Something to print debug information in-game,

Something to print debug information in-game,

Postby paul424 » 18 Aug 2015, 18:21

Hello, I have this idea for a longer time , to have something where the debugging information could be presented INGAME. Do you have any propositions ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: Something to print debug information in-game,

Postby Akien » 19 Aug 2015, 09:50

I personally wouldn't really have a use for it as I'm always running OD from a terminal, so I get all the available debug output there.

To get it ingame, I guess there could be a console command that would toggle redirecting the debug output to a CEGUI widget (either the current chatbox, or maybe a separate overlay element, or a separate CEGUI window that could be toggled via a function key).
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Bertram » 20 Aug 2015, 20:06

Hello, I have this idea for a longer time , to have something where the debugging information could be presented INGAME. Do you have any propositions ?

Hey, :)

What would you use it for? I must say I never had a use for it, even for debugging or testing pathfinding.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 24 Aug 2015, 08:07

IMHO, log files are much more usefull as they allow to keep track of what happens. Could you please add an example of why you would use that for ?
hwoarangmy

Postby paul424 » 24 Aug 2015, 17:39

Well the simplest answer is, I want some variable say X to reach some concrete value . Without the preview one cannot be certain that the work is done , when one has teh ability to monitor what happens with X, one can more easily make it reach that value. Also it's easier to map log messages with ones in-game action.
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 24 Aug 2015, 22:01

When I have this kind of need, I usually hack ODFrameListener::printDebugInfo to display what I want and just revert changes when I'm done. In any case, this kind of tweakings should not be pushed to main repository unless they have a use for general debug purpose (like tile coords or turn number, for example, like it is done ATM)
hwoarangmy

Postby paul424 » 24 Aug 2015, 22:31

That's something similar , tough I would like to have scrollable history to look through ( either I could watch history at random or look the top of the logger growing and putting new messages ) ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 25 Aug 2015, 16:04

Having some global object serving for debugging would be nice to have , as creating a custom file for debug info in one class is easy. On the other hand having such a log file which could be shared by many classes is a problem, so I opt for something more sophisticated than that . It could for example also help debugging my culling mechanism ....
paul424
OD Moderator