Dungeons

Dungeons

Postby Skorpio » 21 Sep 2010, 18:44

I just saw this in the last Gamestar magazine: Dungeons

It looks similar to DK, but the game mechanics will be different. I'm not really sure what you have to do in this game, but it seems that you have to lure heroes into your dungeon and then kill them to gain soul energy for your dungeon lord. Therefore you have to build a dungeon that is very attractive for heroes.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Re: Dungeons

Postby TheAncientGoat » 22 Sep 2010, 13:15

Oh yeah, I saw it too, it didn't quiiiite excite me too much though, I can't help but feel that it lacks a certain something...
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 23 Sep 2010, 12:41

Wow Google Translate is terrible: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 17195.html Anybody who understands German and can give a resume what this is about?
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 23 Sep 2010, 20:19

The article is not very informative. I think instead of a RTS game they want to make a management game with some role playing elements. The release date is February 2011.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 23 Sep 2010, 20:23

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Oh yeah, I saw it too, it didn't quiiiite excite me too much though, I can't help but feel that it lacks a certain something...

I think it has too much of something ... too much color. ;) But it still looks nice.

I'm missing some monster hordes in these screenshots.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 28 Jan 2011, 17:08

Dungeons got pretty bad critiques on Gamestar.de. It's more a theme park game than a Dungeon Keeper clone and seems to get boring/frustrating very quickly. There's a demo available, but I'm not interested in playing it atm. So one competitor of OD is out of the race. ;)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 28 Jan 2011, 17:53

i want to try it anyways, its colurfulness is something to take note of... actual beta of OD is just horrible visually...
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 28 Jan 2011, 18:44

Danimal {l Wrote}:i want to try it anyways, its colurfulness is something to take note of... actual beta of OD is just horrible visually...

Compare STK 0.7 to TuxKart. Everything starts somewhere.

Better to have some bad looking visuals (WIP will-be-good) than none at all. ;)
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 29 Jan 2011, 14:15

charlie {l Wrote}:
Danimal {l Wrote}:i want to try it anyways, its colurfulness is something to take note of... actual beta of OD is just horrible visually...

Compare STK 0.7 to TuxKart. Everything starts somewhere.

Better to have some bad looking visuals (WIP will-be-good) than none at all. ;)

I agree, but I think Damial ment that the colorfullness could be a source of inspiration for OD, e.g. DK2 was also very colorfull.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 29 Jan 2011, 14:40

Not really :\ It had colors, but it was dark, muted and grungey
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Danimal » 29 Jan 2011, 15:13

Just like Svend said, i dont want butterflies and rainbows, but you could update a bit the ingame textures so it doesnt look like an early 90s game, i know this a WIP, but DK was way more colourful than what OD is now. Why not dedicate a bit of time updating the demo textures (and music, there lots of good free source ones out there), You know that nice screenshots are what really attracts people not the obscure complexness of the code.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 29 Jan 2011, 17:34

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Not really :\ It had colors, but it was dark, muted and grungey

It is very colorful, see these shots
But as far as I can see the colorfulness of DK2 came mostly from the lighting - which in my opinion gives 90 % of the visual atmosphere. The lighting testing in the current level of OD seems to indicate that we already have capabilities to do this, we only have to place some lights properly to create some atmosphere.

I can try and make a level to test how much atmosphere we can get from the MapEditor, but imo I making a windows installer and making debian/ubuntu packages have higher priority for me right now, also I do not really have much time right now because of my studies, so I have not done much work on OD lately.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 29 Jan 2011, 22:10

If it is going to look appealing, we need models for the rooms that currently have no models. Quite confusing when everything looks the same.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 29 Jan 2011, 23:36

oln {l Wrote}:If it is going to look appealing, we need models for the rooms that currently have no models. Quite confusing when everything looks the same.

True. Will we be using textures to show some room decoration like in DK and DK2 and a few is done using models, or will we only be using models, and then just use textures for the walls and floor?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 30 Jan 2011, 02:20

We have decorations and textures in the rooms now I think. (which looks like red squares and axes respectively at the moment :P)
oln

Postby Skorpio » 30 Jan 2011, 19:56

I think the feature that will boost the graphical quality the most is normal mapping/parallax mapping. The lighting and shading has to be improved as well. Unfortunately I can't do much there, because I'm not a programmer and the normal mapping material scripts and shaders are driving me crazy.

I also wonder if it's somehow possible to stretch textures over several floor/wall tiles, so that we could use texture splatting to get rid of that tiled look.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 30 Jan 2011, 23:23

Skorpio {l Wrote}:I think the feature that will boost the graphical quality the most is normal mapping/parallax mapping. The lighting and shading has to be improved as well. Unfortunately I can't do much there, because I'm not a programmer and the normal mapping material scripts and shaders are driving me crazy.

I also wonder if it's somehow possible to stretch textures over several floor/wall tiles, so that we could use texture splatting to get rid of that tiled look.

That would be cool, like an inverse form of detailed textures :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator