New Modeler

New Modeler

Postby wciow » 03 Jul 2010, 13:01

Hi all, I would like to contribute something to this project.

I have 6+ years of Blender experience, generally making low poly models for games. I have worked with mod teams in the past but I'm currently making my own faction mods over on the Glest forums.

I would really like to take one race/faction under my wing and give it a coherent theme and look rather than a mixture of scavenged and donated models. Failing that some good concepts of what you are looking for is helpful, speeds up the process and generally ends with better results than making it up as i go.

Cheers,

Wciow
wciow

Re: New Modeler

Postby svenskmand » 03 Jul 2010, 13:08

Exactly what we are looking for :) I bid you very welcome onboard :) Do you have some stuff for show? Also please introduce youself in the "Where do you live"-thread :)

I think you are pretty much free to choose any faction to make models for, as no one has claimed any of them. But others might also want to help you, and we will all make comments and remarks on you stuff - ofcourse :) To get at grip on each faction please read the backstory sections (there is two right now but we plan to merge them) look at the factions backstory, the alignment backstory and the role of the player part. Also check out the rest of our wiki.

Also the models we currently have are in the svn repository, which you can also browse online.
Last edited by svenskmand on 03 Jul 2010, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 03 Jul 2010, 17:50

Hello Wciow, and welcome to the project. As svenskmand said we are glad to have your help. Skorpio has been doing most of the modeling so far so he is the one to speak to regarding a faction for you to work on.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 04 Jul 2010, 00:23

I think that we first need some concept art of each creature before we start on modeling anything, as we have not even agreed upon which creatures to have for each faction and how they looks. So one idea is for you to start by thinking about what creatures is suitable for a faction, and discuss it here. Then make concept art for all creatures so we can agree on the looks and then lastly model them.

wciow: Can you do sketches and concept art also?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 04 Jul 2010, 09:38

Welcome to the forum wciow. We still have not made an ultimate decision for the factions/races and the accordant creatures. The proposed "factions" are the Corpars (dungeon monsters/animals), the Undead, Humans and Constructs (mechanical units). The most creatures that we have now would probably belong to the Corpars, if we established the faction system, but since we tend towards an alignment system, I think it would be better to imagine these factions only as design themes not as real factions.
We have no undead creatures at the moment, so that would be a good pick for you, or you could design some Constructs or Humans. The creature classes are also not 100% fixed yet, but we definitely need close range fighters, archers, magic users and workers.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby wciow » 04 Jul 2010, 12:08

Thanks for the heads up Skorpio. I think I'll take a look at designing some undead units first. This fits in nicely with the Glest faction I'm currently working on which is also undead. However I doubt there will be any crossover since that mod is in the old school D&D style. I think this game leans more towards the cartoony style undead of original DK/WC3.

The construct faction is probably my favorite in concept because it is the most original.

In answer to Svenskmand, my 2d artwork is nothing to write home about but i can adequately texture models. I will probably produce some rough concept sketches for the undead over the next few days to give you a better idea.
wciow

Postby svenskmand » 04 Jul 2010, 17:56

wciow {l Wrote}:I will probably produce some rough concept sketches for the undead over the next few days to give you a better idea.

Nice, I look forward to it :)

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Do you have some stuff for show? Also please introduce youself in the "Where do you live"-thread :)

?
svenskmand
OD Moderator