OD code misc questions

OD code misc questions

Postby Bertram » 15 Apr 2014, 15:57

Hi all, :)

I'm lacking historical knowledge of this project, that's why I opening this:

- threads:
I don't want to start a flamewar on whether this project should or shouldn't use threads, yet the question remains:
Atm, pthreads are used sparsely all over the project code, mainly to separate different up keep functions in different threads
and overall, handle networing and try to win some speed, I guess.
I won't say "threads are evil" (common dev sentence), but yeah, they are dangerous.

That's why I wanted to ask: Why were they desired in the first place? What is the historical reason?

As for a point of situation about this:
It seems the threads implementation was never actually finished (because the code was tangled enough to prevent this, but also because the effort was stopped in the middle of it.)
and actually, they are functioning only to provide one working client thread, one server thread, one AI thread and one creature up keep thread. One thread per creature and per AI was desired but doesn't work and was disabled in the code for both AI and creatures management. (This means not a lot is threaded finally AFAIK. ODServer::startServer() makes two or three functions be called in separate threads. Functions that could be, IMHO, sequential.)

There is also a few bad things happening because of threads atm:
- The GL renderer plugin for Ogre is crashing at app exit because it is functioning in a threaded environment, from what I could see.
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65997
Might be related to bug #5 in the bug tracker and maybe we can fix this with what is proposed there but I'm not sure.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/opendungeons/ticket/5

- There is a race condition present atm in the creature spawning code, making the game stop in the middle of that sometimes. It is fortunately rare enough.

- The thread management is atm tangled within the components code. I mean we have plenty of semaphore along entities code for instance, and it's hard to be sure when one can access/write some data with or without a semaphore, and without adding a new potential crash within game. I've been lucky so far because I've never pushed things that looks right but breaks the game.

All that is making me think we don't need them, and could easily replace the network part with SFML or SDL, for instance, hiding the network threaded part from us. The rest can be sequential since it is already most of the time.

I don't claim I'm totally right here, and maybe there are things I still don't know that makes the game needs absolutely threads. Yet, I'd like to know whether it would be possible to slowly switch to a client/service based code, and limit the tread use only to the minimum if we can't drop this. what do you think? Feel free to comment! :)

- Flood filling:
I've noticed that in the game map code, there is a flood filling algorithm. An algorithm which "paints" AFAIK tiles of the same type.
My question is what is that needed for? The editor?

- PrefixtreeLL:
The prefixtree class is from what I understood, something that permits to retrieve a word from a dictionnary when you give it only the beginning. Like when pushing the tab in bash commands.
I've got nothing against that. The problem is that the class is not gpled according to the copyright header.
Thus, are the files gpl compatible and how can we prove that? Or can I remove the use of this as it isn't vital?

- Group code source in sub-folder:
Atm, the source code is in the same folder source/ and there is a lot of files there. I wondered whether we could move files used together in the same subfolder. e.g: Move all the entities speaking files into a Entities/ sub-folder.
Move the game map related files into a GameMap/ subfolder, ...
Of course, certain files would remain in source/ but I think it could help making links between files when coding.

What do you think?
Last edited by Bertram on 15 Apr 2014, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Re: OD code misc questions

Postby oln » 15 Apr 2014, 17:10

Threads
I think the idea was to have creature logic in one thread, rendering in one, and network in another, though it was never really finished properly. I would support the idea of dropping the use of threads given that there is far too much intermixing of different functionality in the code right now, particularly in the Creature/Tile/Other entity classes (I can be blamed for some of that.). Threads make that issue much worse. It has also resulted in a very heavy use of semaphores everywhere, which isn't ideal. Maybe we can use threads again some time in the future if the codebase is cleaner.

Flood filling
I think it's used for pathfinding, and possibly other things. It makes it easy to see whether a tile is reachable from another tile. It basically gives the same colour value to all floor tiles that are connected.

PrefixtreeLL
I am not familiar with this file, so I don't know if it has been imported or not. Should be possible to find out who put it there and ask. If there is gpl-incompatible code, it will have to be removed.

Group source code
Sounds like a good idea to me.

A general note:
The codebase has had a number of people working on it at different times, each with their own ideas and plans that never ended up being finished, so it's not suprising that there is a fair bit of inconsistency.
oln

Re: OD code misc questions

Postby Bertram » 15 Apr 2014, 19:25

Hi oln,

Note that I don't blame anybody what has been done. Bygones be bygones. I just wanted to have a point of view of someone being there since longer than me about all that.
Thus, thanks for your answers. :)

Threads:

Ok, so once the basics will be working on single player games, I'll work toward removing thread per thread and why not use SFML to provide networking abstraction, since we're using two other SFML components already.
Raw networking is the only thing that was making threads unavoidable AFAIK.
Feel free to comment if anything.

Flood filling
I think it's used for pathfinding, and possibly other things. It makes it easy to see whether a tile is reachable from another tile. It basically gives the same colour value to all floor tiles that are connected.

Ah true, thanks. I just got that from the bool GameMap::walkablePathExists(int x1, int y1, int x2, int y2) function.

PrefixtreeLL
I am not familiar with this file, so I don't know if it has been imported or not. Should be possible to find out who put it there and ask. If there is gpl-incompatible code, it will have to be removed.

Ok, if nobody gives new info about it the next few days coming, I'll remove those files.

Group source code
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Ok, I'll do that little by little, and not now, so you guys will still have time to comment of anything.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator