2 ideas linked to gameplay

Re: 2 ideas linked to gameplay

Postby eugeneloza » 20 Dec 2014, 21:17

About the music: of course! The original file has no music.
That was just a sketch and I was too lazy to clean everything up and have hidden smaller errors under music + that way it is much more 'moody'.

I'll split everything into phrases and do a clean-up tomorrow.

(UPD) 2 heroes + 2 keepers = around 190 Mb at WAV 48000/32 = 30Mb OGG. + 125Mb for snake and toady = 20 MB OGG.
By default I shall not include reverb (except a subtle delay for keepers for effect).
eugeneloza

Postby eugeneloza » 21 Dec 2014, 17:51

Cleaned everything up, cut into phrases & uploaded the sketch to Opengameart: http://opengameart.org/content/voice-ac ... n-dungeons in WAV and OGG format.
There are several files with recording artefacts, they are noted with # tag.
P.S. Check the new preview at OGA :)
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 22 Dec 2014, 23:41

Bertram
VT Moderator

Re: Voice Acting

Postby eugeneloza » 23 Dec 2014, 06:09

So, let's determine a script for re-recording. It may be as long as desired :) 'cause most of the time was taken by cutting everything into pieces (1 hour for recording + 2 hours for processing (almost independent of record length) + 4 hours for cleaning&splitting (chores,chores,chores) ) :) So 'a lot of stuff' (like campaign briefings, intro text, may-be-of-use phrases, or anything like that) may be recorded and split into parts as required (if required).
I'll try to make a corrections to the scenario based on propositions in this topic and spontaneous ideas I had during the recording process. I think, that as soon as the voice appears in-game there will be more ideas. But, actually, which process would be more convenient? By simply posting ideas&editing and odt file? Or some joint work in wiki-like style?

We may also make different scripts for groan & neutral Keepers, because they are recorded separately. In the sketch I just thought of 'using' one of them and deleting another one. Maybe I should also try different processing for them to sound more distinctively different?

Had a few ideas, I'll post them here, just in case I'll loose my sheet of paper before I introduce them into electronic file
- We must retreat to regroup
- ... forces of darkness
- darkness shall prevail
- ... condolesssscensssse ...
- ... your cruelty
- darkness will embrace the light
- I wish I had killed it myself
- Even a bad dead enemy is a good undead minion
- Another job well done

Dwarf has unfairly less phrases than others (29 phrases versus 47 for Keeper & 46 for Hero). I'll try to work more on his script. Moreover, next time I'll not be lazy to print out the script that I would be able to control & adjust recording levels live in order to avoid clips Dwarf and Hero suffered from (this was my natural voice so it was much more loud than others) & increase distance to the mic to recommended 50 cm to avoid pops. One more important hint for myself in order not to forget: do a separate removenoise for every track.

Maybe there would be ideas on more voice/characters? Like mad clown / evil AI computer-like voice, i.e. mantis-like (this time not R2D2 :cool: ) / froggy voice / dark wizard. Or maybe some really 'neutral' soft voice should be added, just event announcement, without some specific character/mood/style.

@moderator/administrator: I believe, most of the above posts concerning voice acting should be moved to viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1321 or to a new topic in 'OD Sound/Music' subforum. Thanks in advance :)
eugeneloza

Message phrases prioritizing

Postby eugeneloza » 23 Dec 2014, 11:10

Had some thoughts on prioritizing the audio prhases.
I.e. not just a phrase added to the mix at the event making a mess if many events appear quasi-simultaneousely, but a kind of 'queue' for phrases with the following rules:
--- There are two phrases: current and pending.
--- If pending != null then after current stop current=pending; current.say; pending=null; else current=null
--->>> Adding a new phrase:
--->>> if current == null then current=new; current.say.
--->>> else if pending == null then pending=new;
--->>> else if pending.priority>=new.priority then pending=new;
In other words. 'Not enough gold' should not interrupt 'We are under attack' and 'New creature has arrived' should not interrupt 'We have been defeated'.
P.S. It relates only to audio messages, text messages should be inaffected.

I.e. priority would look like that
1 Greeting
1 Victory
1 Defeat
2 Ally defeated
2 One enemy defeated
2 You have met an objective
2 You have a new objective
2 You have failed one of your objectives
3 We are under attack
4 Creature died
5 New creature arrived
5 Creature cannot create a bed
5 Creature is hungry and cannot find food
While 'greeting' is not an important phrase, it is the first one, so there is no actual priority affecting it.

Another (harder to implement) idea is: 'pending' should be longer than 1 phrases with the following rules:
Adding an item to the 'pending' removes all lower-priority pending messages.
An item is added to the 'pending' queue only if it is higher or equal priority as last pending message.
I.e. 'Ally defeated' should not 'destroy' message 'You have failed one of your objectives' because they are equally important and both should play in a sequence even if they are a little bit late for the occasion. While 'Victory' should not be followed by any other message and should not let any other message before it, as it concludes the game.
eugeneloza

Re: Message phrases prioritizing

Postby hwoarangmy » 25 Dec 2014, 22:52

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:Had some thoughts on prioritizing the audio prhases.
We also have an easy option: queue all the audio phrases and play them one after the other ^^
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 27 Dec 2014, 02:52

I guess we'll see all that when someone will put his/her hands in the dirt to add support for this. In the meanwhile, I'd like to finish a few things for VT, and then start on adding the options menu, and improve the new GUI parts that were added.
Bertram
VT Moderator