Sourceforge: Git branches that can be deleted

Sourceforge: Git branches that can be deleted

Postby Bertram » 14 Jun 2014, 14:03

Hi everyone,

I took the time a bit earlier to have a look at the code in the other git branches on sourceforge, to see what could be merged back, before I start proposing putting some source files in their own sub-folder, as discussed earlier with oln.

After a somewhat thorough review, I do think the branches listed below can be deleted for the reasons given each time:
(This will permit to have a cleaner playground for the team, IMHO.)

- Rooms/
The branch has been merged in development/ and the code is now obsolete due to recent addition to the room code.

- windows/
The branch has also been merged back to development/.

- tiles/
The branch is representing some early work on the tile culling algorithm and the development branch is much better than this one, thanks to Paul.

- tile2/
This is somewhat the most twisted branch as it involves work on the culling algorithm, the splitting of the console command out of the ODFrameListener, and work on the minimap, including the libmagick+ library.
Fortunately, the work on the culling algorithm is in better shape on the development branch, the split of the console command has been merged back on development/ and the minimap code obsolete thanks to MCMic's latest patches for the minimap. I must also say I'm not fond of adding the libmagick+ library to the dependency list of OD, anyway.

- broken/
A more recent branch which include work on XML files (not code) mostly, AngelScript, the camera manager, ...
To me, all the work here has been merged back to development/ except for the few patches that broke the game, namely: The renumeration of tile types, which have since been reverted.

- better_exceptions/
This branch is mostly about adding better exceptions (as you may have guessed ;]) which has been merged back to development/ and about the small event system snippet which is also in development in devel_tools/

This branch seems to have code not in the development branch:

- xml/
There is some work here toward the integration and use of tinyXML2. The work done is very slight, though. The changes are very few and I don't know whether we can consider this obsolete or not.

Paul, Oln, could you guys tell me whether I'm wrong somewhere here? Once we agree about certain branches being useless or duplicate, I'll delete them to avoid cluttering the repo with useless and confusing stuff.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Re: Sourceforge: Git branches that can be deleted

Postby paul424 » 14 Jun 2014, 14:17

The branches which are already merged , and not used could be deleted if you wish so much , so delete :
    - windows/
    - tiles/
    - tile2/
    - Rooms/

- better_exceptions/
: This was started by a guy Smilex, but he quickly resigned from part. in OD as he was busy with RL .

Also with git you are deleteing the tag branches , not commit blobs. There is some command for that to clear orphaned nodes out.
Donno if branch broken was created by me to have a branch for code which does not work or compile . :D
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 14 Jun 2014, 14:25

The rooms and windows branches are ancient, and can be removed safely.

I don't know too much about the newer branches, but I would assume it would be OK to delete the other branches that have been merged / are obsolete if they haven't seen any activity in a while.
oln

Postby Bertram » 14 Jun 2014, 14:51

Hi,

Ok, so I can already delete:

- rooms
- windows
- tiles/
- tile2

IMHO, I can delete better_exceptions/ and broken/ safely, too.

Also with git you are deleteing the tag branches , not commit blobs. There is some command for that to clear orphaned nodes out.
Donno if branch broken was created by me to have a branch for code which does not work or compile . :D

Eh. :) Well, code that doesn't work or compile should never be pushed voluntary in the first place, right?
I guess you're talking about those commands?
- git gc
- git filter-branch
- git reflog

Here is a good link about this:
http://stevelorek.com/how-to-shrink-a-g ... itory.html

Yet, I'd like to see this cleaned up a bit and in shape, before we start more agressive stuff.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 14 Jun 2014, 15:04

Ok remorve those two : better_exceptions/ and broken/ as well .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 15 Jun 2014, 19:53

It's done!
Bertram
VT Moderator