Creature lists and concept art for them

Re: Creature lists and concept art for them

Postby Danimal » 07 Jun 2011, 23:20

Sadly yes, im still up to my neck on tests, thankfully only two more to go, my eyes have a nice black halo by lack of sleep and i have barely seen the outside world in a month. Damn, i so want to finish already... when i do, no doubt ill help with the creature list. Also, how the hell does that mindmap works? it looks like a ftp server (ugly). Regarding the construct i kind of think they should be left like the example we last had, rounder and shiny, kind like star wars drones. And i keep thinking that many factions is overkill... especially without 3d modellers.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 Jun 2011, 23:49

The mind map is actually pretty neat, when you know the shortcuts, and it is ideal for fleshing out ideas like creature-list for the factions.
  • Use the arrow keys to navigate around the tree,
  • press space to expand or collaps a node,
  • press enter to make a new sibling node,
  • press insert to make a new child node
  • and finally press delete to delete a node.
Also remember to checkout the folder "MoodPictures" to see the attached images in the mindmap, the folder should be next to the Factions.mm file.

The huge amount of factions was to get diversity of creatures into the game. For some time we discussed an alignment based system or a faction based system. We ended up with a faction based system, mostly because there is not really any coherence between the creatures if it is only alignment base, and also the there is not really any back story that would explain why the creatures from different faction would like to join you. Even if we removed the factions completely, like in DK there is not story element to explain why they want to fight for you, and who they want to fight against. In other words if the enemy can get the same set of creatures as you can, why should they fight each other? Which is also what DK failed greatly at, there is not explanation of where creatures come from or why they join you, and why they should/would fight other keepers.

In my opinion great games with good gameplay become even better if they have a great story. But we can discuss other alternatives also, I am open :) But they story needs to be convincing. In the end we should do what is best for the game :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 08 Jun 2011, 16:48

do i need a specific program to properly see the mindmap?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 09 Jun 2011, 21:00

HELL YEAH!! I FINISHED!!!!!! expect more critters soon!
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 09 Jun 2011, 21:02

Congrats :)

Well it is made with FreeMind so you need that ;)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 10 Jun 2011, 14:51

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Even if we removed the factions completely, like in DK there is not story element to explain why they want to fight for you, and who they want to fight against. In other words if the enemy can get the same set of creatures as you can, why should they fight each other? Which is also what DK failed greatly at, there is not explanation of where creatures come from or why they join you, and why they should/would fight other keepers.

I understood the reasoning in DK was that the creatures are mercanaries of sort. You pay them salary, and provide a place for them to live as a trade for fighting power. It's still a rather thin concept though.
oln

Postby Danimal » 10 Jun 2011, 17:29

Not to forget that all of them were plain evil and just liked that short of bloody action.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 15 Jun 2011, 20:59

Danimal: Did you get FreeMind installed so you could check out the mindmap?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 17 Jun 2011, 20:35

Hello, no, sorry, didnt install it yet. I have been busy with lots of postponed things because of my tests, anyways, i would like to show a concept for the undead scout and hear your opinion. Im uploading it shortly.
On another note, the forum is looking quite dead...
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 17 Jun 2011, 23:39

I'm not dead!
oln

Postby svenskmand » 17 Jun 2011, 23:46

I'm also not dead. Maybe we should get something going :) I have been working on clipping the announcer sounds a bit, so some of them will be ready for 0.4.9, I will also work some more on the GUI :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 18 Jun 2011, 00:58

Ignore the general crappiness, the skull has a 5 points stars and a gem inside, two pointy fangs (too dark in the image, sorry) little horns, i draw the head too long, that needs to be corrected. The last 3 segments of the spinal cord have attached several blades for attacking (fish fin inspired). Head could be engulfed in green fire while the rest have a green aura. The skull would move like an eel, swimming but in middair and attack stomping and/or whipping with its tail.
Your opinions?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 18 Jun 2011, 10:47

I'm dead. Or undead?

The flying skull looks nice. Only the head is a bit long, and I would make the horns larger, but the tail looks great. Should it rotate like a ship's screw?
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 18 Jun 2011, 11:29

Pretty nice :) regarding the tail I think the blades and spikes on the tail should only be 25% of their current size. Maybe also remove the pentagram from the head. I like the idea of it moving like a eel in the air, and the green aura idea. I think the green aura should be really weak compare to say the aura on the constructs. All in all pretty nice :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 18 Jun 2011, 12:29

Hi Skorpio, nice to see you still look the forums from time to time. How is your pet project going?
On a side note , war for the overwold is looking better and better lately.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 18 Jun 2011, 13:48

Hmm which pet project? I've been working only on this mech during the last weeks. At the moment I'm backing up my files, because I'm about to install a new motherboard and processor.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 18 Jun 2011, 14:42

Danimal {l Wrote}:On a side note , war for the overwold is looking better and better lately.

It does. It's a shame they went the proprietary route. Hopefully they won't get any cease & desist letters from EA.
oln

Postby Danimal » 18 Jun 2011, 18:05

Skorpio thats a cool mech, though that project seems to be still really green, i guess you really favor more hi-tech stuff than fantasy, well i like both :) .
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 21 Jun 2011, 14:49

Danimal: remember to put your sketches into the SVN here.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 23 Jun 2011, 18:31

Ok, mindmap seems easy to use, but i dont know how to upload a picture to the MoodPictures/ folder. perhap permissions are needed.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 23 Jun 2011, 21:35

Do you have a SF account? If so what is your username?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 24 Jun 2011, 12:53

Upsss, my bad. Will do one now and tell you. Also, why dont make already a request to OGA asking for some models? they seem to have been having trouble coming up with challenges, and we can ask for models and give them the reference photos and/or descriptions, we may be surprised what people can come up using their originality.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 27 Jun 2011, 17:15

That is a good idea :) But to do that we need more concept art. We should at least have concept art/sketch for each creature we want them to model.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 27 Jun 2011, 20:23

we have concepts for the whole hero faction or for a few, descriptions. I think that should do.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 27 Jun 2011, 21:52

When I say concept art I mean sketches or colored concept art like the stuff you (sketch), Skorpio (concept art) and I (sketch) have made and not the "inspirational pictures" that you and I have attached to descriptions/listings of the factions.
svenskmand
OD Moderator