Cmake scipt error ....

Cmake scipt error ....

Postby paul424 » 11 May 2014, 14:03

Nido , or any other Cmake aware dude ; look in here :
On my second machine ( Opensuse 13.1 , i386 ) , the Cmake script runs terrible ; it wrongly computes the path to one of CEGUI libs :
-- /usr/lib/libCEGUIOgreRenderer.so/usr/lib/libCEGUIOgreRenderer.so

No idea , how does it come to that ... in cmake-gui the path is properly choosen ....
I can push config files whatever you would wish .
tom@linux-b3ln:~/Opendungeons/opendungeons> cmake ./
-- Looking for OIS...
-- Found OIS: optimized;/usr/lib/libOIS.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOIS.so
-- Looking for OGRE...
-- Found Ogre Ghadamon (1.9.0)
-- Found OGRE: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgreMain.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgreMain.so
-- Looking for OGRE_Paging...
-- Found OGRE_Paging: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgrePaging.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgrePaging.so
-- Looking for OGRE_Terrain...
-- Found OGRE_Terrain: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgreTerrain.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgreTerrain.so
-- Looking for OGRE_Property...
-- Found OGRE_Property: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgreProperty.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgreProperty.so
-- Looking for OGRE_RTShaderSystem...
-- Found OGRE_RTShaderSystem: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgreRTShaderSystem.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgreRTShaderSystem.so
-- Looking for OGRE_Volume...
-- Could not locate OGRE_Volume
-- Looking for OGRE_Overlay...
-- Found OGRE_Overlay: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgreOverlay.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgreOverlay.so
-- looking for headers
-- Found SFML 2.0 in /usr/include
-- SFML include directory: /usr/include; SFML audio library: /usr/lib/libsfml-audio.so.2 /usr/lib/libsfml-audio.so.2
-- Boost version: 1.49.0
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
-- thread
-- system
-- Plugin path rel: /usr/lib/OGRE
-- Plugin path dbg: /usr/lib/OGRE
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/tom/Opendungeons/opendungeons
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: Cmake scipt error ....

Postby hwoarangmy » 11 May 2014, 17:45

Hi,

Are you using the CMake files with my changes ?

Regards,
hwoarangmy

Postby paul424 » 11 May 2014, 20:10

No man, I use the origin / development branch.
Hello anyway, could you introduce yourself , are you going to help us with OD , for longer ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 11 May 2014, 22:41

paul424 {l Wrote}:No man, I use the origin / development branch.
Good, I was wondering if I had broken something. But in this case, it's not my fault :)

paul424 {l Wrote}:Hello anyway, could you introduce yourself
Sure. I am a coder. I use mostly Java/C/ASP.NET. I want to see deeper into c++ and I like playing so I am looking for an open source game to have a look. I played Dungeon Keeper a long time ago and I few weeks ago, I started to search for an open source project based on this game. That's how I ended up here :)

paul424 {l Wrote}:are you going to help us with OD , for longer ?
I have already played with 3D through Java/OpenGL. I searched for a wide used 3D engine and found that one of the most recurrent was Ogre. Since I though it was better to see a real game than to play with Tutorials, I wanted to see OD sources. I had no time to go through yet but I want to. Concerning my help, I am not used enough to most of the tools in OD so I fear that I wont be of much help before I get used to the code...
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 12 May 2014, 09:20

Hi there, :)

I am not used enough to most of the tools in OD so I fear that I wont be of much help before I get used to the code...

Nonsense. You've already helped us with compilation problem, and once the how-tos are out, you will have proven more useful than I. ;)

@Paul:
Could you tell us the cmake command used to compile OD? Did you try setting the CEGUI Ogre Renderer library parameter? Something like:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
cmake -DCEGUIOGRE_LIBRARIES="/usr/lib/libCEGUIOgreRenderer.so" .

