OD future?

OD future?

Postby Danimal » 08 Jan 2013, 21:20

For anyone who visits often its clear OD future is quite grim, no development was happening at all codewise or it was really slow, our last attemps at recruting were a failure. Things didnt look well, but...

Flipflop appears with his own dk clon which uses OD assests, most likely hes going to deliver a finished product since its his degree tesis, but, where does that leave us?, im quite pleased at how hes doing things, but that is his project, not ours at all.

So whats the conclusion here?, are we going to take his work and expand it when hes finished? that would be good since he already has features OD have not been able to provide for a long time OR are we continuing with the current OD even in the current situation?

This is something the remaining programmers should answer since they are the key players in this.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Re: OD future?

Postby Skorpio » 10 Jan 2013, 08:03

Flipflop's project looks more promising than OD atm. Maybe we could try to realize some of the things we had planned for OD in his project when it's open source. Otherwise there's still the possibility to merge OD with SumWars. Or perhaps Paul can bring OD back to life? I'm completely unsure how we should continue now.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 14 Jan 2013, 19:19

I do what I can do ... OD has major drawbacks of not having a real team ... Even now there's about 150~ wekely downloads at SF , and what comes from that if it's still in 0.4.8 old version ????!!!!!! . I can give some meaningful code once a week .... I simply cannot work more on OD , doing even that is quite much: testing and poking and deducing etc.

BTW: Isn't Flipflop's project using JAVA, 3D env's are significantly slower than their C/C++ counterparts .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 14 Jan 2013, 22:23

its quite sad how things have become, is there no solution around? if we had at least that new release...
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hc » 14 Jan 2013, 23:28

Honestly...stick with the code base or support another differently named project - and that's not an exclusive or!
You can do both as you all like and jump on and off as you like:
This is open sooooource!

You're all free to support other projects but leave this project alive.
Stop talking about project d**th, as it is a self fulfilling prophecy that only becomes true by spreading the lie.
What better way to scare away possible new contributors?

As far as I can see this project is still alive, paul424 is working on it an even if not: Open source projects don't die, they hibernate until the next someone's commit or fork.
OpenDungeons history itself proves that.

Even if you all would like to abandon then leave the project remain its identity.
But I feel that most of you are still attached to the project.
A technology switch wont be a savior - it's a top project killer and most often on "what went wrong" in a postmortem.

And here you should believe me because I'm notoriously on the darker side:
Don't long for features, long for gameplay.
Take whatever you've got in your repositories, slap a version number on it, list changes and just call it a release.

- a follower
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby Flipflop » 15 Jan 2013, 11:34

What Paul424 do here is a really big work. I now it from my own experience how energy consuming is to dig into code you don´t write all by ourself and improve it. The process is rather slow. He even do it in his free time.
(For example I am Payed for my Work and also will do it in several Month as my Master Thesis). So I can work more then Full Time on the Project and until now its code all by myself.

I Think my Project has an other Focus. We build it mainly to test how good are BDI-Agents suitable to make good Game AI. And of course to create a game. Personaly for myself is more importand and fun to me to make the game, then play it.

I like hc post alot. He is totally right. Its Open Source. My Project and OD can only benefit from each other. For example the Neighborhood Tileset implementation. And I think there will be more. Our AgentKeeper Project benefit atm much more from OD then otherwise, without your big and nice asset Pipeline I can not have this fast process.

About the C++ vs. JAVA Discussion....Java is great for game development, and I am sick of hearing otherwise, trust me.
I reach really Good results, there a really good (and fast) Open Source and Commercial Project realized with the JMonkey Engine. Or think about Minecraft. The JMonkey Engine has also good results on not-up-to-date Andrioid Smartphones. Its not that importand to use C++ or JAVA. Its importand to write good and fast code. Maybe JAVA has more "traps" to make it slow, but if you now what you are doing is pretty fast.

But back to Topic. Like HC said, be more proud about your Project. Think more optimistic. And you have still 150+ weekly downloads? Thats amazing! Really. You Project has also a really good Reputation and is well known.
Flipflop

Postby charlie » 15 Jan 2013, 13:23

hc {l Wrote}:Honestly...stick with the code base or support another differently named project - and that's not an exclusive or!
You can do both as you all like and jump on and off as you like:
This is open sooooource!

You're all free to support other projects but leave this project alive.
Stop talking about project d**th, as it is a self fulfilling prophecy that only becomes true by spreading the lie.
What better way to scare away possible new contributors?

As far as I can see this project is still alive, paul424 is working on it an even if not: Open source projects don't die, they hibernate until the next someone's commit or fork.
OpenDungeons history itself proves that.

Even if you all would like to abandon then leave the project remain its identity.
But I feel that most of you are still attached to the project.
A technology switch wont be a savior - it's a top project killer and most often on "what went wrong" in a postmortem.

And here you should believe me because I'm notoriously on the darker side:
Don't long for features, long for gameplay.
Take whatever you've got in your repositories, slap a version number on it, list changes and just call it a release.

- a follower

QFT. One of the best posts made in this forum (ever) (and not just OD, I mean the entire forum).
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 15 Jan 2013, 17:50

Great post hc. Thanks for the advice.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2013, 13:20

+1 to hc :) And do not worry OD will be back again :) I will come back when I have more time :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 12 Mar 2013, 13:25

Hi svend, its good to know you will come back someday, things are too calm around here without you
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2013, 23:08

It is nice to know that I am missed ;) It gives me even more motivation work on the project :) But unfortunately my thesis works calls at me for the moment, but luckily not forever ;)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 13 Mar 2013, 18:59

Hey Svenskmand, nice to read you again. :) Would be cool to see more posts from you, even if you only say hi once in a while. ;)
Skorpio
OD Moderator