Lizardman

Lizardman

Postby andrewbuck » 14 Feb 2011, 08:25

I have been working on the lizardman quite a bit lately and got a skeleton made for it with a walk and idle animation. The lizardman mesh is 430 polygons (about 650 if it was all converted to triangles), and the axe is 55 (most of which are quads). I have made a video of it which I will put up on youtube here. The skin should be good enough for now and should allow everyone to comment on what they like or don't like about the design. If you do make a new skin for it, be warned however that the model has had its seams changed since it was unwrapped to make this one so you will want to unwrap the mesh and then make the new skin.

The skeleton should be good for most of our animation needs, at least for now. I hope to get an attack and some other animations added soon as well so it will have a full set for testing. Let me know what you think about the mesh, the skin, or the skeleton/animations.

Edit: There is a second video here showing the attack animation as well.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Re: Lizardman

Postby charlie » 14 Feb 2011, 12:33

Perhaps you want to look at this lizard man:
http://opengameart.org/content/rigged-textured-reptile
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 14 Feb 2011, 13:16

A tad highpoly, methinks. Maybe fit for retopo though
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Danimal » 14 Feb 2011, 15:26

Andrew the lizarman should close its fist arount the axe handle, and you leave one hand free? i would either give it a two handed axe or a shield.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 16 Feb 2011, 16:14

I actually think Andrew's lizardman is quite cute. Of course he needs some more work. I'm not sure whether it's better to use Andrew's low poly as a base mesh for sculpting or to retopo the other lizardman from OGA. I don't really like the texture of the high poly lizardman, I think it's too dark, but the normal map is nice. Also, why doesn't he have a tail? A lizardman must have a tail!

PS: I didn't have much time to work on OD, have some trouble with the apartment (a leak in a water pipe near my PC).
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 22 Feb 2011, 11:14

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:I have been working on the lizardman quite a bit lately and got a skeleton made for it with a walk and idle animation. The lizardman mesh is 430 polygons (about 650 if it was all converted to triangles), and the axe is 55 (most of which are quads). I have made a video of it which I will put up on youtube here. The skin should be good enough for now and should allow everyone to comment on what they like or don't like about the design. If you do make a new skin for it, be warned however that the model has had its seams changed since it was unwrapped to make this one so you will want to unwrap the mesh and then make the new skin.

The skeleton should be good for most of our animation needs, at least for now. I hope to get an attack and some other animations added soon as well so it will have a full set for testing. Let me know what you think about the mesh, the skin, or the skeleton/animations.

Edit: There is a second video here showing the attack animation as well.

-Buck

I like your animations in the first video. The attach looks a bit dull. The swing should be more rotation so it is not just horizontal.

charlie {l Wrote}:Perhaps you want to look at this lizard man:
http://opengameart.org/content/rigged-textured-reptile

Nice one :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 28 Feb 2011, 15:17

I'm working on a high poly version of Andrew's lizardman. The shape is almost done, hands, feet and muscles have to be refined a little bit, and for the mesostructure of the skin I'll probably just paint a bumpmap. I know I could have used the lizardman from OGA as well, but I guess the amount of work to make him usable for OD would have been similar.
Attachments
Lizardman1.jpg
Lizardman2.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 28 Feb 2011, 15:26

Cool :) Nice work Skorpio :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 08 Mar 2011, 18:00

The high poly version and textures of the lizardman are complete. Now I have to retopo it and bake the textures, and I need to fix some things in the bump map. I was slightly inspired by Lurchi when I painted the diffuse map :) (actually more by tigers).
Attachments
Lizardman3.jpg
Lizardman4.jpg
Lizardman5.jpg
Lizardman6.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 08 Mar 2011, 18:01

Now this looks great. :)
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 08 Mar 2011, 18:04

Awesome stuff :) He might be a good mercenary :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 08 Mar 2011, 18:34

Or dungeon creature... Or just a creature, that could be assigned alignment values :P
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 08 Mar 2011, 23:10

We ditched the alignment system for the factions with keeper skills and experience system, which is better.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 09 Mar 2011, 23:53

d-(^_^)-b

I like this!
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 10 Mar 2011, 21:33

I'm done with retopo and baking, and there's almost no difference to the high poly version. Now he needs a rig and animations.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 11 Mar 2011, 14:34

The lizardman already has a skeleton, wouldn't you use that for the high-poly version as well as they should be the same basic size/shape?

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 12 Mar 2011, 21:06

Yes, I'll use the skeleton of the low poly lizardman, but because I scaled the high poly I'll have to modify it a little bit. Didn't have time to work on it yet. BTW how big should the model be? I think it would look good, if he had about the size of the knight.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 12 Mar 2011, 23:49

Yeah, I was thinking a bit shorter than the knight. Overall the creature should have about the body mass of the knight but since it has a tail I would make it a bit shorter.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby farcodev » 13 Mar 2011, 15:43

the lizardman is impressive, good work !!
farcodev

Postby Skorpio » 14 Mar 2011, 00:25

Thanks. The lizardman is rigged now, but I still got to tweak the skeleton or the mesh a little bit, because I don't like how the arms are deformed.
Skorpio
OD Moderator