Hello Again

Hello Again

Postby DarkFire4114 » 05 Sep 2011, 20:10

Hi everybody. Does anybody remember me? I was someone from the WftO Project that came over for a while. I'm also the person who created the Maiden, who I see has made her way into the Weak Spell Caster Unit Role for the Human faction :D

I wanted to know a few things. First off, how is everybody and how's the project currently? I remember a few of you, but AndrewBuck is probably the person who stands out the most in my memory of this project. I did spend a good amount of time reading posts but I was mostly reaidng old news so I don't know what's going on at the moment.

The second thing I wanted to know is if I'd be able to join you in the developement of this project. Not just as someone who's making suggestions or assisting the project from the outside, I was hoping to get inside on the actual developement team, so I could provide help to the fullest of my ability. I think I could be a great help with the story/lore and can even assist in some statistical data and help with balancing. I can also help when it comes to getting ideas for some new and interesting gameplay functions, if needed. I definately won't have trouble when it comes to creating new and unique Units.

I've gotten quite far since we last met. I have gotten myself into the developement team of WftO, and I've had obtained experiance from working on a team there. I do a number of tasks in that project, which are pretty much the same services that I offered above. It should definately be noted that I created all the Lore that WftO has at this point in time, and that the majority of new Units are also created by me. The reason for that is because I seem to offer the best of ideas, since I focus on creating Units that fill unique Unit Roles, are well balanced, fitting for the Dungeon Keeper universe, and interesting due to their fleshed out personality.

I don't mean to sound a bit full of myself as I talk about all these things that I do for WftO, I'm mostly trying to convince you that I can be very useful and can offer you the same/similar services that I offer to WftO. While I also wanted to help out when I was last here, I didn't have the same more experiance so I wouldn't be as useful. I was also pretty young too.

I'm a bit busy with school and the WftO Project at the moment, so I wouldn't be able to help out as much as I would like, unfortunately. However, I can still get a significant amount of work done even so. Next summer though, I will get out of school and I will be able to devote a lot more time to helping everyone out. I find it would be better though if I could join now instead of later though.

So what do you guys say about this? Do you think I could be of assistance to you?

Edit:
Oh, and my apologies if I posted this in the wrong section. I thought that this section would be the best place to post something like this.
DarkFire4114

Re: Hello Again

Postby StefanP.MUC » 06 Sep 2011, 09:58

Hi,

what happened? Probably the biggest invisible change are code refactorings (more logic structure, less bug prone, more modern, ...), clean up tasks on the git repository (making the code and files more readable and easier for newbies to get int othe prject), adding documentation (doxygen and readme file, guidelines on the wiki, ...) and roadmaps (concepts, including concept art, ...).

Feature-wise we are currently implementing AngelScript scripting support, multilanguage support, an AI framework, a new GUI design, a better ingame console and some updates to our graphics system (normal maps, better lightning, some new models, ...) and working out a generalized file format for creature and object definitons.

We soon will have a better website (more clean and informative entry point for both, players and devs, including a blog).

And yes, of course, everyone providing a helping hand is welcome. ;) So, if you want to help: select a tasks that gives you the most fun and start making it. :D

Thanks in advance. :)
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 06 Sep 2011, 10:56

Hello.

I wasn't here either when the two projects were looking into cooperating.
Firstly, andrewbuck is currently inactive, but the project is still moving forward.

I am not quite sure what you define as being inside the development team, besides having git/svn access, which might not be that important unless you are creating media or code, there isn't really an "inside". Most things are decided here on the forums, and there aren't any hidden sections. If you want to get involved in any way, you are welcome.
oln

Postby charlie » 06 Sep 2011, 12:56

Hi DarkFire. OpenDungeons is a meritocracy. If you work on the project in a cooperative way, you'll become part of the development team. There's no official roles/titles.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Danimal » 06 Sep 2011, 13:02

Are you good with code? if so you could put many placeholders for creatures so the beta get spiced up until we get final models. Also as soon as im doing with exam we are putting a request on OGA for models. Concept art would be good for it.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 06 Sep 2011, 14:30

I created most of the history/lore with further help by Bodsda and Keldaryth. If you want to help out that will be neat :) I am currently working on a exam, but after the 14'th of September I will have time. I am currently working on concept art for the Construct faction. If you have ideas for units and is able to draw then please make some concept art :)

Welcome back :)

This part explains the idea of meritocracy pretty well. If I recall correctly there is another word for it, but I cannot remember it :S but the idea in that word is: "the more you contribute the more influence you have over the project", which of course should be obvious in a anarchistic project/process like an open source project.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby DarkFire4114 » 06 Sep 2011, 19:02

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:Hi,

what happened? Probably the biggest invisible change are code refactorings (more logic structure, less bug prone, more modern, ...), clean up tasks on the git repository (making the code and files more readable and easier for newbies to get int othe prject), adding documentation (doxygen and readme file, guidelines on the wiki, ...) and roadmaps (concepts, including concept art, ...).

