OpenDungeons 0.5.0 released!

OpenDungeons 0.5.0 released!

Postby Bertram » 21 Apr 2015, 11:12

Hey there, :D

It's out: http://opendungeons.github.io/

For the most impatients, you can grab the new shiny release files there!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendungeons/files/

If you have any feedback, please post it here so we can sum it all up in one topic,
or better open issues in our tracker.

Have fun! ;)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Re: OpenDungeons 0.5.0 released!

Postby samuncle » 22 Apr 2015, 10:21

Congratulation for your release :).

As a gift, I just remixed your official image with your logo because i think they can fit nicely together.
0.5.0_mainnewsimg-hd.png

edit:
btw we should add some cross references/easter egg between supertuxkart and OpenDungeon

From the SuperTuxKart team
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Danimal » 22 Apr 2015, 14:08

Awesome editing Samuncle! im still a novice at compositions and i love yours :)
Do you have any killer penguin model around or model that would fit OD? i wouldnt mind at all adding them, i also have all sources from OD models, i can send or tailor anything 3d you want.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 22 Apr 2015, 14:29

Congratulations on the release guys. Hard work paying off! OD is really coming together.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Danimal » 22 Apr 2015, 14:34

Charlie now you are obligated to make us a post on FreeGameDev Blog! No need for anything fancy, just a notice of the release would be good
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Vandar » 22 Apr 2015, 14:46

Hero A: This OpenDungeons thing really is becoming a problem. Too many keepers start new dungeons.
Hero B: We should go and teach them a lesson!
Hero A: Right, let's gather a group and raid those open dungeons for their treasures. Why don't they close the gates anyways?
Hero B: Yup, will be easy gold for us.

Two fisted monkey style, anyone?
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Postby hwoarangmy » 23 Apr 2015, 20:08

Danimal {l Wrote}:Do you have any killer penguin model around or model that would fit OD?
That could be a nice reference to STK ^^
A level looking like one of their circuits with a boss being a killer pinguin :)
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 23 Apr 2015, 20:39

Good, i have always wanted to make a killer penguin, im a fan of prinnies myself :)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Akien » 23 Apr 2015, 20:53

hwoarangmy {l Wrote}:
Danimal {l Wrote}:Do you have any killer penguin model around or model that would fit OD?
That could be a nice reference to STK ^^
A level looking like one of their circuits with a boss being a killer pinguin :)

Or a rogue faction where all creatures are characters from STK ;)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby hwoarangmy » 23 Apr 2015, 21:05

Akien {l Wrote}:Or a rogue faction where all creatures are characters from STK ;)
Thanks to you, Danimal will have work for weeks for 1 level :cool:
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 23 Apr 2015, 22:23

i hope you all like racing cars into medieval games :x, work time = copy models from tux kart GIT and rename meshes in creature config.
I can imagine a circular circuit and the characters spawing all at once from portals.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Vandar » 24 Apr 2015, 14:47

Then I also want sword wielding dwarfs on pogo sticks!

The penguins will make good ammo for crossbows or catapults. ;Oo> *swisssssh* *yowtch* !
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Postby samuncle » 24 Apr 2015, 17:20

Hi :), glad you like my art.

One day if I have the time I will do something for OD, but I don't want to promise too much.

My suggestion about cross referencing OD and STK has been a bit mistunderstood. Just putting a random kart in OD would be silly and looks like hey look we did a reference. That's not the idea.

Let's be creative, there are more interesting ways to do cross referencing. As an example. In STK we have a Fedex like company called Trans Continental Post (TCP). That could be in an old mail mag/messenger bag/whatever old school medieval post office.

* If there is a snowy map, yes definitely tux should be added. But tux should be added because it makes somehow sense. Not just to add tux.

* A reversed example would be to show in Nolok's final castle, one of your troll/stone giant inside ready to fight for him (nolok is our badguy), references to an old curse could be also included.

* Another example is Sara's Coat of arms, which is kinda medieval/fits into castel/dungeon universe and represents the "government" in stk, again we might imagine that a government would fight daemon from hell.
https://i.imgur.com/F0ohckC.png

* STK has a map with an old mine. We could include relics and artifacts from open dungeon.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 27 Apr 2015, 09:10

I think the 'target audience' for the games is too different to make some serious cross-references.
I.e. it'd be fun to have imps worship Sara's bike as some supernatural out-of-this-world object... but there is no good sense in it.
(nost of) STK characters are childish & cartoonish & good, while in OD 'it is good to be evil'.
However, there might be gold viene shaped 'STK'. Or walls posters. Or make computers in rest rooms where monsets would come and play STK.
eugeneloza

Postby CryHam » 28 Apr 2015, 09:32

Congrats guys. And kudos for reaching 10000 posts. Huge number :)
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 28 Apr 2015, 11:08

samuncle {l Wrote}:My suggestion about cross referencing OD and STK has been a bit mistunderstood. Just putting a random kart in OD would be silly and looks like hey look we did a reference. That's not the idea.
I agree with eugeneloza, since OD and STK worlds are pretty different, I'm not sure there is place for much more than a small reference. However, I think it would be cool to have in OD the same funny spirit as in the original DK and that would allow to add funny references. For example, a spell that would turn an enemy creature into tux (that cannot attack).

However, if you have a concept for something more interesting, please do not hesitate. I'm not saying that a better cross referencing should not be done, only that I do not have an idea that would make more "natural" the reference.
hwoarangmy