OpenDungeons is great! :D

OpenDungeons is great! :D

Postby Imerion » 27 Jan 2017, 15:52

I finally got around to trying OpenDungeons a bit more in-depth and came away very impressed! So I just wanted to write here and say that. The game was really fun to play, everything felt polished and practical and graphics were a whole lot nicer than I thought (judging from screenshots). It felt uniform, I loved how open dig sites got bricked up and turned into corridors - all with nice looking textures and tiles, the cursor light effect was really cool and it all ran very well on my lightweight laptop. My next project is to try it in multiplayer, which I'm really looking forward too. Thanks to all involved for your hard work!
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Re: OpenDungeons is great! :D

Postby Imerion » 11 Feb 2017, 18:18

Yesterday I got a multiplayer session up together with some friends and played a few maps. Again I must say I am impressed and really like the game. There is so much fun content and smart design, not to mention building a dungeon and watching creatures go about is really fun.

Despite playing on the two largest maps we had no problems with lag, desync or such. Network was rock solid! We didn't encounter any other bugs either. The only weird thing was that we felt creatures didn't really go where expected when using the call to war spell and we had trouble defeating an AI player because it seemed our creatures did nothing. Some managed to walk up to the Dungeon Temple, but they didn't attack or anything. Maybe winning is achieved in some other way?

We also didn't find a way to destroy walls. I can imagine this is intentional, but as things were now the only way to enter our opponents base was through a bridge build over a lava area. I doubt that is the only way to enter a base. :)

As for the call to war spell, I noticed on GitHub there is a commit that adds a symbol for when creatures are answering a call to war, so that is already fixed. I believe that is smart, since we weren't sure if creature responded when playing.

We also had to figure out what many of the rooms did ourselves, since I found only old documentation. After going through changelogs things became obvious, but a short list somewhere on the F1 Help screen would be nice. Besides that, the F1 screen was really useful when getting started.

Either way, amazing work with this game! If you want more feedback I can go into more detail about how these matches played out. Just tell me. :)
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Re: OpenDungeons is great! :D

Postby oln » 15 Feb 2017, 10:19

Thanks for the kind words. The project has been rather inactive lately, but it's nice to see people still enjoying it. I am not sure about the destroying walls thing, I can't remember if there is a mechanic for that implemented or not.
oln