Note that I will merge hwoarangmy's work quite soon, so I think you might need to retry afterward.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 12 May 2014, 17:43

tom@linux-b3ln:~/Opendungeons/opendungeons> cmake -DCEGUI_LIBRARY="/usr/lib/libCEGUIOgreRenderer.so"
-- Looking for OIS...
-- Found OIS: optimized;/usr/lib/libOIS.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOIS.so
-- Looking for OGRE...
-- Found Ogre Ghadamon (1.9.0)
-- Found OGRE: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgreMain.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgreMain.so
-- Looking for OGRE_Paging...
-- Found OGRE_Paging: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgrePaging.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgrePaging.so
-- Looking for OGRE_Terrain...
-- Found OGRE_Terrain: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgreTerrain.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgreTerrain.so
-- Looking for OGRE_Property...
-- Found OGRE_Property: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgreProperty.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgreProperty.so
-- Looking for OGRE_RTShaderSystem...
-- Found OGRE_RTShaderSystem: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgreRTShaderSystem.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgreRTShaderSystem.so
-- Looking for OGRE_Volume...
-- Could not locate OGRE_Volume
-- Looking for OGRE_Overlay...
-- Found OGRE_Overlay: optimized;/usr/lib/libOgreOverlay.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOgreOverlay.so
-- looking for headers
-- Found SFML 2.0 in /usr/include
-- SFML include directory: /usr/include; SFML audio library: /usr/lib/libsfml-audio.so.2 /usr/lib/libsfml-audio.so.2
-- Boost version: 1.49.0
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
--   thread
--   system
-- Plugin path rel: /usr/lib/OGRE
-- Plugin path dbg: /usr/lib/OGRE
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/tom/Opendungeons/opendungeons
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 12 May 2014, 22:54

Could you also post CMakeCache.txt ?
Btw, CEGUI_LIBRARY should be libCEGUIBase.so
It should be CEGUI_OGRE_LIBRARY that should be set to libCEGUIOgreRenderer.so
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 12 May 2014, 23:36

I've pushed Hwoarangmy patches to development.
@Paul, he is right, you'r mixing cegui library and cegui ogre renderer library parameters. Have a look a how the parameters are named and try again.
If you need an example, I'm using this line, for instance:
cmake -DCEGUI_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/home/Projects/cegui-0.8.3/lib/libCEGUIBase-0.so -DCEGUI_OGRE_LIBRARY_RELEASE=/home/Projects/cegui-0.8.3/lib/libCEGUIOgreRenderer-0.so -DCEGUI_INCLUDE_DIR=/home/Projects/cegui-0.8.3/cegui/include/ -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-std=c++11

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 12 May 2014, 23:44

mhm,
Seems you are using those flags. On Linux, I have the GUI wizard , which reads the CMakeList.txt and produces CMakeCache.txt. It's called cmake-gui :)
Well on fist system it works fine ( Opensuse 12.3 ) on the other don't ( OpenSuse 13.1) -- above errors. Didn't know about such flags passing style till know .
Initial idea was to do something with existing scripts, so it works on more systems than it does .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Akien » 13 May 2014, 00:41

paul424 {l Wrote}:mhm,
Seems you are using those flags. On Linux, I have the GUI wizard , which reads the CMakeList.txt and produces CMakeCache.txt. It's called cmake-gui :)
Well on fist system it works fine ( Opensuse 12.3 ) on the other don't ( OpenSuse 13.1) -- above errors. Didn't know about such flags passing style till know .
Initial idea was to do something with existing scripts, so it works on more systems than it does .

If you copied your CMakeCache.txt from OpenSuse 12.3 to OpenSuse 13.1, it might be why it doesn't work. The purpose of CMake is to search for the correct paths on your particular system, and it writes them in CMakeCache.txt. So if the paths changed between OpenSuse 12.3 and OpenSuse 13.1, it could be problematic I suppose.

If you installed the relevant libraries in typical FHS paths, CMake should be able to find everything. If it doesn't, then it probably needs some new improvements to support more configurations.

I just tried running CMake on the development branch here on Mageia Cauldron 64bit. It has trouble finding my CEGUI and CEGUIOGRE libraries, because upstream renamed its libs to CEGUI-0 and CEGUI-0-OGRE. I used pkgconfig to find the relevant libs on Mageia (in /usr/lib64/libCEGUIBase-0.so and /usr/lib64/libCEGUIOgreRenderer-0.so, which are located using pkgconfig(cegui-0) and pkgconfig(cegui-0-ogre).

I also had to tweak the module for SFML, since in Mageia we package both SFML and SFML2, the latter being appended a -2.1 suffix, so the devel libs are in e.g. /usr/lib64/libsfml-system-2.1.so (to be coinstallable with libsfml-system.so that the SFML1.6 package holds).

Here are my changes:
diff --git a/cmake/modules/FindCEGUI.cmake b/cmake/modules/FindCEGUI.cmake
index bbfbcb8..b650ad0 100644
--- a/cmake/modules/FindCEGUI.cmake
+++ b/cmake/modules/FindCEGUI.cmake
@@ -6,8 +6,8 @@
 #  CEGUI_LIBRARIES - link these to use CEGUI

find_package(PkgConfig)
-#pkg_check_modules(PC_CEGUI CEGUI)
-#pkg_check_modules(PC_CEGUIOGRE CEGUI-OGRE)
+pkg_search_modules(PC_CEGUI CEGUI CEGUI-0)
+pkg_search_modules(PC_CEGUIOGRE CEGUI-OGRE CEGUI-0-OGRE)

message(STATUS "looking for headers")
 #TODO - check for ogre renderer
diff --git a/cmake/modules/FindSFML.cmake b/cmake/modules/FindSFML.cmake
index 56da1dc..773ac18 100644
--- a/cmake/modules/FindSFML.cmake
+++ b/cmake/modules/FindSFML.cmake
@@ -87,7 +87,9 @@ SET(SFML_LIBRARY_SEARCH_DIR
 FOREACH(COMPONENT ${SFML_COMPONENTS})
    STRING(TOUPPER ${COMPONENT} UPPERCOMPONENT)
    STRING(TOLOWER ${COMPONENT} LOWERCOMPONENT)
-     
+
+   pkg_search_module(SFML_${UPPERCOMPONENT} sfml-${LOWERCOMPONENT})
+
    FIND_PATH(SFML_${UPPERCOMPONENT}_INCLUDE_DIR
       ${COMPONENT}.hpp
       PATH_SUFFIXES include SFML
@@ -138,7 +140,7 @@ FOREACH(MODE ${SFML_MODE})
       STRING(TOUPPER ${COMPONENT} UPPERCOMPONENT)
       STRING(TOLOWER ${COMPONENT} LOWERCOMPONENT)
       FIND_LIBRARY(SFML_${UPPERCOMPONENT}_LIBRARY${MODE}
-         NAMES sfml-${LOWERCOMPONENT}${_STA}${_DBG}
+         NAMES sfml-${LOWERCOMPONENT}-2.1${_STA}${_DBG}
          PATH_SUFFIXES lib64 lib
          PATHS ${SFML_LIBRARY_SEARCH_DIR}
       )

I think my pkgconfig call to find CEGUI and CEGUIOGRE could work for others (at least Linux users). For the SFML2 libs the pkgconfig call wasn't enough, I had to hack the libname a bit to append my -2.1 suffix, so a better solution would have to be found.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Bertram » 13 May 2014, 08:08

Hi Akien, :)
@@ -6,8 +6,8 @@

find_package(PkgConfig)

I'll try that part. (I have doubts the part on SFML will work on Debian, though. But you it told yourself, something else should be done here).

hwoaragmy, Paul, could you try the given change, too?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Akien » 13 May 2014, 08:22

Bertram {l Wrote}:I'll try that part. (I have doubts the part on SFML will work on Debian, though. But you it told yourself, something else should be done here).

Yes my hack with SFML2 would not work on most distros. Mageia chose to add the -2.1 api tag to the dev libraries, but as far as I know this is not an upstream design choice, we just did it so that it can be installed alongside SFML1.6. I suppose most distros would just have made SFML2 conflict the SFML1.6 package, or simply drop the latter.

