Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Skorpio » 03 Mar 2013, 21:39

Hmm, I used the same method for all tiles. Maybe this tile has to be exported again.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 03 Mar 2013, 22:07

I just exported the tile again, but it obviously wasn't different so Tortoise didn't upload it.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 05 Mar 2013, 12:12

Ok , after futher examination I see that : Dirt_10111000.mesh loads on OgreMeshy, and as well loads with custom example application builded on another linux systems ... so it must have been some wird / stupid fallacy of mine at my computer at home , sorry for all that rumble :) .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 05 Mar 2013, 22:14

To continue our favourite game I do say :
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
 "
 OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Dirt_00001111.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group."
"
 Ogre3D exception: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Dirt_11101000.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group.
"

Ohh seems I have had hard time understanding Scropios concepts , only now I realized that he wants to put 1 in corner neighbour only if both hor and ver are set ... not at least one. Much guessing , in such simple concept ....

Another thing is Scorpio, you could update the file archive with NST at www SVN repo site ,please :). ... You could rename Claimed0 to Claimed_0 etc to make names more uniform ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 08 Mar 2013, 09:35

I did some implementation of NST and no tile is missing , hurray ! , although the Water tiles seems to have diffrent encoding strategy ... some of them seem to be additionaly rotated by 90 deg. Can you have a look of mine impmenetation .... besides, are there any new textures .... Dirt does Tiles does not look any better than the old one..... Also if you could decide what scale the tiles should have ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 08 Mar 2013, 10:40

Good job. The naming of the water tiles actually follows the same scheme as the dirt tiles. You have to think of them as inverted walls.

Regarding the scale, I think the current size is pretty good in relation to the creatures, the walls could be slightly higher, though. Is it difficult to change the grid size in OD to 2.5 Blender units?

There are 3 dirt textures in the SVN media source folder together with a material script. You have to replace the old script and copy the three textures to your texture folder.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 08 Mar 2013, 14:53

Height changed ... only now I realized that all meshes are mirrored , along one of the axis , no problem , cause I always can change the code .... Only I ;m courious did you numbered the Tiles N-brs clockwise or anticlockwise ?

OK : now done , only the look up for empty neighbors must be added .... donno how Flipflop managed to implement NST so quickly ... he must study cryptography or something :D .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 08 Mar 2013, 15:19

Hehe, I hope it didn't cause too much headache.

I numbered the tiles as Flipflop suggested (clockwise, and you have to read the binary code from right to left).
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 10 Mar 2013, 11:54

SO what do we do from now on ? More meshes :P ?
Can you look of what is at developer branch now ... there are still some small glitches ... hmm like water tiles at the binding corner has some small empty stripes ....
Lighting would greatly renice the graphical outlook .... I noticed yesterday , that in DK2 they put some reddish lightmaps onto tiles out of monsters/player/dungeon lineofsight , so the game look more eyecandy and huh ... hellish ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 11 Mar 2013, 17:28

I'll try to find the problem with the water tiles, but it would be nice to have a new Windows version of OD, so that I can check them out in-game.

I'll try to create a few more variations of the dirt and claimed tiles, but I'm not sure if that will help much, since the tiles still have to use the same profile. Some texture variations could be interesting, though. We have to figure out a way to use texture splatting. BTW, have you managed to swap the textures of the tiles (dirt, gold, rock)?

We also have to find a way to indicate the owner of a tile. A colored border overlay could be sufficient.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 11 Mar 2013, 18:14

Those stripes in Water Tiles are so small, that you might have not noticed them while Blender modeling.
Worst are the Dirt tile meshes holes, the bug which seems to be for some T. -- likely Dirt.1110000.mesh , but in repo there were 3 ver of it ( a,b c, ... ) so I must try others ...
I will try adding the outstanding textures ( pun intended word-game :P ) today or tommorow ... are you working on Win, Scorpio ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 11 Mar 2013, 19:58

Yes, I have only Windows.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby hc » 11 Mar 2013, 22:47

@Skorpio:
Which software besides blender and sculptris do you use/need for OD?
And which cpu do you have?

@paul: I'm thinking about an OD development image for a windows hosted virtual machine, ie. VirtualBox+Lubuntu+Wine+Tools
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby paul424 » 12 Mar 2013, 10:17

Would it be worth the effort managing virtual machine ? When there is need for Linux on some machine I just shrink the partition, and create the primary one on free space and install the newest version from popular distros ....Just know what you doing when shrinking not to lose data try to defragment the disc first so at the end you have clean space.
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby hc » 12 Mar 2013, 12:51

You should try virtualbox.
What you just described is more overhead than just starting an install cd/dvd iso in virtualbox.
Besides it allows copying/working in 2 OSes at the same time.

The intended audience would be artists btw.
Wine etc isn't necessary when copying data from and to the vm and modelling on the windows host.
It's really simple. No managing really just some help if needed.
Only key point is having enough cores and virtualization support (more or less recent quadcores or dual min).
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 13 Mar 2013, 18:55

hc {l Wrote}:@Skorpio:
Which software besides blender and sculptris do you use/need for OD?
And which cpu do you have?

Photoshop and of course OD itself to test the creatures, textures and animations in-game. ;) I've got an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.11 GHz, but I'm probably going to buy some new hardware soon.
Skorpio
OD Moderator