Wiki updates and maintenance?

Wiki updates and maintenance?

Postby Danimal » 25 Jun 2013, 15:06

I was wondering, who is the one in charge of the wiki? it really needs a good clean up and reorganization, i would do it, but sadly its out of my knowledge (just look at the adventurer entry)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Re: Wiki updates and manteniance?

Postby paul424 » 26 Jun 2013, 10:40

Build instructions are also ancients, than on IRC I get :
' I do use Ogre 1.7.4 , didn't tried Ogre1.8.1, because it's says clear it won't work '
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 26 Jun 2013, 12:21

No one is "in charge". No one has done much work on it since stefan left.
oln

Postby Danimal » 26 Jun 2013, 14:04

its sad, because the wiki should became a showcase for OD and push back the programming stuff to a more discrete second plane
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby domtron » 27 Jun 2013, 22:34

I agree the build instructions need work, I'm not familiar with the rest of the content though. I'm still working on getting my dev branch compiled (I got busy and haven't been able to pursue it any more)

Who has control of making wiki accounts. I'm in need of one as I would like to add a dev branch build instruction section based on my experiences. We need a list of non-included dependencies and their versions for the dev branch.

EDIT: Interesting. There is a small wiki in the SF project also(not the main one) https://sourceforge.net/p/opendungeons/wiki/Home/
domtron

Postby oln » 28 Jun 2013, 09:06

Me and svenskmand can make wiki accounts. I think we disabled creation by users for spam reasons, but I can't remember. Anyway, I made you an account.
oln

Postby domtron » 28 Jun 2013, 13:09

Thanks oln. If anyone has anything specific that you want me to try and clean up post them here. I like working with design docs, though I don't have much in the way of wiki-media skills.
domtron

Postby Danimal » 28 Jun 2013, 15:19

if you can, push the programing stuff down, and make what we have done more visible. Also the wiki really needs clean up into factions and game mechanics, but i guess that is too much work especially if you are not that informed about everything.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby domtron » 29 Jun 2013, 05:42

Danimal {l Wrote}:if you can, push the programing stuff down, and make what we have done more visible.

Are you referring to a specific page or just as a general rule?
domtron

Postby Danimal » 29 Jun 2013, 10:23

Better ignore me, looking at it closely, its complete, just ugly to the eye and in need of obsolete stuff cleaning . I will let it at your discrection.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 30 Jun 2013, 21:26

If someone took 10 dollars from each person who promised to help in here with OD he / she would become a millionaire .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby domtron » 30 Jun 2013, 23:43

you really need to be a little patient... EDIT: I take that back I'm sure you've been disappointed a number of times and I haven't proved myself yet ;). just know I'm an Eagle Scout and when we set out to do something it gets done... may take a while but it gets done :P.

I've rewritten around 50%ish of the download page. I still need to do some fact checking on it (like the actual dependencies needed for the dev branch) and look at the document as a whole for a final revision. Here is what I have finished so far for your review. (Note this sample is subject to numerous changes esp. the last bit)

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
==Disclaimer==
The game is still in early alpha state and the functionality is still quite basic.
If you find any errors in this guide, or otherwise have problems compiling, please contact us on the forums or on IRC for help.

<span style="background:#FF0000"> '''NOTE: The folder structure of the game media was just changed, and the instructions are not proof-tested after this change. Please contact if there are any problems.'''</span>

==Prebuilt packages==
OpenDungeons currently has binary builds for Windows (msi-package) and Linux. These and older packages are available [http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendungeons/files here]. The 'Current Release' directory has the most recent stable versions of OpenDungeons.

On Windows you may need to install several other programs: [https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3b170b25-abab-4bc3-ae91-50ceb6d8fa8d DirectX], [http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/ OpenAL], and [https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en Microsoft C/C++] runtime libraries.

===Ubuntu PPA (If running pre-oneiric Ubuntu)===

<span style="background:#FF0000"> '''Warning: These are not being maintained at this time and are therefore old releases.'''</span>

On Ubuntu the easiest way to install OpenDungeons is using [https://launchpad.net/~svenskmand/+archive/opendungeons our PPA], which depends on [https://launchpad.net/~andrewfenn/+archive/ogredev Andrew Fenns PPA], do the following in a terminal (you get to a terminal by hitting ALT+F2 and then type "gnome-terminal" without the quotes):
:: '''<code>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andrewfenn/ogredev</code>'''
:: '''<code>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:svenskmand/opendungeons</code>'''
:: '''<code>sudo apt-get update</code>'''
:: '''<code>sudo apt-get install opendungeons</code>'''

===Gentoo ebuilds===
See [http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1580 this] post.

==Building from Source==
OpenDungeons is Open Source project meaning the Source Code is freely available and can be compiled by anyone. Our Source Code is available via [https://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=git&group_id=233155 GIT and hosted by SourceForge]. There are two 'branches' of code available: The Master and Development branches.

===Master Branch===

The Master branch is the same version as what is in the current stable files mentioned in the 'Prebuilt packages' section above.

You can download a zip or tar ball via the [https://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=git&group_id=233155 SourceForge source code browser]. However, it is easier to stay upto date by installing and using Git, our Version Control System, to grab the source. The following command will create a copy of our repository:

:: '''<code>git clone git://opendungeons.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opendungeons/opendungeons</code>'''

The master branch is currently at the last commit before sound was added.

If you find any bugs in either the prebuilt binaries or in the git version you build yourself, please post them to the [https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=233155 bugtracker] on our sourceforge page.

===Development Branch===

The Development branch is code recently created by OpenDungeons programmers and is unstable and not fully tested. Developers and bug testers should grab this branch.

<span style="background:#FF0000"> '''NOTE to developers: To obtain write access leave a message here on the wiki, or in the [http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewforum.php?f=15 project forum] you will then need to clone the writable repository that will become available to you.'''</span>

After following the instructions for the master branch, you will then switch to the development branch using the following command:

:: '''<code>git checkout -b development remotes/origin/development</code>'''

===Build prerequisites===
OpenDungeons has a number of third party libraries. While some of the smaller libraries are included with the source code others will need to be installed/compiled separately. Note that second level items are dependencies of the first level items and are usually bundled or pulled in by the package manager automatically.

====Master Branch Prerequisites====
* G++ 4.6 or later
* SFML 1.5 or 1.6
** libsndfile
** openal
* Ogre 1.7 branch
** OIS
** freeimage required by ogre
* CEGUI 0.7 branch
* pthreads (included on windows, system on linux)

====Development Branch Prerequisites====
* G++ 4.7 or later
* Boost 1.49 or later

=== Detailed Build Instructions===
====Linux====
=====Compiling=====
domtron

Postby Danimal » 01 Jul 2013, 12:10

Dont be so bitter Paul, i though the project dead two times before, and look, everything is still going, slowly, but going.
Now i just wish for a Windows exe and skorpio´s tileset integrated in it.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 01 Jul 2013, 13:02

If you haven't figured it out on your own already, the dev branch needs ogre 1.8.
oln

Postby domtron » 01 Jul 2013, 13:30

Paul mentioned that. though I just installed it (libogre1.8-dev) and now cmake can't find it... I figure by the time I get the dev branch built I'll be very qualified to write about it :P I got a little more of the page reworked. If possible I would like a complete list of dependencies for the dev branch. Also I think I'll move all ubuntu ppa stuff to a different page and link to it(at least until we get that updated).

I was reading up on automake and then realized OD uses cmake so now I'm reading up on that. The cmake checks for the dev branch needs updating. If I get around to it i'll make a new forum topic and write up all the stuff I know it's missing(mostly the stuff I talked about in 'a slight hiccup' which I shouldn't have :P).
domtron

Postby paul424 » 01 Jul 2013, 17:49

Actually CMake is quite smart in sniffing out the libraries it does need. Run CMake-gui , check Advanced and collapse Ogre "Tab" and there ought to be dozens of values keept for Ogre ..., however this should be smarted out by cmake -- Ogre provides it's own cmake config files ....

EDIT : After second thought , I googled there is Ogre 1.8.0 (do you use it ? ) as well , try than 1.8.1 as it works for us ....

Remove the caches - the CMakeCache.txt file and rerun cmake-gui , set proper path to your dir with Opendungeons file CMakeList.txt ( main OD dir ) , choose build dir , click >>configure << and choose UNIX makefiles .

Stash in whole message output from cmake-gui in here ( the bottom message bar ).
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby domtron » 01 Jul 2013, 20:46

I used the libogre1.8-dev package that is in the ubuntu repo. I'm not sure what minor version it is. According to cmake-gui everything related to ogre was "not found."

CMake build type is not set, defaulting to 'Release'
The C compiler identification is GNU
The CXX compiler identification is GNU
Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
Looking for OIS...
OIS_PREFIX_PATH changed.
checking for module 'OIS'
  found OIS, version 1.3.0
Found OIS: optimized;/usr/lib/libOIS.so;debug;/usr/lib/libOIS.so
Looking for OGRE...
OGRE_PREFIX_WATCH changed.
checking for module 'OGRE'
  package 'OGRE' not found
Could not locate OGRE
CMake Error at cmake/modules/FindPkgMacros.cmake:117 (message):
  Required library OGRE not found! Install the library (including dev
  packages) and try again.  If the library is already installed, set the
  missing variables manually in cmake.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  cmake/modules/FindOGRE.cmake:219 (findpkg_finish)
  CMakeLists.txt:219 (find_package)

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I'm trying to find where ogre is so I can do it manually. should I just compile ogre from source?

EDIT: according to one source the dev package is 1.8.1
domtron

Postby paul424 » 01 Jul 2013, 22:54

Study this cheatsheet http://www.cyberciti.biz/howto/question/linux/dpkg-cheat-sheet.php

AFAIK the quality of the cmake scripts depends on the quality of the package proviiding Ogre , if you are using non-standard repos that might be causeing trouble ( tough on OpenSuse it was a way to get the newest version ... )

Can you tell what Ogre related paths cmake-gui is asking for ? ( I do not mean advanced ones ... ) .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby domtron » 01 Jul 2013, 23:15

According to dpkg -l my ogre version is 1.8.1 and that it is from getdeb (I think that's non-standard)

ii  libogre1.8-dev                           1.8.1-1~getdeb2                                     Object-oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (development files)

Can you tell what Ogre related paths cmake-gui is asking for ? ( I do not mean advanced ones ... ) .

I'm not entirely sure what your asking but there are no paths mentioned/found by cmake-gui other then an "INSTALL_PREFIX" which I doubt you want.

Do you think I should just build ogre from source? I was hoping to avoid that so the install process would be more Succinct.

Related to the wiki: I asked my brother, he is a web programmer/designer, what he thought of the page, I actually meant content but he gave me aesthetics, and the first thing he said was "there wasn't enough contrast between the background and the text." Maybe one of our artists could come up with a better color for the text so that it would fit the background better? just something I forgot to mention in my previous post.
domtron

Postby paul424 » 02 Jul 2013, 05:23

Dude , I gave you this cheat sheet so you can check the FILES and THEIR PATHS provided by respective packages .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 02 Jul 2013, 10:13

paul424, calm down. I think we should be happy that someone wants to help.

There is a screenshot of what paul means with paths in cmake-gui the windows part of the wiki page.

I remember having some issues with the cmake script not finding everything, so it could be the fact that you are using a version from a non-standard repo that is causing problems.
I also remember having the problem that the CEGUI package was still build against Ogre 1.7 last time I tried to build, so I had to build CEGUI from source.
What distro version are you running?
oln

Postby Danimal » 02 Jul 2013, 14:05

domtron {l Wrote}:According to dpkg -l my ogre version is 1.8.1 and that it is from getdeb (I think that's non-standard)

[code]
Related to the wiki: I asked my brother, he is a web programmer/designer, what he thought of the page, I actually meant content but he gave me aesthetics, and the first thing he said was "there wasn't enough contrast between the background and the text." Maybe one of our artists could come up with a better color for the text so that it would fit the background better? just something I forgot to mention in my previous post.

I think the same, the site is somewhat "messy" looking, that may be the reason
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby domtron » 02 Jul 2013, 15:40

I'll see If I can find a deb file online that is standard. That way a user can download it and install it with relative ease(not as easy as apt-get but easier then hunting down all the various filepaths).

@oln: Nah Pauls right, I wasn't through enough in reading through the list of commands he gave me. Also I can't see a single option(left column) that corisponds with my options in the windows cmake images.
I also remember having the problem that the CEGUI package was still build against Ogre 1.7 last time I tried to build, so I had to build CEGUI from source.
What distro version are you running?

I also built CEGUI from source as the instructions say to do. I'm on ubuntu 12.04 64-bit.

@paul: ok I got a list of files but I'm not sure what these sufixes, listed in cmake as missing paths, mean. (I.e. OGRE_LIBRARY_DBG, OGRE_LIBRARY_FWK, OGRE_LIBRARY_REL). I suppose I can't just point them all the the top directory of the ogre install and they will sort themselves out. :P

@Danimal: I think my brother also mentioned the background being to busy, but I personally like it. I forget are you one of the artists or do you hold another role?
Last edited by domtron on 02 Jul 2013, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
domtron

Postby Danimal » 02 Jul 2013, 16:13

Yes, im an artist, but if you compare for example OD page to War for the overworld, the difference in attractiveness is amazing, ours looks kinda bland and half-cooked
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby domtron » 02 Jul 2013, 20:01

Could you give a link? I can't seem to find the wiki.

EDIT: p.s. does anyone have any idea what's up with the 'Content source' section near the end of the download page? It seems to be irrelevant or deprecated(it just links to the main SF project page). I just want to check if it's ok to remove it.
Last edited by domtron on 02 Jul 2013, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
domtron