Clean Up, Part Three (Media, SVN)

Clean Up, Part Three (Media, SVN)

Postby StefanP.MUC » 07 Sep 2011, 11:58

A new round of clean up. This time for the SVN repository.

The current structure is rather confusing. For example "extras" has only one subfolder "licences": Will "extras" ever hold something else? "mediaSource/development" is empty. What is the "unsued" folder for (it also has example files)?

I suggest the following:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
licences/      - remove parent "extras"
media/         - like now, only lower case
mediaSource/   - remove development and the parent master, merge "unused" into it or delete it
 |-[subfolders] - clean them up (merge "Sound" and "sounds"? remove spaces in names and mixed cases? merge mascot and logo?)
CREDITS        - name all conributors
README         - like on git, explain all folders and special/unique files

Any opinions, suggestions and ideas (especially about the details for the subfolders of mediaSource)?
StefanP.MUC

Re: Clean Up, Part Three (Media, SVN)

Postby svenskmand » 07 Sep 2011, 22:40

The sound and Sound folder have different purpose. One is for the source files mosly Audacity project files, whereas sound is for the flac files which are the audacity files cut up and trimmed so that these files can be directly converted to ogg vorbis and used in the game.

The original purpose of development was that files we where working on could be committed there and then meged into the master branch, but i do not think anybody have ever used it.

Oh so that means you would like to have your name in the credits list now? ;P
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 07 Sep 2011, 23:23

I think the stuff in unused is stuff that was in the media folders with the game, but wasn't in use, so I wasn't sure if it was going to be used later or not.
We should probably rename the "Sound" and "sounds" folders to indicate what they actually contain.
Otherwise the suggestion looks ok.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 08 Sep 2011, 10:38

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Oh so that means you would like to have your name in the credits list now? ;P

No. ;) If I had to decide this, I'd not have a list like this at all. But if we must have such a list, then I have an opinion on where it should be. ;)
StefanP.MUC

Postby StefanP.MUC » 10 Sep 2011, 15:18

I just started the clean up:
- Moved licences one level up and deleted extras
- Media -> media
- merged unused with master and moved the subfolders directly into mediaSource, deleted empty development
- added README_MEDIA (same structure as on git)
- renamed credits-attributions to CREDITS

The subfolders of mediaSource still need some thinking and discussing (maybe it's fine already, but at least the naming scheme could be unified at least). I don't really have an opinion or wish there yet, because I never worked with the files in there.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 11 Sep 2011, 09:24

The subfolders look good to me, only thing is that we could rename "Full-size textures" to "FullSizeTextures" to follow the no-space naming conventions form the other folders.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 11 Sep 2011, 09:55

Yes, I think spaces and similar, confusing names (sounds and Sound) should be avoided. Everything else is up the SVN users (artists). :D
StefanP.MUC