More debuginfo for user and programmer

More debuginfo for user and programmer

Postby paul424 » 28 May 2014, 23:50

AS in topic , donno where the most development should go ( BTW : Bertram could you sync the newest changes to origin ] ? With working with the TileCulling algorithm it seems that we can get very little information , during game , after game etc.
What I would like the most :
1) Having the c-*le command of the cursor X Y position ( just import it from the EDITOR Bertram )
2) Having the automatic core dump where the game crashes on Linux .... ( that I get the stacktrace etc at least so I know where the game crashed )
3) And ..... [ fanfares ! ] : Debugging Channels !

We ought to have the system which would manage the abstract set of Channels ( name them yellow, blue , red , orange ) etc .
Each channel can be active or inactive.
The user should be able to on / off channel during game or with configuration .
Also he should be able to decide whether the Channel is going to the Log file ( postmortem ) be printed in separate window in-game or EXTERNAL window in terms of his OS . ( everyone would work with this information according to his preferences and OS he uses ) ....
Of course tradiitionally yellow could be for "game logic" , blue for "game graphics " , red for " game music " , and the Black could be the common sink , talking the info from allothers .
Does anyone like those ideas ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: More debuginfo for user and programmer

Postby paul424 » 29 May 2014, 18:06

paul424
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 29 May 2014, 23:27

Well here I found the qt terminal sample :

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtserialport-terminal-example.html

It would fit that nice, the question is how easily one can build this on Windows OS.
Bertram say something :) ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 30 May 2014, 10:32

Hi :)

1) Having the c-*le command of the cursor X Y position ( just import it from the EDITOR Bertram )

Ah ok, I'll add a command to get the current cursor position on console output/log. Is that what you meant?

2) Having the automatic core dump where the game crashes on Linux .... ( that I get the stacktrace etc at least so I know where the game crashed )

Yes, we need that. +1.

3) And ..... [ fanfares ! ] : Debugging Channels !

Debugging channels can indeed be very useful (VT has got support from them thanks to HoA devs.)
Having different logs for different problems will indeed clear things up a lot, but I'd request debugging channels are merged into a single log file for release mode binaries, so that users wouldn't have to send us 10 files when getting a crash.

I guess you've seen that we already have a Cegui separate log file, and that we're currently merging our log with the ogre log file. What I'd request first is to separate Ogre warning from game logging, would we add a new log channel.

As to add separate window to display the log. I don't know if it's worth the effort, especially on a spare-time project, and by the fact that you can simply open console window and do 'watch <log file>' when in desperate need of up-to-date info on a particular log file.

My two cents.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 30 May 2014, 19:10

( BTW : Bertram could you sync the newest changes to origin ] ?

It's done. The sourceforge repo has got my latest commits + MCMic's ones.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 02 Jun 2014, 00:47

What do you think of >>poisoning << identifier space with :
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
white
gray
silver
black
maroon
red
purple
fuchsia
green
lime
olive
yellow
navy
blue
teal
aqua
orange

So we could write
 channelDebug.log(orange, [](){return " a kuku"; })
; In the end
OR We could even have one global function like
log(orange, [](){return " a kuku"; })

Bertram, say something :)
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 02 Jun 2014, 22:26

Hi,

Well, first of all, using colors as debug channels names is not very straightforward.
What is preventing you from calling the video output channel, the "video output" channel, for instance, instead of some random color?

Now, adding some macros/functions to log easily is all welcome, I'd say. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 02 Jun 2014, 23:34

Heh "Random color"
the idea was that those colors are background colors for window background color when the debug is processing,
so you know what comes from what with a blink of an eye :) .
Also, notice my proposal uses something like lazy evaluation, the function having the debug info wouldn't be computed , if the assigned channel weren't explicitly enabled. I created the first iteration, but forgot to push it -- I'd do that tommorow when I'm back home.
As to windows -- the only hope is CEGUI , because the Qt samples I obtained keep crashing .... Apart Qt there are GTK and wxWidgets as well ( messy doc and lib's repositories here on OpenSuse so no , no ... rather ... ) .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 03 Jun 2014, 09:41

Hi,

Heh "Random color"
the idea was that those colors are background colors for window background color when the debug is processing,
so you know what comes from what with a blink of an eye :) .

Ah, if you mean that. Sure.

Also, notice my proposal uses something like lazy evaluation, the function having the debug info wouldn't be computed , if the assigned channel weren't explicitly enabled. I created the first iteration, but forgot to push it -- I'd do that tommorow when I'm back home.

