Keeper Meta Questions

Keeper Meta Questions

Postby Vandar » 05 Mar 2015, 14:17

A keeper can't build a portal. So who builds the portals for the keepers?

Portals can be destroyed. But what do the keepers do, when the last portal has been destroyed?

Where do the monsters come from, or asked the other way round, where do the portals lead two, when a monster leaves?

This game needs a meta story :p
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Re: Keeper Meta Questions

Postby Danimal » 05 Mar 2015, 14:29

Actually, portals wont be able to be destroyed just claimed, we still have to code that; there will be some destructable minor portals/lairs later though. And we will cover it with some kind of reason when we get to the point of making the first campaign. I think its a good idea the portal changes aspect when controlled by heroes or keepers, so the wormhole is the real "core" of the portal. But that is just story stuff that doesnt really concern the coding or general deveploment
Danimal
OD Moderator

Re: Keeper Meta Questions

Postby Vandar » 05 Mar 2015, 15:02

I wasn't entirely serious with this; games usually come with some gaps in the logic, and it isn't even neccesary that a game comes with a complete, gapless world explanation. It just happened that overlanders destroyed my portal, and I also was pondering a bit about why we start with maps that already have portals - of course, allowing the player to build portals would break the game, so this isn't an option, and I was wondering about a sort of meta-level which would explain the portal thing. At times I just like to think about silly issues which have no real effect or influence.

If portals can't be destroyed in later version, the question what keepers do without portals won't come up - but then the question is, how overlanders deal with covered portals and if they can enter the monster realm behind those, or if monsters would keep coming through portals even if those are not claimed by keepers. And the question what's behind such a portal still is interesting :cool:
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar