More debuginfo for user and programmer

Re: More debuginfo for user and programmer

Postby paul424 » 10 Jun 2014, 23:21

Naah you could have at list mention the code how to create a new SVN branch,

Well, how am I supposed to know you need this?

So, please create the forking branch from the revision r291 , and name it 'paul424' integration, I would be very thankful ... :) .
I don't konw even how to snap for those files using valid svn commands . Yeap SVN can be very irritating ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 11 Jun 2014, 08:55

Hi,

I don't konw even how to snap for those files using valid svn commands . Yeap SVN can be very irritating ....

Yeah, SVN is somewhat treacherous sometimes...

So, please create the forking branch from the revision r291 , and name it 'paul424' integration, I would be very thankful ... :) .

Ok. Do you want the media/ only or also the mediaSource/ ?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 11 Jun 2014, 11:59

no , only media please ...
tom@oberon:~/Opendungeons_media/build> svn copy -r 291 https://svn.code.sf.net/p/opendungeons/ ... calc/trunk \ https://svn.code.sf.net/p/opendungeons/ ... alc-branch -m "Creating a private branch of /calc/trunk."
svn: E200007: Source and destination URLs appear not to point to the same repository.

No idea what went wrong , also the
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
svn checkout -r r291  https://svn.code.sf.net/p/opendungeons/svn/media
does not jump to the aforementioned revision , instead I keep getting files from the top -- r293 !!!!!!!!
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 11 Jun 2014, 21:00

I've got my hands tied for a second day,
Now I move everything to /trunk subdir,
from which I could branch paul424_integration ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 11 Jun 2014, 21:21

Well, you just ask me to do job, so shall I, or not??
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 11 Jun 2014, 21:50

No, please let me finish what I have started :)
Don't be angry, it;'s not I don't appreciate your help in many situations , just in this one particular case ,someone on freenode was so nice to direct me how to reform the svn repository and safely branch from required revision :) ,
EDIT : also don't be angry with me , I didn't know how time and effort consuming ti is to move all that to /trunk , hopefully I won't break anything.
Are you ok with that ?
Regards,
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 11 Jun 2014, 22:42

Yep, I'm ok. I just hope we won't lose some history along the way.
I'm not angry, don't worry.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 12 Jun 2014, 09:08

Nice SVN change. :)
Thanks for the trunk / branches creation, it makes things clearer.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot: I think there are missing files in your git integration branch. I mean I think you didn't revert the reverted patches there, for instance.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 12 Jun 2014, 19:09

Bertram , could you explain why svn switch and svn up is so terribly slow ?
It seems it tottaly depends on external online repo , so it takes long time in here to do anything :( .
Everyone keeps having requirements how I should use SVN repo , but when it comes to configuring everyone is silent ... >_>
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 12 Jun 2014, 21:59

I've not tried to play with a SVN repo yet but I tried github and it's not hard. Why don't you fork Bertram's Github then work there ?
hwoarangmy

Postby paul424 » 12 Jun 2014, 22:05

Yeah, I have also my private branch with git ...
Maybe I should start tracing my media content with git. Yeap, I wanted to be hyper - correct , and use the SVN, but seems my nerves are too weak for that ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 12 Jun 2014, 22:51

Bertram , could you explain why svn switch and svn up is so terribly slow ?
It seems it tottaly depends on external online repo , so it takes long time in here to do anything :( .
Everyone keeps having requirements how I should use SVN repo , but when it comes to configuring everyone is silent ... >_>

Ah well, forums are forums, you can't expect the answer to come right away, right?

IMO, to avoid this problem, you should then use two different local checkouts. One for the common trunk, one for you private branch.

Maybe I should start tracing my media content with git.

Or this. Seems everyone's happy with using git with merged media files. Join th club! ;)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 15 Jun 2014, 20:35

Today some old files re-appeared in my branch like ghost. Looks like OD , like an old castle , contains many mysteries already ...
So, please try what I already have at paul424-intergration .
Type 'ChannelDebugEnable" 'ChannelDebugDisable' : color of the channel .
So far only blue and red are programmed .
Mild critic welcome, cause it is very early iter of that feature.
EDIT : Have you ever thought of having your branch at sourceforge, so for others there are no >>hidden<< branches :http://sourceforge.net/p/opendungeons/git/ci/paul424-integration/tree/
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 15 Jun 2014, 22:00

Hi :)

EDIT : Have you ever thought of having your branch at sourceforge, so for others there are no >>hidden<< branches :http://sourceforge.net/p/opendungeons/git/ci/paul424-integration/tree/

Well, as I've stated before, having separated game data and code is painful to me, and github has got much better web-based tools to make reviews, merge code and so on.
Plus, you can easily fork, clone, fetch or pull from our repos (hwoarangmy's MCMic, and mine) just like any other:
Eg. fetching from mine:
git fetch http://github.com/Bertram25/OpenDungeons.git development

Today some old files re-appeared in my branch like ghost. Looks like OD , like an old castle , contains many mysteries already ...
So, please try what I already have at paul424-intergration .
Type 'ChannelDebugEnable" 'ChannelDebugDisable' : color of the channel .
So far only blue and red are programmed .
Mild critic welcome, cause it is very early iter of that feature.

Ok, I'll try asap. :)
@oln, hwoaragnmy, MCMic, could you guys have a look as well?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 17 Jun 2014, 18:04

For what we have now, the appendText() we use is quite slow -- linear to the number characters already pushed in the widget, slowing down the FPS . I have some workaround in mind, but could you tell what do you think of overall code quaility ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 19 Jun 2014, 20:59

Code review:

Thanks for all the indentation, code style fixes and headers addition. :)

in CMakeLists.txt
+    ${SRC}/ChannelDebug

^ Oops, typo.

Why did you committed the gui/ folder in there?
What are the difference between that one and the common one?

- Why are you naming the channeldebug with color names? Shouldn't we define things more straightforward, such as culling, video, audio, ... ?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 19 Jun 2014, 21:34

Why did you committed the gui/ folder in there?

What are the difference between that one and the common one?

Well the MultilineEditorbox has been coloured to white , so it's background could be changed during runtime.
And also I modified OpenDungeons.looknfeel for that.

- Why are you naming the channeldebug with color names? Shouldn't we define things more straightforward, such as culling, video, audio, ... ?

Naah , I wanted to have the channel names as abstract as possible , because in future we won't or don't want separate or common channel for this or that ( video, audio ) .
In the end colors were better names than numbers, plus you know which window is which , just by looking at it's color :D .
( The same applies after the program quit, when you look for logs , was this value printed in first of seventh channel ? More likely you would remember window background.
We can than agree on tradition which channels go to what kind of debuginfo, and by this maybe we could give tips how things should be managed even for the game parts
we don't have.
If you don't like it veeery much , I can resign from such names in the end .

Regards,
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 19 Jun 2014, 21:38

Well the MultilineEditorbox has been coloured to white , so it's background could be changed during runtime.
And also the OpenDungeons.looknfeel for that.

Ah, ok. I'll have a look.

Naah , I wanted to have the channel names as abstract as possible , because in future we won't or don't want separate or common channel for this or that ( video, audio ) .
In the end colors were better names than numbers, plus you know which window is which , just by looking at it's color :D .
( The same applies after the program quit, when you look for logs , was this value printed in first of seventh channel ? More likely you would remember window background.

I'm fine with using windows colored background and all, but how would you want to group log, for instance in that case?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 19 Jun 2014, 21:42

EDIT : The monochromatic colors would go for group logs.
Black for all opened logs,
White always empty ( at least in the development branch :D ) .
There should be special command like
 redirectChannels  silver <- orange blue yellow
or similar ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 20 Jun 2014, 09:08

There should be special command like

I'd rather have sane defaults than adding some obscure command about redirect logs into one another.
I can't see a case where you want to redirect some channel if you created them sanely in the first place.

Please don't over-engineer things, we all haven't got the time to fully implement that, and OD isn't about making a super integrated console,
but about making creature dig ground and fight each others, right?