Could you commit this in another branch? We'll merge this once this is properly tested as it sounds like a big new feature.

As to windows -- the only hope is CEGUI , because the Qt samples I obtained keep crashing .... Apart Qt there are GTK and wxWidgets as well ( messy doc and lib's repositories here on OpenSuse so no , no ... rather ... ) .

Well, I kinda relieved you chose not to add yet another big library to use when compiling this project. Please do not consider adding new libs lightly. OD is already long to compile on windows, for instance...

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 03 Jun 2014, 17:43

I know I'm new on this project and my opinion is not the most accurate but I definitely think that debugging channels would be a big improvment (needed when there will be some beta versions). On windows, there is no output when the executable is launched so being able to output it in a file by default would be nice. And when the game will be played by non developper players, it would be cool to have as few steps as possible for them to send the relevant outputs when they see some bug because if it is too complicated, they will simply not do it.

And for having compiled every library for a few times, I agree that it would be cool to not add another big library, especially for debug purposes :)
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 04 Jun 2014, 08:34

Hi :)

Just to be clear, I do believe every voice counts. So feel free to tell something when you feel it's relevant.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 04 Jun 2014, 11:32

It's quite much effort only to compile and try the frameworks !
However GTK+ 3 ships it's demos in binary forms, for my distro it is gtk3-devel-demos .
Than you could try their demo browser with /usr/bin/gtk3-demo .
There is complete scrolling box :
Automatic scrolling
This example demonstrates how to use the gravity of GtkTextMarks to keep a text view scrolled to the bottom while appending text
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 04 Jun 2014, 11:41

However GTK+ 3 ships it's demos in binary forms, for my distro it is gtk3-devel-demos .
Than you could try their demo browser with /usr/bin/gtk3-demo .
There is complete scrolling box :
Automatic scrolling
This example demonstrates how to use the gravity of GtkTextMarks to keep a text view scrolled to the bottom while appending text

EDIT : Also the games looks nice with the dynamic shadows ! ( I only managed to start stencil modulative technique here on NVIDIA 9200 , we would see what mine >>greater<< system could offer later ... )
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 04 Jun 2014, 12:33

Hi Paul,

Well, let me come clean: It's a clear consensus we don't want new big libraries linked against OD without really strong reasons.

Thus, to make sure nothing weird will happen in the common branch, please do not push anything related to the use of a new framework there.
You can create a new branch if you want, but don't count on me being ok for merging it if it's not relevant to do so in its state or its use, ok?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby oln » 04 Jun 2014, 14:06

Can't you just run in windowed mode and use the terminal to look at the debug info?
oln

Postby paul424 » 04 Jun 2014, 19:54

Can't you just run in windowed mode and use the terminal to look at the debug info?

It's not for me only , it's for the all people in future that they have this nice feature :) .
That would be only for Linux, also how do I put the ostream yellow to separate terminal window, separate from the ones having cerr and cout alrready ?
EDIT: Besides , I was hoping for some tips , what is the largest obstacle to get it running on Winows, and whether those libs cannot be dynamic linked .
EDIT : For what I see here, no additional compilation is required for GTK+, it comes up with binary bundle already : http://www.gtk.org/download/win32_tutorial.php
Regards,
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 05 Jun 2014, 08:12

Well, this time I must say I'm a bit irritated. :(

First of all, thanks for removing my comments at random.

Secondly, I do think I've asked you to push your commits in another branch (even if hopefully this one doesn't hurt the common development yet).
Thirdly, you seem completely unable to follow code guidelines and conventions. Your latest commits don't follow any of those.
And fourthly, since I'm on it, the commit about adding the licensing info should add the file using more common naming conventions, followed by other projects.
At least, creating a License folder is redundant, since we have a licenses/ folder in the media repository already, which is bundled with each zip releases anyway.

I'll push other's work but don't count on me the next few days, I need to do something else and refresh from this, now usual, nonsense of yours.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 05 Jun 2014, 20:18

Paul? You can make mistakes like everyone else, but man, this was one hell of a blunder. Please be careful, there are many persons working at the code besides you.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 05 Jun 2014, 20:44

Well, this time I must say I'm a bit irritated. :(

First of all, thanks for removing my comments at random.

Sorry, as a moderator and starter of that thread I want to compress the post to be as short as possible .

Secondly, I do think I've asked you to push your commits in another branch (even if hopefully this one doesn't hurt the common development yet).

