Summer news :)

Re: Summer news :)

Postby Akien » 19 Aug 2014, 09:06

Both icons are looking good, but the second one is kind of cute :-p
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby hwoarangmy » 19 Aug 2014, 09:27

Do you use gimp to merge the icons ? If yes, do you know an easy way to force the position ?
In the image you posted yesterday (and the last one, too), the hatchery icon is a little bit too much on the right and the space between it and the previous is not the same as between the others. Should we change that ?
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 19 Aug 2014, 09:45

I've added the following list of missing icons that I IMHO think we should add: https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons/issues/8
- Cannon trap
- Kobold spawn spell
- Worker creature grabber icon.
- Fighter creature grabber icon.
- Destroy room icon. http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/wrecking-ball.html

Feel free to tell me whether I'm wrong somewhere or missing something.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 19 Aug 2014, 10:33

This time its pretty hard to choose, i nominate these ones:

Most fitting for cannon: http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/cannon.html
Alternative for treaure room?: http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/cash.html
Call to arms spell?: http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/ra ... roops.html

Kobold:
http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/mining.html
http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/slavery-whip.html
http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/terror.html - could work?

Grab warrior: http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/cr ... words.html
Grtab worker: http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/dig-dug.html

Have you guys seem any other that could fit on our currently needed or future needs?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 19 Aug 2014, 10:49

Hi Danimal, :)

Most fitting for cannon: http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/cannon.html
Alternative for treaure room?: http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/cash.html
Call to arms spell?: http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/ra ... roops.html

Ok, I'll add those icons, but note that I won't add buttons for the ones not used yet as it should be done only when the corresponding code is added,
to avoid confusing the player, IMO.

I'll take the first one.

Cool :)

Have you guys seem any other that could fit on our currently needed or future needs?

Sincerely, not yet. I'm more focusing on what is left before doing a release.

regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 19 Aug 2014, 10:53

An internal Ogre3D error ocurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Shield_small.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/sinbad-ogre-dd30349ea667/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)
Internal Ogre3D exception: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Shield_small.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/sinbad-ogre-dd30349ea667/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)
*** ERROR: Internal Ogre3D exception: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Shield_small.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/sinbad-ogre-dd30349ea667/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756

Hello , I keep getting the same error on the development branch , and nothing seems to improve it. I could have recopied that from svn repo , but we planed to have the ready to go media files with the github / development , right ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Akien » 19 Aug 2014, 11:06

paul424 {l Wrote}:
An internal Ogre3D error ocurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Shield_small.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/sinbad-ogre-dd30349ea667/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)
Internal Ogre3D exception: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Shield_small.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/sinbad-ogre-dd30349ea667/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)
*** ERROR: Internal Ogre3D exception: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Shield_small.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/sinbad-ogre-dd30349ea667/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756

Hello , I keep getting the same error on the development branch , and nothing seems to improve it. I could have recopied that from svn repo , but we planed to have the ready to go media files with the github / development , right ?

I don't see any Shield_small.mesh file on the repo indeed, only a reference to it in the CREDITS.
The only reference to it in the code seems to be in the oldTest.level (if I am to trust a search on the repo using the github search feature).

@Bertram: Was this file omitted on purpose during the media import? (if it is actually present on svn, I didn't check)
@Paul: Did you try cleaning your cmake cache (i.e. build in a clean directory)?
Akien

Postby Bertram » 19 Aug 2014, 11:13

Hi,

@Bertram: Was this file omitted on purpose during the media import? (if it is actually present on svn, I didn't check)

Nope, the goal was to get a complete repo, sincerely.
The weird thing is that I can load the oldTest level just fine. I confirm the Shield_small is referenced in the oldTest level and should be readded in the models/ folder asap, though.
I'll have a look at this asap.

@Paul: Are you able to load any other level than the oldtest.level? The TestSinglePlayerSmall.level should bring you no trouble for instance.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 19 Aug 2014, 11:20

@Paul: Well, I can find the Shield_small.mesh file nowhere. Neither on the media source, nor in the old svn repo. So, IMHO, either you had the problem before with the former git repository, or you have files we don't have.

Could you give us the missing model file, or shall I put the equipment parameter back to 'none'?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 19 Aug 2014, 15:31

All icons upgraded and new ones added as requested:
OpenDungeonsIcons.png

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Akien » 19 Aug 2014, 15:39

Bumping howarangmy's question for Bertram:

hwoarangmy {l Wrote}:Do you use gimp to merge the icons ? If yes, do you know an easy way to force the position ?
In the image you posted yesterday (and the last one, too), the hatchery icon is a little bit too much on the right and the space between it and the previous is not the same as between the others. Should we change that ?

I guess it would be best to have all icons organised along a grid of 56x56 px elements, so that the location of a given icon can easy be computed for extraction (though I don't know how the tilesets are used exactly, but I guess there's a way to specify to OGRE to use a subset of the image for each icon, using its absolute coordinates, width and height?).
Akien

Postby Bertram » 19 Aug 2014, 15:46

Akien {l Wrote}:Bumping howarangmy's question for Bertram:

hwoarangmy {l Wrote}:Do you use gimp to merge the icons ? If yes, do you know an easy way to force the position ?

I guess it would be best to have all icons organised along a grid of 56x56 px elements, so that the location of a given icon can easy be computed for extraction (though I don't know how the tilesets are used exactly, but I guess there's a way to specify to OGRE to use a subset of the image for each icon, using its absolute coordinates, width and height?).

Oops, I didn't see that one, sorry. The best way to setup a correct position whatever the image is, is to open the imageset file with CEED and visually center the resource position.

But yeah, indeed, the file needs to get better organized, even if, beware, there are icons with different size here. We'll have to find a common denominator first.
Then, every resources will have to be fixed. It's not that long to do, especially on CEED.

@hwoarangmy: Feel free to drop something even not perfect for the hatchery and I'll handle the organisational fix afterward in a second pull request.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 19 Aug 2014, 15:49

Bertram {l Wrote}:Oops, I didn't see that one, sorry. The best way to setup a correct position whatever the image is, is to open the imageset file with CEED and visually center the resource position.
I've add a look in Gimp and it doesn't sound too complicated to do with it. But for having used it a bit, sometimes, things that seems simple are much more complicated than expected :)

Bertram {l Wrote}:@hwoarangmy: Feel free to drop something even not perfect for the hatchery and I'll handle the organisational fix afterward in a second pull request.
Ok. Then I will use the first icons you posted.
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 19 Aug 2014, 15:53

I've add a look in Gimp and it doesn't sound too complicated to do with it. But for having used it a bit, sometimes, things that seems simple are much more complicated than expected :)

I can understand that. :) Good luck.

Ok. Then I will use the first icons you posted.

On the contrary, please use the latest file if possible. :)
After all, all the requested icons by Danimal are there.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 19 Aug 2014, 16:10

Bertram {l Wrote}:On the contrary, please use the latest file if possible. :)
In this one, almost every icon size has changed so the imageset has to be adapted. Have you already done that ? Or should I give a try ?
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 19 Aug 2014, 16:18

In this one, almost every icon size has changed so the imageset has to be adapted. Have you already done that ? Or should I give a try ?

??? When redoing the icons, I pasted them on a layer above the former ones to make sure they were at the same place. And their size were identical.
I gave it a try with the latest win build available, and AFAIK, only the cannon icon seems a bit off to the right.

I'll recheck tonight.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 19 Aug 2014, 16:30

Bertram {l Wrote}:??? When redoing the icons, I pasted them on a layer above the former ones to make sure they were at the same place. And their size were identical.
I had downloaded the image from the forum and it seems like it had been set to 400x400. But when I open it bigger and download it, it comes to 512x512. That's why I was seeing differences. Ok, then I will use this one. Thanks.
hwoarangmy

Postby Akien » 21 Aug 2014, 17:39

I chose a topic randomly for some off-topic: just to notify our github power users that I changed my github nickname from akien-mageia to akien-mga, I was a bit bothered by the fact that the "oh no my nickname is already taken" suffix was longer than my actual nickname (and I'm still angry at that other akien who registered a github account 3 years ago for nothing ;) ).

It shouldn't have impacted much, apart from @akien-mageia references that should be broken now, and clones of my OD fork if you added mine as a remote. Commits logs and so on were correctly updated.
Akien