Feature-wise we are currently implementing AngelScript scripting support, multilanguage support, an AI framework, a new GUI design, a better ingame console and some updates to our graphics system (normal maps, better lightning, some new models, ...) and working out a generalized file format for creature and object definitons.

We soon will have a better website (more clean and informative entry point for both, players and devs, including a blog).

I see. So it seems like you've made a significant amount of progess, that's good.

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:And yes, of course, everyone providing a helping hand is welcome. ;) So, if you want to help: select a tasks that gives you the most fun and start making it. :D

Thanks in advance. :)

Most if not all tasks that I can help with I already do find enjoyable. I don't know if this is odd or not but I also enjoy working with numbers a bit when it comes to stats.

oln {l Wrote}:Hello.

I wasn't here either when the two projects were looking into cooperating.
Firstly, andrewbuck is currently inactive, but the project is still moving forward.

That's unfortunate that he's inactive, but I'm sure he's probably busy with real life things.

oln {l Wrote}:I am not quite sure what you define as being inside the development team, besides having git/svn access, which might not be that important unless you are creating media or code, there isn't really an "inside". Most things are decided here on the forums, and there aren't any hidden sections. If you want to get involved in any way, you are welcome.

Ah, I must have gotten too used to being in all kinds of secret discussions on the WftO team.

Danimal {l Wrote}:Are you good with code? if so you could put many placeholders for creatures so the beta get spiced up until we get final models. Also as soon as im doing with exam we are putting a request on OGA for models. Concept art would be good for it.

Unfortunately I do not know much, if anything at all, about coding. That's not really my expertise.

How many coders do we have at the moment?

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I created most of the history/lore with further help by Bodsda and Keldaryth. If you want to help out that will be neat :) I am currently working on a exam, but after the 14'th of September I will have time.

I looked through the wiki a bit and saw quite a lot of information about the backstory. I looked through the wiki yesterday morning and the night before, but I was either tired or lacking on time to read too much into it, so I didn't absorb much information and don't recall much of what I read. However, after Thursday, I will have a good oppertunity to read more of what is written, then I'll see if I could help in expanding or revising it to make it better.

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I am currently working on concept art for the Construct faction. If you have ideas for units and is able to draw then please make some concept art :)

I am not the best concept artist, but if given a few hours, I can draw something that is pretty decent. It can be good enough to at least get the point across of what a Creature is supposed to look like. (However I can't draw humans, not sure about my ability to draw machines) Alternatively, I can assist others in the concept art by giving them a detailed description of what something is supposed to look like and it would serve as guidelines for what they're supposed to draw. I can imagine very well what something is supposed to look like but I wouldn't be able to draw it for the life of me.

I am probably better thinking of how certain Units actually function. I can come up with what kinds of stats they have, their abilities, what they will do in the dungeon, etc. Personally, before I attempt to come up with anything new, I would like to see if I could expand information about existing Units that we already have. My reason is because I find it would make it easier to create new and more unique Units if we know where all our current existing Units stand. I can organize information about a Unit very well, here's an example of how I could organize them. It would pretty much be the same organization I use for Suggestion Units in WftO.

What kinds of stats are we going to use for the Units? Are they pretty much the same/similar stats from DK1 or are we not fully sure? What kinds of gameplay mechanics/functions are going to be implimented? Also, I read something about how some Units react to sunlight. Does this mean there is an Overworld planned?

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Welcome back :)

This part explains the idea of meritocracy pretty well. If I recall correctly there is another word for it, but I cannot remember it :S but the idea in that word is: "the more you contribute the more influence you have over the project", which of course should be obvious in a anarchistic project/process like an open source project.

Ah, I didn't really know what that was so thank you for the definition.

Currently, the best time I have to actually work on anything would be between Thursdays and Saturdays. I may be able to provide some help during other days, but it isn't as likely.
DarkFire4114

Postby StefanP.MUC » 06 Sep 2011, 19:14

Currently we only have two main coders:
- oln (mostly working on the "real game" like game mechanics, adding gameplay related features and cleaning up)
- me (mostly working on "side" features like multilang support, scripting support and the console, and also on cleaning up)

I saw that also MCMic did one or two commits, but I'm not sure if he wants to participate more deeply in the future.

We could definitly need more coders. So if andrew comes back somewhere in teh future I think this extremly speed up the development again.

But after we will have the new website up and running we will have new release. And after that my plan is to work on the structure of the website, the wiki and the blog to provide a very clean and informative entry point for interested contributors. I hope we will then find new people that want to help coding and designing.
Last edited by StefanP.MUC on 06 Sep 2011, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
StefanP.MUC

Postby Danimal » 06 Sep 2011, 19:15

Well, as far as i know the lore is a chaos splitted everywhere in the forum, would be nice to see it updated and in just one place.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 06 Sep 2011, 21:31

@DarkFire: your organisation of the creature posts looks good.

The lore/backstory is in the wiki, there is a factions version, an alignment version (obsolete) and the story about the player, so three places, but I plan to merge the faction and alignment backtory pages.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby DarkFire4114 » 07 Sep 2011, 06:54

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:But after we will have the new website up and running we will have new release. And after that my plan is to work on the structure of the website, the wiki and the blog to provide a very clean and informative entry point for interested contributors. I hope we will then find new people that want to help coding and designing.

I see. I definately also hope a more welcoming and organized site makes it easier to allow people to gain interest in the project so that they can contribute.

svenskmand {l Wrote}:@DarkFire: your organisation of the creature posts looks good.

Thank you. On the suggestions forum, while there is a more "official" format for people to use, I actually use my own format which involves all the "values" I use for the stats as well as the color coding for everything. It also involves a bit of info about how I usually organize the paragraphs in sections like the "Behavior in Dungeon".

Before I organize something like that, I would need to know more about the stats we'll end up using and some info about a battle system and how that will end up functioning. Though I'll probably find some of that information if I browse the site a bit more. After my last post, I did see some information mentioning Creature Statistics. (this actually) There only seems to be Health and Damage for battle-related stats. Is this all of the stats we'll be using for battle or is that just what we have at the moment until we expand it? (I find it is a bit too simple at the moment for my own personal tastes, so I hope the answer is the latter)

If it is only stats we have for the moment, then the first task I could do is prepose several ideas of what stats we'll use for battles and give everyone an idea for what battles will be like in a more finalized product of the game. I can probably prepose a very simple battle system like DK2's, a slightly more complex/standtard battle system like DK1, and an even more complex battle system that is more unique. Perhaps I could create a thread about it and people could discuss what they think of each battle system and what we could end up using? If I do end up creating a thread, where would be the best place to put it? Gameplay section I presume?

svenskmand {l Wrote}:The lore/backstory is in the wiki, there is a factions version, an alignment version (obsolete) and the story about the player, so three places, but I plan to merge the faction and alignment backtory pages.

Thank you, I will take a look at it all as soon as I can.
DarkFire4114

Postby svenskmand » 07 Sep 2011, 22:51

The creatures also have spells of course. Also there will also need to be hit percentages for each attack of every creature. Maybe also a percentage of how likely a creature is to dodge certain types of attacks, e.g. melee, missile, spells and traps. Do you think there needs to be more stuff?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby DarkFire4114 » 08 Sep 2011, 00:58

svenskmand {l Wrote}:The creatures also have spells of course. Also there will also need to be hit percentages for each attack of every creature. Maybe also a percentage of how likely a creature is to dodge certain types of attacks, e.g. melee, missile, spells and traps. Do you think there needs to be more stuff?

So in other words, the stats that I saw were only the stats we had for the moment. DK1 used stats for both hitting and dodging Melee Attacks. (Dexterity/Defense) There was nothing regarding a Unit's abilities to dodge Spells or anything, but I think a recharge time for Spells is enough. I'm uncertain about a Unit's ability to dodge Traps as that has a bigger effect compared to a Unit dodging a single Melee Attack. However, if we do want to add something that allows a Unit to possibly avoid triggering a Trap, then we should probably restrict that ability to only certain Units. (Thief-like characters)

I definately think we should add some more stats/battle "stuff" because it not only makes the game more interesting but also gives us more power in what we can do with different Units. I'll get started on getting some ideas for stats and a possible battle system to go along with it. I should get it done and posted by Saturday perhaps.

I would finish it sooner than that but I'm also working on getting an organized list of information regarding the different factions that I gathered from the site and also want to post. This would be good for comparing how each of the different factions function, and should assist in the creation of more factions (I read something about Elves and Mercenaries being discussed as new possibilities) while also allowing every faction to play differently. I'm also going to add some of my own ideas (Don't worry, I'll list them as suggestions so no one gets confused with what's "official" and what's just an idea of mine) about how the different factions should function. Hopefully, the new ideas follow the same/similar direction that each faction is already heading.
DarkFire4114

Postby DarkFire4114 » 18 Oct 2011, 17:28

Urm, just wanted to pop in to say something real quick. I haven't forgotten OpenDungeons, I just got inactive because I got swamped with work. High priority tasks from WftO, school, and some work that needed to be done in some other projects. I'll be gone still, unfortunately. But I hope that once I get some free time, I can come back and try once again to help you all with OpenDungeons.

Good luck to you all, I hope you can make good progress.
DarkFire4114

Postby svenskmand » 18 Oct 2011, 22:46

Thank you. Your welcome back at any time :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator