Making a "playable" level

Making a "playable" level

Postby oln » 30 Mar 2012, 17:49

I think there is enough content in the game that we could make one or more very simple levels that can be played as a game. I think one is able to "win" a level with the current code, I am unsure if loading a new level is working or not. As there is no working AI it will have to involve defeating one or more groups of monsters. (Currently the only sensible implemented goal to use is KillAllEnemies).
Any suggestions for a map layout for this? The game has basic level editing support, though I have to check the source to find out what the hotkeys are.
oln

Re: Making a "playable" level

Postby Danimal » 30 Mar 2012, 21:24

Make it like a series of arenas (pockets full of monsters) that have to be excavated to reach, with increasing monster levels and a huge treasure at the last one(with a huge guardian). Linear and full of combat, since thats the most implemented feature rigth?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 31 Mar 2012, 17:33

Danimal {l Wrote}:Make it like a series of arenas (pockets full of monsters) that have to be excavated to reach, with increasing monster levels and a huge treasure at the last one(with a huge guardian). Linear and full of combat, since thats the most implemented feature rigth?

Sounds good. When you find the hotkeys for the map editor, please post them here also, or add them to the wiki. There are some controls mentioned here in the wiki, but I do not know if that is all of them.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 03 Apr 2012, 11:49

Here are the shortcuts from the source.

Keyboard shortcuts:
  • R - Change tile type
  • Comma(,) - decrease brush size
  • Period(.) - increase brush size
  • B - Toggle brush mode on/off
  • T - Change tile fullness
Click and drag to move a creature.
Click on a tile to change type/fullness to whatever the brush is set to. (Seems like there is currently no indication of what tile type/fullness is selected. It might show in the console.)

I'll update with console commands later.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 03 Apr 2012, 12:28

Ok, cool :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 05 Apr 2012, 18:13

Are there any models needed for this first playable level? Do we have doors yet?
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 05 Apr 2012, 23:45

I do not think we have any doors yet. Also I think touches and barrels would be nice, so if you could export the ones from some of your previous renders of the new tile-set that would be awesome :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 14 May 2012, 19:31

In regards to map generator, i think its made by text rigth now?, after i saw what some guys did with Skorpio tileset i wonder if we can use that editor?, if not i think i can remember Ogre3d also had a gui driven graphical editor, its not possible to take a step in that way? it would surely streamline things a lot and maybe even put something playabe together
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 14 May 2012, 19:54

Danimal: Can you wrote a little more on World Editors in Ogre and what they can do ? I have some imaginations about them , which of course not all is nessesery true ;).

In regards to map generator, i think its made by text rigth now?
No idea what you mean. There is [OD]/levels_git/Test.level which first defines the map using readable tokens in English, plus Game and Editor use that format by proper delegation of operator>> and operator<<.

BTW : What does that have with new Scorpio's tileset ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 14 May 2012, 21:56

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Re: Some new models

Postby Skorpio » 05 May 2012, 09:21
Someone is using the new tileset in a map editor: http://vimeo.com/41580371 :) Maybe you can ask him how he did it.

Oln, have you fixed the problems with the normal maps already? If yes, then we should release a new version soon, so that I can better test my models in-game.

This speaks by itself, is it possible?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 15 May 2012, 22:18

Should be doable, just have to fix the ownership bug that is in the game right now.
oln

Postby Danimal » 16 May 2012, 16:54

i would love to make some levels using an editor like that
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 16 May 2012, 18:44

But we already have an editor in the game, why do you not use that?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 13 Sep 2012, 15:01

Let's continue to talk about a plan for a first simple yet fun game mode. Something that can be done without much effort and with the existing content. What I have in mind is something similar to this kind of game: http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGames/warfare-1917 (does this genre have a name?)

The AI just needs to dig and claim a path towards your dungeon and then spawn mobs which try to destroy your dungeon temple. It should also be able to mine gold to buy these mobs (or if that's too much work, simply spawn some creatures at specified time intervals). Instead of waiting for random immigrants you should be able to recruit monsters which have weaknesses or strengths against some other creatures. In the workshop you could also produce traps to stop the invaders. Btw was there a way to disable traps in DK or did you have to sacrifice monsters? It would also be cool to have some spells to support your creatures during combats.

The difficulty of the level could then simply be determined by the amount and strength of the creatures which the AI spawns.
Skorpio
OD Moderator