Though I think a similar approach with PkgConfig could be used. It was quite late yesterday so I didn't look long into it, but maybe I should just fix Mageia's PkgConfig files for SFML2, so that it finds it dev libraries. I'll have a look at it in the evening.
Akien

Postby Bertram » 13 May 2014, 15:35

Np. It's cool to see the state of CEGUI cmake module improve, though. I wish debian and Ubuntu would have upgraded their packages as well, btw... :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Akien » 13 May 2014, 17:59

Bertram {l Wrote}:
@@ -6,8 +6,8 @@

find_package(PkgConfig)

I'll try that part. (I have doubts the part on SFML will work on Debian, though. But you it told yourself, something else should be done here).

hwoaragmy, Paul, could you try the given change, too?

Actually my patch doesn't seem to work at all, at least it doesn't work anymore here. I'll dig into it some more and try to understand how I should handle pkgconfig with cmake :-)
Akien

Postby paul424 » 13 May 2014, 19:39

Not going to be unkind or something, but what use we would have of running cmake scripts on Mageia , if there ain't any developer working with ti ? I assume you only fix the Mageia to have working Mageia ... or ... you are just courious about our project, right ? EDIT : sorry, no time to test on laptop i386 ( OpenSuse 13.1 ) .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Akien » 13 May 2014, 21:15

paul424 {l Wrote}:Not going to be unkind or something, but what use we would have of running cmake scripts on Mageia , if there ain't any developer working with ti ? I assume you only fix the Mageia to have working Mageia ... or ... you are just courious about our project, right ? EDIT : sorry, no time to test on laptop i386 ( OpenSuse 13.1 ) .

My purpose is not to make it work on Mageia particularly. But I think a good open source project should be easily buildable on every platform that it supports, and to do so the cmake scripts must be adapted to each "normal" configuration. Mageia is one distro among others, but its packaging is quite similar to what other RPM-based distros do; so if OpenDungeons can be easily built on Mageia, it's likely that it will build easily on Fedora too, and probably OpenSUSE and OpenMandriva too.

That's why I'm looking at using pkg-config to locate the headers and libraries. Pkg-config is supposed to be cross-platform and to ease such things; if e.g. Debian want to put CEGUI in a different folder than what upstream proposes, then they will probably edit the pkg-config file included in their CEGUI package so that it points to the right location.

So yes, you're right I'm mostly curious, and I take this as an opportunity to better understand how cmake works. I encounter cmake-based projects a lot in my packaging tasks, and I often have to patch a thing or two, so knowing the tool is useful. And if I can help OD to have better cmake modules, then it's for the best. I'm mostly concerned about making the game easily buildable by end-users. As OD developers you most likely don't used system-wide libraries, so pkg-config is not particularly an improvement for you, but it could be for players who installed CEGUI through their package manager.

To keep it simple, in my opinion, a good cmake buildsystem would work out of the box if a user installed all required dependencies through her package manager and runs "cmake ." or "mkdir build && cd build && cmake ..". But I don't think it's a requirement that it should be that simple for developers, if an important lib is located in /home/akien/wip/myimportantlib/, then it's normal that I should run "cmake -DIMPORTANTLIB_LIBDIR=/home/akien/wip/myimportantlib/ ." :-)

Again, please don't lose time on my patch attempt above, for some reason it worked yesterday, but I think I had forgotten to clean my CMakeCache.txt when I used it, because when I tried today it was simply broken (there's even an obvious typo). I've worked on a really simple FindCEGUI.cmake script based only on pkg-config, to show (and learn at the same time) how it works. I'll post it soon as a proof a concept, so that you know how to use pkg-config to get hints about headers and libraries locations.
Akien

Postby Akien » 13 May 2014, 21:27

Once again, it's just a proof a concept, therefore I tried to keep it as simple as it can be. The following cmake module finds CEGUI and CEGUI-OGRE using pkg-config:
# - Try to find CEGUI and CEGUI-OGRE
# Once done, this will define
#
#  CEGUI_FOUND - system has CEGUI
#  CEGUI_INCLUDE_DIRS - the CEGUI include directories
#
#  CEGUIOGRE_FOUND - system has CEGUI-OGRE
#  CEGUIOGRE_INCLUDE - the CEGUI-OGRE include directories
#  CEGUIOGRE_LIBRARIES - link these to use CEGUI-OGRE

