Remake of DK on Google Code

Remake of DK on Google Code

Postby svenskmand » 04 Apr 2010, 14:05

Hey just wanted to say that I just saw these news (Notice this is a Google Translate link as the news are in Danish) about a remake of the original DK, which should make it much easier to play it :) I also made some advertisement for our project :)

For those of you how would like to play the old DK in a easy way you can use DOSBox, all you have to do is install it add two lines to the end of the DOSBox config file which are:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount d F:\ -t cdrom
mount c C:\Spil\DOSBoxData
the first tells DOSBox which cd-rom drive to mount (if you are on Windows you can also use a virtual drive with a ISO), the second tells DOSBox where the C: drive of the virtual DOSBox is located.

Then you start DOSBox install DK and enjoy :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Re: Remake of DK on Google Code

Postby andrewbuck » 04 Apr 2010, 15:55

They have an interesting idea, rewrite the game piece by piece until the whole thing is done; in the meantime they make calls to the original DK exe file (now being used like a dll). The problem I can see with that approach is their source code will end up being very much like the original dk source code since it has to be binary compatible with all the existing DK data structures, etc. This potentially leaves them open to legal challenges, (Bullfrog could make a strong argument that KeeperFX is a derivative work of their code base) but aside from that it's a neat idea.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator