Building OpenDungeons with CEGUI 0.8

Building OpenDungeons with CEGUI 0.8

Postby DunmerLord » 19 Jul 2013, 18:18

Hi,

I found problems trying to compile the development branch of OpenDungeons on Ubuntu 13.04. I can compile it using CEGUI 0.7 and the game actually runs. Nevertheless it is said in the project website and in this post that you should use CEGUI 0.8.2. When I do this I get a lot of errors, most of them saying that the header files can't be found (sorry, I can't post the console output right now).

Then I found here that the header files of CEGUI have been changed in name and location for version 0.8. So you should at least change the include clauses from:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
#include <CEGUIWhatever.h>

to:
#include <CEGUI/Whatever.h>

Also the code has references to functions that are valid for CEGUI 0.7 but don't exist anymore in 0.8 like:
CEGUI::System::getSingleton().injectMousePosition(arg.state.X.abs, arg.state.Y.abs);

in sources/ConsoleMode.cpp.

There are some porting guidelines in the CEGUI wiki.

My question is that apparently several people in this forum have managed to compile OpenDungeons with CEGUI 0.8.2 with no problem. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help.
DunmerLord

Re: Building OpenDungeons with CEGUI 0.8

Postby paul424 » 20 Jul 2013, 12:28

You address your question to persons running OD with CEGUI 0.8 and I think there\ are none of them on this forum .
If you want you can port development branch to work with the newest CEGUI .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby DunmerLord » 20 Jul 2013, 16:14

OK, thank you. So are you supposed to compile the development branch with CEGUI 0.7? Then I think someone should change the build instructions on the OpenDungeons website, it's pretty confusing :) .

I was actually trying to port the code so it will compile in CEGUI 0.8 but I'm a complete beginner to CEGUI so it would take some time. Anyway when I compile OpenDungeons (with CEGUI 0.7.9 this time) and run it, it will eat all my memory and eventually crash the system. Has anybody found this issue? (This should probably be in another thread, right?)

By the way I didn't say it but I'd like to contribute as much as I can to this project. I was a fan of Dungeon Keeper back in the DOS days and I think it's awesome that you are trying to make a free version of it.

Regards
DunmerLord

Postby Skorpio » 20 Jul 2013, 19:30

Cool, welcome to the project!
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby domtron » 22 Jul 2013, 13:31

Huh I was sure I had 8.2 but I just checked and it is 7.9. Very sorry for the confusion.

@paul are you sure Jipuf is not using 8.2 since he listed it?

I've been *really* busy since my calc class is coming to an end (3 classes left for 2 tests and an exam) but I may have some time to tweak the wiki build instructions this weekend.

And welcome to the team. Shall I assume your a programmer? :)
domtron

Postby DunmerLord » 22 Jul 2013, 18:05

Thank you all for your welcome!

Yes, I'm a programmer only not a very good one in C++. I have a job maintaining a software written in Java and I'm about to forget everything else I learned in college :D. That's one of the reasons I want to give a hand on a project made in C++. Besides I always wanted to do something in Ogre and the fact that this is a Dungeon Keeper clone brought very good memories to me (snif).

I'll try to find as much free time as I can outside of my job to help. I'm really worried about that memory issue. It managed to make my laptop explode again yesterday! The only thing i could figure out is that it happens only when you start a new game and not in the editor.

By the way, I see you use Trac to report bugs. How do you work here? Do you report a new bug before you start working on the code? Do you assign it to yourself?

Thanks and regards
DunmerLord

Postby paul424 » 22 Jul 2013, 20:31

That's the QuadTree issue , as it produces too many nodes that is path of high 1/log(|d_i - d_j |) per each pair of creatures , it came visible after having such a high speed....
paul424
OD Moderator