Directly loading in Blend files into Ogre

Directly loading in Blend files into Ogre

Postby Elvano » 25 Mar 2014, 09:51

Hey chaps,

Faichele mentioned it before on IRC, but there is a way to directly load blender models in Ogre without having to convert them to mesh files.

It won't be exactly a walk in the park, but it couldn't hurt having someone more knowledgeable on the matter than me to take a look at it. http://www.ogre3d.org/addonforums/viewt ... =8&t=13427

However, I'm pretty sure it'll offer us enough advantages if we could manage ;o
Elvano~
Elvano

Re: Directly loading in Blend files into Ogre

Postby Bertram » 25 Mar 2014, 10:54

~3000 lines of code to import. ;)
The idea can be good. But what are the advantages of blend files upon mesh ones?

I myself do have doubts about the file size/loading times. (Those might be foolish, though ;])
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 25 Mar 2014, 11:22

Bertram {l Wrote}:The idea can be good. But what are the advantages of blend files upon mesh ones?

• We don't need to rely on outdated 3rd party plugins anymore. (and designers no longer need to worry for plugin compatibility when upgrading their blender version)
  • Minor adjustement no longer require to look back for the original and convert afterwards again
  • We allow people to use their own models more easily (or adjust those they want adjusted)
Ofcourse these are not much advantages for coders =p
But I'm sure there will be more. This is all I can think off this moment.
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 25 Mar 2014, 12:16

Hi Elvano, :)

When you say outdated 3rd party plugins, I'm not that sure, since Blender2Ogre seems alive and kicking:
https://bitbucket.org/MindCalamity/blen ... ommits/all

Minor adjustement no longer require to look back for the original and convert afterwards again

Well, this is IMHO the minimal cost for getting files that have a lower loading overhead, and such.
And when the way to produce the mesh, skeleton and other files is well documented, the conversion time shouldn't be that killing.
After all, artists have working files even for png products that needs to be "exported" each time, right?
It's just a matter of being organized. But yes, being organized is not always something easy. ;)

Secondly, having a format that is the default Ogre one permits us to "outsource" the loading/displaying code maintenance, which is the point
in using Ogre in the first place, right?

We allow people to use their own models more easily (or adjust those they want adjusted)

Same kind of comment that previous point, I do think artists should be dealing with working files such as blender files,
but in the end, exporting the files in mesh doesn't cost much if they know how to do it.

I don't see any ground breaking point in changing the way things are done atm, but if you find something, feel free to share. :)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby nido » 25 Mar 2014, 20:58

(and designers no longer need to worry for plugin compatibility when upgrading their blender version)

Whilst this may be true, if I understand it correctly, that would most definitely depend on us making sure the code works with the newer blender versions. Other then that I am most definitely not a knowledgeable user in this respect.
nido