Github & data along source code

Re: Github & data along source code

Postby Akien » 29 Jul 2014, 21:21

Bertram {l Wrote}:The remaining question is whether we should keep the history for the mediaSource/ part.

I think not but the decision should rather be yours, IMO.

It's true that keeping history is not necessarily relevant for the mediaSource part. As you said, it will make the repository bigger (especially since media source file are most likely heavy).

Generally speaking it's good to keep history, but it's mostly useful for source code, so that you can browse back to a previous state and understand how things were coded/find back deprecated code bits that you want to reintroduce and rework, etc. But for art assets, I don't know how relevant it is to artists, and if it would be used at all.
And as long as the Sourceforge SVN repository will be up, it will still be able to browse through the history if need be.

So as you said, it would be the artist's call as to whether the history should be kept in the github repo, or if it should be started anew (with proper credits about the various assets of course).
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Bertram » 30 Jul 2014, 10:24

Thanks for your support Akien.

Danimal, willing to take this difficult (or not) decision? ;)
Could you get access to SVN, btw?
Ah, and we'll need to list the asset and check their licenses as Akien said.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 30 Jul 2014, 13:09

I think the safest is to let SVN as it is, clone to Github and do the clean there. But i certainly cant answer about historials, its better you guys decide the best. Anyways, I dont have access to svn yet.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 30 Jul 2014, 14:08

Hmm, well, ok, I'll take the responsibility not to take the history and will try to start listing all the asset in some author file.

SVN will remain so we're safe for now if I'm wrong. If someone disagrees, time to tell it. ;)
It should be done this evening. then you'll be able to clone it and play with all that. If in need of help, there are plenty dev guys around, including me. :)

Regards
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Akien » 30 Jul 2014, 17:03

Bertram {l Wrote}:Hmm, well, ok, I'll take the responsibility not to take the history and will try to start listing all the asset in some author file.

SVN will remain so we're safe for now if I'm wrong. If someone disagrees, time to tell it. ;)
It should be done this evening. then you'll be able to clone it and play with all that. If in need of help, there are plenty dev guys around, including me. :)

Just so that we know what we're speaking of, I just started an import of the SVN repo into a github test repo, I'll report back how big it is with the history.

Edit: I tried an SVN import using github's integrated too, but it seems not to import the commits prior to the creation of the branches/trunk structure (I guess it imports trunk/ as master and the branches as git branches when it finds such a structure, regardless of what was the root directory prior to the create of the trunk/ folder. So let's proceed with the no history git repo :-)
Akien

Postby Bertram » 31 Jul 2014, 10:38

The media source repository is now initialized.

You can now clone it: https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDun ... dia-source

I've added a readme and a credit file listing each and every file in it. We'll have to set the author and the corresponding license.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby oln » 31 Jul 2014, 11:14

My github account name: oyvindln
oln

Postby Bertram » 31 Jul 2014, 12:38

You're now part of the dev team, oln. Welcome (back). :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby oln » 31 Jul 2014, 12:55

I tested the game again, it built fine, but the "-std:c+11" compiler variable did not get set for some reason, even though it was in the cmakelists.txt file. Worked fine when I set it manually in the cmake gui though.

The game crashed when I tried to expand my dormitory (build new next to the old one). I think it was in the room constructor, but I managed to close the terminal window so I don't remember.
oln

Postby Akien » 31 Jul 2014, 13:21

oln {l Wrote}:I tested the game again, it built fine, but the "-std:c+11" compiler variable did not get set for some reason, even though it was in the cmakelists.txt file. Worked fine when I set it manually in the cmake gui though.

I can reproduce this with gcc 4.9.1 too. Maybe the order of the CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS arguments is important? The "-std=c+11" is defined first, and then come some other arguments; I'll try to play around with it and see if changing the order fixes the issue (or if the argument is lost in a later redefinition of the CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS argument).
Akien

Postby Bertram » 31 Jul 2014, 15:34

Hi,
I tested the game again, it built fine, but the "-std:c+11" compiler variable did not get set for some reason, even though it was in the cmakelists.txt file. Worked fine when I set it manually in the cmake gui though.

This is an old question. The fact is certain variable are only correctly set after the project statement is set in the cmake script. Thus I first tried to put that statement at the beginning of the script and this fixed the setting c++11 to me, but seems to break the cmake invocation on other machines, such as Paul's.
Could you guys try the same and tell me?

The game crashed when I tried to expand my dormitory (build new next to the old one). I think it was in the room constructor, but I managed to close the terminal window so I don't remember.

Yep, it was there since some time now, and I didn't fixed that one yet. It's part of my code simplification on the quarters room. Hopefully soon (tm) ;)

I also encountered a crash when the creature are trainging but I cannot tell much. I should have noted the back trace, sorry. :S

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 31 Jul 2014, 16:44

oln {l Wrote}:The game crashed when I tried to expand my dormitory (build new next to the old one). I think it was in the room constructor, but I managed to close the terminal window so I don't remember.
I have also seen this and I am currently investigating. I will tell when I see something.
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 31 Jul 2014, 17:06

Hi hwoarangmy,

If you're working on the dormitory, I just wanted you to know that I wanted sooner or later make it so the bed room objects aren't deleted and recreated each time you change the room size. This might help avoid this crash by design as I suspect it is linked to it. If you're willing to do it, I won't mind of course.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 31 Jul 2014, 17:15

Bertram {l Wrote}:If you're working on the dormitory, I just wanted you to know that I wanted sooner or later make it so the bed room objects aren't deleted and recreated each time you change the room size. This might help avoid this crash by design as I suspect it is linked to it. If you're willing to do it, I won't mind of course.
That's what I was planning to do. It's good you say that because I was going to ask if it was an accepted behaviour. :)
hwoarangmy

Postby hwoarangmy » 31 Jul 2014, 20:05

Akien {l Wrote}:The "-std=c+11" is defined first
I use windows with MinGW so it might be different but to compile the game, i use flag "-std=gnu++11". That may help...
hwoarangmy

Postby Akien » 19 Aug 2014, 16:52

For those who are having a hard time with git, here's how our repo looks like in gource:
Attachments
od-repo-gource.jpeg
Git repo in gource
Akien

Postby Bertram » 19 Aug 2014, 21:09

Cool!:)
Bertram
VT Moderator