to download but not install the updates. Failing that, just turn it off. The only decent thing theyve released recently (in the last 2 years) is a look-and-feel update for RDP (mstsc.exe) - amazing how much a blue rounded bar instead of a grey one can impress me :)

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 16:56

Config files should be in AppData. And screenshots can be put in My Documents or Pictures. When pressing the screenshot button we can easily give a status message to the user telling the path of the screenshot. So after the first screenshot he took he knows where it is. And the game settings (config files) should have a ingame GUI anyways (the user don't need to access it manually).
StefanP.MUC

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 18:55

I tried pushing a git commit (setting up the code for the new gui to actually work and not just look good), but it did not arrive at SF.... I did get no error message and my local repository is up to date with my change according to git...
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 03 Mar 2011, 18:57

What did you do? With git you have to do a commit, and then do a push to get the changes to the server.
EDID: It is on sf :)
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 18:59

Yeah, I did that. But I just did it again, now it worked... Strange. I hope I didn't mess up anything. When everything worked right, the new GUI should now be working like the old one.
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 03 Mar 2011, 19:06

Seems to mostly work fine.
The gold/mana/territory displays display "gold" etc. in front of the number. This needs to be changed in code somewhere.
The dojo and host buttons don't seem to do anything. Don't know if it's the gui or if it's just missing code.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 20:05

I didn't change any of the code that actually does something. I changed only the hardcoded strings. But I took a look again. On the Dojo I accidentally had a space to much. I will fix this now (+ the Counters texts). But I can't find what's wrong with the host button (the left one in system). Does the quit button (right one in system) work correctly?
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 03 Mar 2011, 20:24

There is only one button under system as far as i can see.
(could be because of changes in code since the release version though)
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 20:25

Huh? strange, maybe I got a coordinate number in the layout wrong, but I was sure, I saw two buttons... I'll have a look.
StefanP.MUC

Postby StefanP.MUC » 03 Mar 2011, 20:27

Nope, I have two buttons in the 0.4.7 RC release version. Left one host, right one quit.
StefanP.MUC