How to represent game settings ?

How to represent game settings ?

Postby paul424 » 02 Mar 2014, 12:17

As I see most of you doesn't give a damn about startcreatureculling and starttileculling,
That is There should be some standard way of showing all options of the game and showing it to the user , so he is no longer confused about game internals.
How about storing the settings in XML file ? Would you like to have one big file GameOptions.xml :

<Option1> Enable </Option1>
<Option2> Enable </Option2>
<Option3> Enable </Option3>
<Option4> Enable </Option4>

I could come up with some xsd template, but first say your word ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: How to represent game settings ?

Postby Elvano » 02 Mar 2014, 12:33

xml might work, but I hope you're planning to use more meaningful tags.
Another thing is; you might want to use an opendungeons specific namespace in our xml.
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 02 Mar 2014, 14:12

Seconded what Elvano said. :)

Well, paul, Don't tell people "don't give a damn" as there are many things to take care of, anyway.
I, for one, tried to clean up a bit the Culling Manager, for instance.
After all, each one of us has got a specific set of different skills, and that's what makes a good team, usually.

Now, as for XMLs, throwng yourself into a XSD before having a very clear vision of what data you want to store and how, is not very relevant.
Could you present us a more thorough vision of the XML presentation (A full example would be perfect.)? Thanks! :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 02 Mar 2014, 19:03

Bertram {l Wrote}:Now, as for XMLs, throwng yourself into a XSD before having a very clear vision of what data you want to store and how, is not very relevant.
Could you present us a more thorough vision of the XML presentation (A full example would be perfect.)? Thanks! :)

When you do start the overview, bear in mind that grouping sets of data using child elements is nothing you should avoid.
I've seen this, for example, in some of the other XML files:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
<ColorR>x</ColorR>
<ColorG>x</ColorG>
<ColorB>x</ColorB>

I would personally recommand something like this, for improved readablity:
<Color>
     <R>x</R>
     <G>x</G>
     <B>x</B>
</Color>

EDIT:
I didn't know if I should mention it, but I do so just in case someone else mentions it.
I've always been a big fan of putting data into attributes, which, acording to me, provides great readablity for people.
<Color R="x" G="x" B="x" />

But I'm trying to teach myself not to, as in a lot of cases this will not be so good for applications.
Elvano~
Elvano