Sorry, I have taken for granted that I must use other branch only after I would start introducing dependency on another lib ( ).
Thirdly, you seem completely unable to follow code guidelines and conventions. Your latest commits don't follow any of those.

Sorry, I never took coloser notice on your code conventions , taking for granted it is the indentation which counts the most. I wll read carefully and apply to what is there from now on, really sorry to irritate you on that , oK :) ?

And fourthly, since I'm on it, the commit about adding the licensing info should add the file using more common naming conventions, followed by other projects.
At least, creating a License folder is redundant, since we have a licenses/ folder in the media repository already, which is bundled with each zip releases anyway.

Sorrty for that as well. The general idea is we can ship OD in source tar gz file , so 'make package_source' would pack this license text which is only in the SVN repos. But maybe that for future when we settle up other things.

I'll push other's work but don't count on me the next few days, I need to do something else and refresh from this, now usual, nonsense of yours.
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 05 Jun 2014, 22:27

Hi,

Well, I took the time to "sleep on it" as we're used to say in French, and I apologize to have been that blunt myself.

But hey Paul, I can understand human mistakes, and bad code from a noob, but you're a seasoned developer. I can't understand you can grasp some advanced object oriented concepts and can't apply some simple code conventions before committing, ignore copyright headers, leave useless debug statements, ...

You're at least as much responsible as the others of this project so I'm indeed asking you to have more care of what you push.

I'd thus request you fork the repo, push commits there and ask the ok of another developer before pushing back to the common branch, just like everyone else does.

Regards,

EDIT:
Sorry, as a moderator and starter of that thread I want to compress the post to be as short as possible .

I believe you about this one.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 08 Jun 2014, 18:17

So , Bertram, if you are good with CEGUI falagards skinning I could only ask you to have a look , int omy branch and try to make MultiLineEditbox's background's color customizable .
I pushed what I have come with to SVN, I can only modify color of the text marker ( >> caret << ) .
BTW: Am I supposed of creating my own SVN branches as well ?
Regards,
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 09 Jun 2014, 03:10

I think Bertram means to work in your own branch on GIT, then get others to check ready code before commit what is agreed on to SVN.

*Paul works in his branch where he can do what he likes*

Paul: "Hey pull this amazing feature from my GIT branch and check it out!"

Other ODers: "Yo Paul dawg that rocks! Could you fix XYZ?"

*Paul fixes XYZ*

Other ODers: "Yo Paul that's top notch work! Push it to SVN."

*paul pushes to SVN*
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Bertram » 09 Jun 2014, 10:20

/me likes charlie's example. :)

Hi Paul,

I know I'm demanding but believe me it's not some evil game I'm playing (even if we're actually coding one, eh.)
Yes, ultimately, you'd need to fork the SVN, or use another branch, for important changes.

If you want, you can also fork my repo on github, and push from that. The github repo has got the data (as you already know), and github's tools to review code make it very easy to talk on specific lines of code, etc.

I don't think your latest commit is hurting though.
Speaking of the multiline edit background control, have we got one visible thing using it already? (So I could test as well?)

Thanks for following the team commit convention. It means something to me. :)

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 09 Jun 2014, 19:09

Naah you could have at list mention the code how to create a new SVN branch,
What it comes to background : I already find how to set them .... , so we can now settle up which colors should be [ unformally ] assigned to which subsystem , if it does bother you.
Black and White ought to be univ console -- To the Black everything goes ( kitches sink :) ) , the white ought to be always empty and ready ( at least in the public code , this one ought to be alwatys ready for the programmer to tinkertoy with ) ...

Also I think there could be at least timestemps : Game time timestemp ( as of seconds from program startup ) and the turn timestamp ( number of turn being played ) ....
This two timestamps of course ought to be on/off via Console .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 09 Jun 2014, 21:02

Naah you could have at list mention the code how to create a new SVN branch,

Well, how am I supposed to know you need this?

What it comes to background : I already find how to set them .... , so we can now settle up which colors should be [ unformally ] assigned to which subsystem , if it does bother you.

Well, it's not bothering me but I have other more interesting tasks on my plate, so feel free to go on if you found out. We all have little spare time.

Also I think there could be at least timestemps : Game time timestemp ( as of seconds from program startup ) and the turn timestamp ( number of turn being played ) ....
This two timestamps of course ought to be on/off via Console .

The two timestamps idea is a good one IMHO. By default, I think you can set them on.
Bertram
VT Moderator