SURVEY : How to create the new maps ?

how do we code the room types and the seat's ownership ( player's color ) together ?

Poll ended at 27 Jun 2014, 01:59

One image -Use the players color and the brightness factor
33%
Two images - obtained from the Editor's layering mechanism
67%

Total votes : 3

Re: SURVEY : How to create the new maps ?

Postby Loobinex » 14 Jun 2016, 22:45

By the way having there's no reason for the player(!) to have the map editor accessible from the main executable at all. You don't start the game and go 'Why don't I edit the map I'm about to play first.'

The opposite however is true, when you open the map editor and make/edit a map, at some point the user will want to run the game and test his map. Functionality in an editor to run the game with the map as is open in the editor is nice to have.
Loobinex

Postby paul424 » 15 Jun 2016, 14:40

Ohhh really ?
hw. : What I meant was not to use any third party libraries at all, but to include code of such paint program directly in our code ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 15 Jun 2016, 14:51

paul424 {l Wrote}:hw. : What I meant was not to use any third party libraries at all, but to include code of such paint program directly in our code ...
Well, as long as it is not about embedding a big library which has to be compiled, I've nothing against it. But I doubt you can achieve creating some paint like just by copying some code snipets...
hwoarangmy

Postby Oetelaer » 15 Jan 2018, 15:22

For an image, many tiles have more than one property, so such an image should get several layers?

There where three editors for Dungeon Keeper. :cool:
The official Bullfrog Editor, UnDed, ADiKtEd.
http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk1_tools_mapedit.php
I used all three to make maps, and liked ADiKTed the most, because you can do a lot more with it than in other editors. Like, making tunnels into rock, make a swamp, create random maps, use lots drawings and codes as possibilities, that where never used in the original game.
And it also runs on Windows10. ADiKtEd and UnDed did not work very well, before they where updated by Mefistotelis. I had to throw away maps made in these programs before.
ADiKtEd would be my choice as a model for an editor.

The current 0.7.1 Open Dungeons editor looks a lot like the official Bullfrog Editor, and I am also okay with it, as long as it can be used.
There should be a complete manual, as came with the Dungeon Keeper Editor a small book needed for Dungeon Keeper scripting language.
http://keeper.lubiki.pl/dk1_docs/
Dungeon Keeper Scripting language has also been researched and extended by Mefistotelis.
ADiKtEd gives a very good overview about the inside of the Dungeon Keeper engine.

The only manual I could find on the Open Dungeons Editor/making a map, that I could find, was this one:
https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDun ... ve-portals
If interested, I can start a faq now on making maps in Open Dungeons... :?
Attachments
ADiKtEd03.png
ADiKtEd02.png
ADiKtEd01.png
Oetelaer

Postby paul424 » 25 Jan 2018, 12:42

Well what I think , we don't need FAQ , but someone who would start making maps, when you create a few ones and we see they are nice, I can start adding features to map editor you would wish to have ....That would upheave the project from the stall ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Oetelaer » 01 Apr 2018, 21:48

I would love to make maps, but I can't get the editor to work.
If I save a map, the temple is gone.
Oetelaer