#  Get hints about paths with pkg-config
message(STATUS "Looking for CEGUI and CEGUI-OGRE...")
find_package(PkgConfig)
pkg_search_module(PC_CEGUI CEGUI CEGUI-0)
pkg_search_module(PC_CEGUIOGRE CEGUI-OGRE CEGUI-0-OGRE)

# Find include dirs
find_path(CEGUI_INCLUDE_DIR NAMES CEGUI.h CEGUI/CEGUI.h
          HINTS ${PC_CEGUI_INCLUDEDIR} ${PC_CEGUI_INCLUDE_DIRS})
find_path(CEGUIOGRE_INCLUDE_DIR CEGUI/CEGUI.h
          HINTS $ENV{CEGUIDIR} ${PC_CEGUIOGRE_INCLUDEDIR} ${PC_CEGUIOGRE_INCLUDE_DIRS})

# Find main libraries
find_library(CEGUI_LIBRARY NAMES CEGUIBase CEGUIBase-0
             HINTS ${PC_CEGUI_LIBDIR} ${PC_CEGUI_LIBRARY_DIRS})
find_library(CEGUIOGRE_LIBRARY NAMES CEGUIOgreRenderer CEGUIOgreRenderer-0
             HINTS ${PC_CEGUIOGRE_LIBDIR} ${PC_CEGUIOGRE_LIBRARY_DIRS})

set(CEGUI_LIBRARIES ${CEGUI_LIBRARY})
set(CEGUIOGRE_LIBRARIES ${CEGUIOGRE_LIBRARY})
set(CEGUI_INCLUDE_DIRS ${CEGUI_INCLUDE_DIR})
set(CEGUIOGRE_INCLUDE_DIRS ${CEGUIOGRE_INCLUDE_DIR})

include(FindPackageHandleStandardArgs)
# Handle the results and set CEGUI_FOUND and CEGUIOGRE_FOUND to true if the libs were found
find_package_handle_standard_args(CEGUI DEFAULT_MSG
                                  CEGUI_LIBRARY CEGUI_INCLUDE_DIR)
find_package_handle_standard_args(CEGUIOGRE DEFAULT_MSG
                                  CEGUIOGRE_LIBRARY CEGUIOGRE_INCLUDE_DIR)

I'm no cmake expert, but I'm pretty this would not be enough to work on all supported platforms (for example I have no idea how pkg-config works on Windows or Mac). From what I understood thanks to cmake's howto, pkg-config should be used as a tool to give hints about the library locations, but it can't always be relied on, so it would probably still be useful to add some PATHs and PATH_SUFFIXes as the ones currently in use in OD's FindCEGUI.cmake module.
Akien

Postby Bertram » 14 May 2014, 08:28

Hi Akien, :)

Thanks for sharing.
I'll try your module asap.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 14 May 2014, 15:35

Hello, now the origin/development 's script seems to run fine on this OS 12.3 i586 system . Compiles and run , thanks for all the fixes !
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 15 May 2014, 08:48

Hi Paul,

Hello, now the origin/development 's script seems to run fine on this OS 12.3 i586 system . Compiles and run , thanks for all the fixes !

I didn't apply Akien's CEGUI find module changes yet, would you be able to test it on your own?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Akien » 15 May 2014, 09:23

Bertram {l Wrote}:Hi Paul,

I didn't apply Akien's CEGUI find module changes yet, would you be able to test it on your own?

Please don't commit my find module directly though, as I said it's more of a proof of concept about what can be done using pkg-config. Ideally pkg-config support would be added to the current find module, but without dropping the rest (i.e. keep it as fallback for OSes where OGRE would not be packaged in a way that makes it easy to find by its pkg-config script).
Akien

Postby Bertram » 15 May 2014, 10:29

Sure, I won't commit that as is, Akien. Don't worry. ;)

Yet, I still wanted to know whether Paul's build broke when using your changes about pkg-config. It is a sensitive issue since the start of it, as we've been trying to keep everyone able to keep building OD. And you know how it goes. ;)
Bertram
VT Moderator