Having different debug channels is more than enough already, IMO.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 24 Jun 2014, 19:38

OK , could you tell what is stopping us from merging that into the development branch ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 24 Jun 2014, 21:57

Nothing. It's just I want to merge it myself once I've got some dev's ok.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 13 Dec 2014, 11:25

EDIT : UNBURING THIS POST ;

NAAH I just recalled -- I was implementing that to debug my culling , but than you started to rise the difficulties and moved to github, so I never finished it ... ;( ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 13 Dec 2014, 15:20

NAAH I just recalled -- I was implementing that to debug my culling , but than you started to rise the difficulties and moved to github, so I never finished it ... ;( ....

I guess this is directed toward me, I presume? :lol:

Yes, it was the time when I started pointing the different problems we had in the code and in the workflow. But I only moved to github following the consensus. And nothing is gonna make me regret it when I see all the good things that were added since then, and the cool team that gathered there. :)

Now I can understand you complaining about me and the fact that you couldn't do the things your usual way, but I won't apologize for being against seeing unfinished code integrated.

Again, if you want to work on your multi-channel debug feature, you're free to do stuff as you wish, but before we add this in the main repo, I'll ask for a vote from the whole team on whether we add it or not.
Also, as far as I can see, the vote on keeping or dropping the custom culling management is set, and the beast shall be dropped for now. This means that if you want to keep the code and try to prove us wrong, I'd advise you to fork now and upgrade the code there so we can test. This is a viable piece of advice for both features you want to work on btw.

Back to work! ;)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 13 Dec 2014, 23:37

paul424 {l Wrote}:NAAH I just recalled -- I was implementing that to debug my culling , but than you started to rise the difficulties and moved to github, so I never finished it ... ;( ....
Well, from what I've seen, there were much more pros than cons when moving to github. Not only because the system is better (having issues and pull requests/commits in the same tool is just great!) but also because it makes easy for someone to review someone else's work. That avoids uploading half finished stuff like there was plenty.
But concerning your problems with github, to be honest, I don't understand what the problem is. If I've understood correctly, you have problems with CEGUI ? But if it is the case, I don't see the difference between now and before (or maybe something related to the makefiles ?)

But if you take a little bit of time to get used to github (it's not difficult and Akien did a nice job here to explain how to use it)
https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons/pull/370

To summarize(that would be nice to add it in the wiki I guess) - I assume you already have the git tools:
- Create a github account if you don't have any
- Go to https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons and clic on the "Fork" button (After a few seconds, you will have a copy of OD repository in your account)
- In your computer, clone your own fork. If your login is tom, you shoud use: "git clone https://github.com/tom/OpenDungeons.git od-src" (that will download all the OD sources in a "od-src" folder)

After the sources are downloaded, you can compile the game and play with the sources. If you do something you want to share, just create a commit (I usually use git gui for that as it shows the changes as the files are added in the commit).
Once you are happy with your commit, you should always update your repo with the main one by doing:
- "git pull --rebase git://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons.git development"
If there are conflicts, you can fix them by using a merge tool:
- "git mergetool" and, once the conflicts are resolved "git rebase --continue"
Check that your patch is still working by re-building the sources and testing (because a commit from someone else might have broken something you have done)

If your patch works, you can upload everything to your own repo:
- "git push -f origin development"

If you look at your github account, on your fork of OD, you should see "This branch is X commits ahead of OpenDungeons:development" (X behing the number of commits you have done). But make sure you are not X commits behind OpenDungeons:development (that would mean that you have not rebased or that another PR has been merged since you rebased).
Then, you can click on the green button with 2 arrows to create a pull request. After it is created, someone will have a look at what you've done, test it, discuss it and if it is ok, merge it into the main branch :)

From time to time, if your PR takes time, you can update your repo with the main one (to avoid too many conflicts when you will be done). To do that, just commit the changes you want to keep and rebase:
- "git pull --rebase git://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons.git development"
If there are conflicts, you can fix them by using a merge tool:
- "git mergetool" and, once the conflicts are resolved "git rebase --continue"
Then, edit your last commit (if you are still working on it) or create another one.

If someone sees a problem in your PR and you want to change something, you just have to create a new commit and update your own repo:
- "git push -f origin development"
Your PR will be automatically updated with the commit.
Note that once you have added a commit in a PR, you should never edit it. If you want to fix something, just create another commit.
hwoarangmy